Mallard Duck hunting on a budget

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
MoonpieSpotlight
Hunter

Re: Mallard Duck hunting on a budget

Post by MoonpieSpotlight »

By the way, I read that one full spread has maximum attraction and adding more dekes doesn't increase attraction. So why have two spreads? Was that wrong?
haNylanda
Tracker

Post by haNylanda »

Well, where just asking about your folks experiences with duck hunting from ground-blind and no callers. Got a full spread, watherfoul blind and callers now.
And some callers for Geese, but no decoy for them yet.
Dillion1111
Scout

Post by Dillion1111 »

Knokke wrote:
I have two spreads (48) decoys set-up for both ducks and geese.
It looks like you didn't take the time to read the title of the post , nor my own post for that matter.
the title says it all: "hunting mallard on a budget". Two spreads totaling 48 decoys plus the two callers and the blind are certainly not what the original poster meant by "on a budget".
keep your two full spreads in your inventory, and start with only the long range caller. See how many birds you're able to get. Then add the short range caller, and see if you can get more birds. Then allow yourself to take your blind with you, and show us how many hundreds of birds you're going to shoot.
If anything, your post serves only to confirm what I'm saying: mallards can be fun, but you need the full equipment before it starts making fun.
now, back to the subject:
I would be interested to know how the others who try to hunt ducks with the minimum equipment are faring, as the original poster was asking, rather than how those with the maximum equipment fares.

Speaking of reading comprehension you should really try it.

I was referring to your post, NOT the OP.

The OP himself never said he had no decoys so your statement of having no decoys and just callers is not what the OP asked, he has 6 already.

But I was referring to your statement that the SHORT RANGE caller was worthless.

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID:

The problem with duck hunting is that the callers alone are almost useless (particularly the close range caller, that I would never have bought, have I known how useless it is).

MY statement was in regards to yours and the SHORT RANGE CALLER.

I also addressed where you ripped into the developers in regards to cost and gave MY OPINION on how cheap it actually is for the hours of entertainment it provides.
Dillion1111
Scout

Post by Dillion1111 »

MoonpieSpotlight wrote:By the way, I read that one full spread has maximum attraction and adding more dekes doesn't increase attraction. So why have two spreads? Was that wrong?

Long ago when I bought decoys I did not realize at that time that ducks spawn to the host and therefore I had bought two set-ups so others could use it.

Then after realizing it doesn't matter where you set-up on the map (there is no best location) that everything spawns to the host that you only need to find a spot that YOU like.

The area I have I like because it provides lots of open water without a lot of trees obstructing the view. Therefore I have both sets of decoys in the same area; however, I do have them separated.

This game has not been real clear on how area of effect works so let's say for argument sake that it is a circle and with 6 decoys you might have an area of effect of 10 or 20m wide, so imagine a cylinder with your decoys in the middle and this cylinder extends all the way to the sky and continues, any ducks that fly through that cylinder would then be attracted to your decoys. If said ducks were outside your cone of attraction then they would keep flying.

Now add 12 decoys and that cone area widens maybe it's 40m now, we dont' know because no one has told us.

with a full spread (24) you have the maximum attraction AT THAT LOCATION. So maybe my cone is 150m wide, so ducks flying around it or outside of it would not be attracted, which would explain why some flocks by and never look back.

Now with 2 spreads apart, approx 50m apart, when I look at my huntermate I have 2 distinct decoy images thus 2 spreads doing their own thing.

Suppose my cone of attraction was 100m wide, now with a 2nd set my cone overlaps but now i have extended it to 150m (due to being 50m from the other group) attraction radius.

I now have more of a chance that ducks will fly within one or both of those attraction areas.

If nothing else, I'm not going to leave a 2nd set in my inventory and never use them. I do however believe more birds break without callers and even with callers I seem to get more breaks.

If you want to join me sometime and see what you think please catch me online or send a message we'll try to schedule some time. I have the same thing for geese, again because birds spawn to the host and there is NO PERFECT SPOT on the maps, so I don't need two set-ups.

Return to “General Chat”