Which animals go to sleep?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Ormy
Tracker

Which animals go to sleep?

Post by Ormy »

I tried to search this here but didn't get a clear answer. Which of the animals go to sleep and what time they do that? I remember reading that deer species go to inactive/sleep period from 8.00-14.00 or something. Is this still valid? And are there other animals which do this and what time? Thanks!
chewik
Outfitter

Re: Which animals go to sleep?

Post by chewik »

all deer species except reindeer, bears, pigs and canada goose.
Ormy
Tracker

Post by Ormy »

chewik wrote:all deer species except reindeer, bears, pigs and canada goose.
Alright, thanks! But what time they sleep? That 8-14? This means the best time to hunt deer species is early morning or late afternoon? No wonder i rarely get calls from red deer if they are asleep!
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

yes, usually during the day 9.00 -14.00. I prefer start my hunts early morning, 5.00 - 7.00, because no shadows ;)
Ormy
Tracker

Post by Ormy »

chewik wrote:yes, usually during the day 9.00 -14.00. I prefer start my hunts early morning, 5.00 - 7.00, because no shadows ;)
Heh thanks a lot! I might need to stick late afternoon hunts for red deer at Val-Des-Bois then since morning has too much fog to see anything.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Bears and pigs both sleep, as do the Canada Goose. The only species that appear to not sleep (at least as far as I know and have seen) are Reindeer, Red Fox, Coyote, Turkey, and Ibex. Not sure about Mallards, and I also don't know if the Kangaroo does or not because I don't hunt them.
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:
Bears and pigs both sleep, as do the Canada Goose. The only species that appear to not sleep (at least as far as I know and have seen) are Reindeer, Red Fox, Coyote, Turkey, and Ibex. Not sure about Mallards, and I also don't know if the Kangaroo does or not because I don't hunt them.
heh, You read it wrong ;) that exception is only reindeer, and no pigs, bears or goose ;)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

They don't sleep the entire time between 9.00 -14.00, just randomly during those hours. And they don't all sleep at the same time, each individual animal, or group, sleeps for an hour or so during that time. Most of the time between 9.00 -14.00 they are roaming.

I think I've seen turkey sleeping, but I'm not sure. I also think someone posted a picture of Kangaroos sleeping, but I've never seen it happen.
Personal Bests...
EclipseStar
Hunter

Post by EclipseStar »

chewik wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:
heh, You read it wrong ;) that exception is only reindeer, and no pigs, bears or goose ;)
He didn't read it wrong, you wrote it wrong.

I have seen all the species BnB said sleep so I can confirm those, never seen a reindeer, red fox, turkey, ibex, mallard or kangaroo sleep either so yeah...
T0MRf5
Outfitter

Post by T0MRf5 »

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65277

Don't forget you can help build a better understanding of this area by record times and locations of sleeping animals.

Return to “General Chat”