Turkey hunting - How close can you get?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
haNylanda
Tracker

Turkey hunting - How close can you get?

Post by haNylanda »

I was hunting turkey the other day, and was testing out the .22 Grasshopper.

For me, getting close to thous featherballs have been a challenge for me, until I got this supper close!
Animal score/fact

How close have you got?
Last edited by haNylanda on October 22nd, 2014, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knokke
Hunter

Re: Turkey hunting - How close can you get?

Post by Knokke »

you can almost touch them, if you're in a blind. I seem to remember that 50m was the average for me before they fled if I was hiding behind a rock or a tree.
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

look here http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/chewi ... /309716351
from 15m, no blind or stand, with B&C clothing ;)
cajunman45
Outfitter

Post by cajunman45 »

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

Turkeys have fur?
aridus
Tracker

Post by aridus »

I routinely get close enough to arrow them without having to aim off of the pin with the Snakebite (between 30 and 20 meters)

I use 3D Summer Forest jacket & 3D Summer Forest gloves. My pants don't do anything and my hat is B&C which doesn't count because not a deer.

Just on the ground in or near trees. No blind or stand.

Edit: they still can spook easy though. I have to be not moving and call them over. I've seen them spook up to 50 meters away when I'm not hunting them and just walking from point A to B

Here's one I picked up at 31 meters, with a hen at front at about 28 point something odd meters.

I was prone among the ground cover and waited until he got below 30m and then I switched to my bow and aimed during the popup and smoked him at 29 meters. Not a trophy but I just wanted to show it. You just aim the pin like you're trying to skim the top of them at that range.
Bonaventura
Outfitter

Post by Bonaventura »

Hunting turkey without groundblind or treestand is a job for people with excess patience and a high tolerance to frustration.
Taking a GB makes it very easy, however. Contrary to what a lot of community members and guide writers on this board have claimed in the past, turkeys do not spook at around 20m when you are hidden by a blind, but only at around 4-5m. When I was still (bow-)hunting them, my average kill zone lay between 6 and 12 metres.

ps:
haNylanda wrote:Animal score/fact
That is indeed "super close". How did you approach the fellow?
My season stats
Spoiler:
haNylanda
Tracker

Post by haNylanda »

Bonaventura wrote:Hunting turkey without groundblind or treestand is a job for people with excess patience and a high tolerance to frustration.
Taking a GB makes it very easy, however. Contrary to what a lot of community members and guide writers on this board have claimed in the past, turkeys do not spook at around 20m when you are hidden by a blind, but only at around 4-5m. When I was still (bow-)hunting them, my average kill zone lay between 6 and 12 metres.

ps:
haNylanda wrote:Animal score/fact
That is indeed "super close". How did you approach the fellow?
I did jump down from a treestand ;) So I did not realy get that close, due to that I manage to get a shot on him before he run off.
Knokke
Hunter

Post by Knokke »

cool ! "death from above" :)
Bonaventura
Outfitter

Post by Bonaventura »

haNylanda wrote:I did jump down from a treestand ;) So I did not realy get that close, due to that I manage to get a shot on him before he run off.
That's hilarious - and somehow proves my point that the shop should sell us parachutes for an all new hunting experience!
My season stats
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”