Great Debate #1: Realism vs. Fun - Choosing the Winner

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers

Who won in the Great Debate: Realism vs. Fun?

Poll ended at July 1st, 2015, 8:16 am

Knut
72%
TundraPuppy
28%

Total votes: 149
FunkyFlip
Hunter

Re: Great Debate #1: Realism vs. Fun - Choosing the Winner

Post by FunkyFlip »

animations , animal behaviour when spooked , animal interactions with each other , Rendering distances , better camos or at least give us numbers so we can actually know which one is better , need one silent rifle for bigger game , all this you can go uber realistic , i vote for fun with adherence with reality . but i think the main thing here is rendering distance. 250m is nothing and with the reservers they launched like vdb and brr would just be nice to make those long kill shots . amount of animals is cool ,
KnifeSmile
Scout

Post by KnifeSmile »

Pratze wrote:Actually this way no winner can be declared.

I have to post for Knut because realism is important for me. If I don't vote for Knut I am basically saying "i don't care for realism". I also say "I don't care about fun" which is very against what I want to vote for. If I vote for TundraPuppy I am saying "I don't care about realism" which I would never want to be quoted on and "It's all about the fun" (which would perfectly fit on good ballanced realism) but can't be voted because its in the wrong context.

So my vote would be:

Go for realism, make it deep and imersive and make it reasonable for having fun, so all that silly keeping myself alive, using toilet, real life conditions in spawn numbers of animals etc. is not even worth mentioning. Make the animations immersive (kill animations), make the shooting more realistic (ballistics), make an effort to make the game real deep, real immersive... even more than now (its wonderful already) but don't sneak in arcade gameplay pushing all realism out of the window for the attempt of getting "the masses" to play this title. Its just not gonna happen with arcade in the coat of "fun".

This is hunting. Hunting is fun. Hunting is fun when realistic and immersive! Hunting is boring when "fun" gets treated as oposite of "realism".

I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts. I thought the debate was mis-defined from the beginning, as well - "fun" and "realism" are hardly mutually exclusive. I am a NON-IRL hunter who favors the "realism" side, though, because to be perfectly blunt the immersive realistic FEEL of the game is what attracted me to tH to begin with and a major reason I continue to play and invest money in it. That is precisely what makes it fun, compared to all those other shooting gallery "headshot hunting" games. So I think it's deeply mistaken to emphasize "fun" as an alternative to "realism". Not only does that totally miss what a large part of the players of the game probably value - RL hunters and otherwise - but devolving the game won't bring in mainstream audiences. In fact I suspect I, and players like me, are the closest thing to mainstream audiences tH is going to get, and I say that within reason, realism = fun. Dumbing that down is -not- going to bring in more people like me who are not typically hunting game players or RL hunters. If anything it may lose people like me because the immersive feel is pretty much the only thing bringing me - I don't have RL hunting experiences for the game to emulate, tap into, substitute for in the off-season, or make me feel nostalgic about, so the only thing I've got is that illusory feeling that I AM hunting while the game is running.
Countryhunter7
Tracker

Post by Countryhunter7 »

I'm a Avid Hunter IRL, and I would love to see theHunter to be more focused on Realism, so when Hunting Season isn't in IRL, it will always be in on theHunter!! :)
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

A total of 145 people bothering to vote speaks volumes.
butter8808
Hunter

Post by butter8808 »

I agree that you can't focus on one of these aspects and ignore the other or the game will get real boring real fast. I am a real life hunter, and I can tell you that making this game completely realistic is not feasible for long term sustainability. For example, a few years back I went Barbary sheep hunting in New Mexico, they are called audads in other parts of the country. I hunted for 7 days and literally hiked the soles off of the bottom of my boots. It wasn't until the evening of the 6th day that we even spotted sheep and put them to bed, then got in on them early and after about a mile and a half stalk, finally shot one. Now that was a freaking awesome hunt and a story I tell many of my non hunter and casual hunter friends, but you could not add that realism to the game and hope to keep people interested in playing it and paying for it. Sun up to sun down we hunted those sheep 12-14 hours a day for a week to finally get the payoff, you couldn't do that with this game. Bag limits in real life and hunting seasons are both realistic, but would any of us like it if we could only take one trophy animal of each species off of each reserve per season. Or if we could only shoot 4 geese or 7 ducks per spawn before we had to respawn as another day. The necessity of the huntermate, all though I realize some try not to use it, because we are looking at 2 dimensions that are tricking us into believing it's 3 and because our field of view is limited to much less than what our true peripheral vision would give us. Even with my surround sound or while wearing my 27 point headphones I can't pin point the location of a noise as well as I could in real life.
Do we all want to tag and field dress every animal that we shoot on the game, I for one do not.
The realism I want is in the environment, in the ai and graphics of the animals and the ability to feel like I am there. All the other little things are mostly irrelevant.
If the team keeps the focus on the game feeling realistic while still being enjoyable to play, then they are doing it right in my opinion.
Xtadeus
Spotter

Post by Xtadeus »

Realism ! Always realism !

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

So whatever came from all of this? Is this jus' another forgotten thread? Image Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

There was never any commitment to make changes to the game, based on the outcome of the debate. I think it was just to get a feel for what the general consensus is with regards the balance of fun and realism. The debate was very interesting. Both representatives put together fantastic cases. There is no right or wrong though. Change the game too much in either direction and you automatically alienate one group of players, which would have an adverse affect on subscriptions and ultimately, revenue. It is always going to be a balancing act for Expansive Worlds, one which I think it accomplishes pretty well at the moment. There are a few tweaks I would like which would make the game more realistic, and some that would make a bit less realistic. I suspect some people would scrap a lot of the "fun" features in favour of a more hardcore, realistic game. Whereas others might want the game to be a lot more fun, less complex and ultimately more "immediately playable".

So to answer your question, I doubt there will be any changes made to the game based on the debate. Perhaps future features may be influenced by it, but who knows.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

caledonianblues wrote:I doubt there will be any changes made to the game based on the debate. Perhaps future features may be influenced by it, but who knows.
I wonder tho' if they haven't made a few non-discussed tweaks already (doing it without our knowledge, to see if anyone notices certain things). I have noticed lately the drop it seems in the number of trophy animals one can find now in one hunt, as opposed to a few months back when it seemed their counts were up which, I had always thought to be a bit redundant, and unrealistic. If that was a tweak that has been implemented, well then, I'm happy about it. But I'm probably off my rocker thinking something like that has taken place, and the lack of trophy animals I seem NOT to find now is due to my own deficiency for not lookin' in the right places. It is true after a while one needs to change their huntin' patterns in this game, maybe it is time to change mine. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Crazyhorse
Scout

Post by Crazyhorse »

So I can't have a tank or belt felt .50 cal?? Racists. :)

I like the realism, if I wanted fake I'd play primal or deer hunter 2015.

Thanks,
CH

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”