Mallard Hunting Best Time?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Beano8U
Scout

Re: Mallard Hunting Best Time?

Post by Beano8U »

I found the hunt to be best at 7 or 8 am as the sun shines underneath the ducks and it is easier to locate the male mallards (and sort Mallards from other species, even though they have a distinctive silhouette) from a distance without using binoculars etc.
Just my preference though really. Not sure if spawn/break-off rates are affected by time though, but would be good to know.
Love your avatar there Dillion1111 :D

Edit: I also have a low spotting skill, so my technique helps me alot. I have 2 bronze Mallard trophies from hunting this way (and very proud of em haha)
Also, if I don't see many birds near me in the first 20 mins of game time, I reload the map unless I am in a comp. The spawn rates near me usually change.
(Thanks to HooCairs for the tip with Geese, which I believe would be similar with ducks or seems that way)

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Dillion1111 wrote:In real-life ducks are most active in morning and evening hours.....question is, was this bit of realism incorporated into the game?
I don't think so. I don't believe there is a right or wrong time to start the hunt, but if course there can be a good or bad spawn. I usually start mine at 6 or 7 in the morning, for realism purposes. Around here, we'd be finished duck hunting & eating breakfast by 8-9am.
testbreaker
Tracker

Post by testbreaker »

I go 5am and 1400 til dusk. I also use these times to go goose hunting as well.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I normally start a duck hunt at 7am, but I've had equally successful hunts starting later in the day. I don't think it makes any difference. If it does, I haven't noticed.
testbreaker
Tracker

Post by testbreaker »

I don't believe that a starting time really matters that much, in MP you(the host) basically have a 2 hour in-game window that you hunt before the incoming flocks taper off.
MaxPerilous
Tracker

Post by MaxPerilous »

I hunt all over the day and can't say the hunts feel all that different throughout. I will say, this hunt I'm on currently, I started at 1300 and shot the biggest mallard I've ever harvested at 1630, using HooCairs setup (as close as I could copy it anywasy).
Linden
Tracker

Post by Linden »

Deergobyebye wrote:Hey guys!

Was wondering what the best time to start a hunt if you're going for Mallards on Rougarou was?
There is NO a best time for that. Just go whenever you like, it's allthesame.
Kanethemoose

Post by Kanethemoose »

5:00 AM is my personal preference for duck hunting too, I have good luck at that time, but never remember to set t back when I switch maps again :)
2 Nontypicals, 18 Rares NT's Excluded
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The best time is when you're shooting ducks, ha ha...
but I go around 7, or 8, & done by 10 Am.
I don't think it really matters, though I don't like the foggy too early mornings.
IRl yeah I like really early, but in the game NO! :D
FHSdeer10
Spotter

Post by FHSdeer10 »

13:oo

Return to “General Chat”