Val Des Bois - Names for map

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Knut
Outfitter

Re: Val Des Bois - Names for map

Post by Knut »

Tod1d wrote:Knut, good point. I think it would be good release the map with both English & French names.
I assume all of the English selections can be translated to French as well.
I think a healthy mix will be just fine. In the end thousands of foreign hunters and sightseeing tourists will have an impact on names :D
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
KTMax
Spotter

Post by KTMax »

I'm with Tod1d here! I think it would be best to have them in both French and English; having a mix would only confuse according to me.
So (just to be precise) you could have the French name and then the English in brackets afterwards, like so:
Arête Vieux (The Old Ridge)
Tisanière de Diable (Devil's Teapot)
ecc..

Furthermore I'm also voting for Oprawca as the name on mountain 1 because I also think it still fits eventhough it's not in French; it's a bit like the talest mountain in Australia called Mount Kosciuszko.
Monsieurigolo
Tracker

Post by Monsieurigolo »

Hi there !
Very good idea to rename some places of Val des Bois. But be careful with some french names
For Tod1d : Mont Grand Molaire : the correct name should be “la montagne Grande Molaire”, as molaire is a feminine gender word. Montagne is a feminine gender world. Mont is a masculine gender word, it should not be associated to a to a feminine gender word.
River paresseux : Rivière paresseuse (same : rivière is a feminine gender word, so paresseux as an adjective, should be accorded with rivière)
La cuvette pissoir sounds weird. In French, la cuvette is the bottom of the urinal and le pissoir is the whole toilet place (a vulgar name – hardly used) We would say : la cuvette des toilettes or vulgarly : « la cuvette des chiottes » , or familiar too, but less vulgar, « la pissotière »
Unreachable plateau stands for plateau inaccessible.
(and release the map with both English & French names is not a good idea, to my opinion)

For Knut :
Glacier longue : correct name is glacier long (Glacier is a masculine gender world, it should not be associated to a to a feminine gender word.)
Arête vieux : correct name is arête vieille (vieille is the feminine gender for vieux), but the correct name should be vieille arête
Tisanière du diable is correct but if french, tisane is herbal tea. The correct name for teapot is théière. (Théière du diable, in that case)
La mouille éloignée…this sounds veeeeerrry weird :shock: well, how to explain…in french, la mouille could be translated by the female "kum" (damn censorship...replace K by C) (in a very familiar way). So, did you really want to name this place “the far *** ” :lol: The correct way to translate moist is humide. Good way to translate remote moist could be le vallon humide (the wet mountain valley)
La cuvette relevée : huhu… I love this one. In French, that could also signify “the opened toilet lid”
Forêt de brocard : correct name is Forêt du brocard.
Échelle d'Mort : l’échelle de la mort
Combe d'Écossais : combe de l’écossais
Le Épaule de Frère : l’épaule du frère

Hope that will help
Here are three propositions for
Mountains / Hills
1: L’aiguille noire (the black needle)
2: La dent du diable (the devil’s tooth)
3: L’épaule du géant (the giant shoulder)

The river :
La serpentine (the river that snakes)

Lake N°3 : Lac du repos (the rest lake)
Lake N°4 : Lac du brochet (the pike lake)
Lake N°6 : La marmite (the pot)
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Monsieurigolo, thanks for the grammar check. Would you mind doing this again when we've decided the final names?
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Monsieurigolo wrote:masculine gender word [...]feminine gender word.)
Cheers, mate! That's one oft my biggest biggest weaknesses in my already horrible grammar skills.
Very helpful corrections!
Monsieurigolo wrote:the correct name should be vieille arête
Not necessarily. While grammatically incorrect, it's anyway often the geographic structure that is named first in geographical names on a map.
Monsieurigolo wrote:La mouille éloignée…this sounds veeeeerrry weird :shock: well, how to explain…in french, la mouille could be translated by the female "kum" (damn censorship...replace K by C) (in a very familiar way). So, did you really want to name this place “the far *** ” :lol: The correct way to translate moist is humide.
I knew that one.
Nonetheless mouille is an existing, used and thus correct geographical name. Check some topographical maps of the Haute-Savoie or Swiss Romandie Alps for reference, it's a quite common geographical denomination.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

I take it Val Des Bois is the newest addition to game reserves? The alpine scenery is awesome, my first visit there I saw a lot of Roe and Red Deer a couple of brown bear, but not much else. It is a nice lookin' map tho'. 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

BCKidd wrote:I take it Val Des Bois is the newest addition to game reserves? The alpine scenery is awesome, my first visit there I saw a lot of Roe and Red Deer a couple of brown bear, but not much else. It is a nice lookin' map tho'. 8-)
Yes it is a great map, although not the newest. ;)

All reserves here in the order they were released: http://www.thehunterwiki.com/index.php? ... able_Areas
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
vittring
Tracker

Post by vittring »

Mountain number 6: Klimtachaka

There should be names for the different climbing spots and the long cliff walls.
I suggest the climbable cliff wall above north camp should be called "Ättestupa".
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

HooCairs wrote:
BCKidd wrote:I take it Val Des Bois is the newest addition to game reserves? The alpine scenery is awesome, my first visit there I saw a lot of Roe and Red Deer a couple of brown bear, but not much else. It is a nice lookin' map tho'. 8-)
Yes it is a great map, although not the newest. ;)

All reserves here in the order they were released: http://www.thehunterwiki.com/index.php? ... able_Areas
Thanks HC, or are we jus' callin' you Hoo now? 8-) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

2. Des rochers d'Ibex
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “General Chat”