Brown Bear Bait Barrel Places on Val-des-Bois [Update V6]

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
M0UNTAINMAN
Scout

Re: Brown Bear Bait Barrel Places on Val-des-Bois [Update V5

Post by M0UNTAINMAN »

Deconstructed wrote: My guess is it is simply to close to the lodge. Note above how my second barrel has skyrocketed after removing the tent that was just over 400m away and lodges have a much larger non-spawn radius than do tents.
Yeah, you may be on to something there. I've seen others with barrels not far from here to the south and east that are attracting at optimal pace, but this must be a bit too close. Dang I really liked this spot! Thanks for the feedback.
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

M0UNTAINMAN wrote:Western barrel is real close to the same as violator31 (yes, I pretty much copied him)

7% after 9 hours 4 bait consumed. Saw one set of tracks in probably a 200 m radius around this barrel, but whatever, it's attracting.
Just as an after-thought, last night I went back to this spot & moved my tent to the north of the barrel. That way it is better suited for the wind. I originally had a treestand there to the west of the barrel. I wasn't entirely pleased with the "look" of that, so last night I hunted over my Bayou barrel (it suct) so I brought my tripod here. I put it in to the north of the barrel also.
I snuck in to see what might be there = 4 bears. I was worried that there was probably one about to attack me, so I stood up I waltzed right in there, put up my tripod, took down the treestand & exited the game.
Today the "west barrel" is at 47% and the southern barrel (that was planted the next day) is up to 45%.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Here's mine - one in middle@70 and one on island I put up cpl days later over 40 so building@max.
I'm interested to see how yours works out Violator - That is a nice area over there.

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

Radamus wrote:Here's mine - one in middle@70 and one on island I put up cpl days later over 40 so building@max.
I'm interested to see how yours works out Violator - That is a nice area over there.

Yeah, I will post the results here. I will probably be hunting there this weekend. I found a nice open valley for that west barrel. The south one is close to the river so it's kinda wide open also.
Your set-up looks & sounds very promising. GOOD LUCK!!!
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

hi radamus not seen you for a while,i have a barrel there seems to be growing ok +36 for 3 days and a few hours but checking it the most bears i have seen at it is two,i do not believe that vdb will produce many bears , but we will wait until it gets to the max
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Radamus wrote:Here's mine - one in middle@70 and one on island I put up cpl days later over 40 so building@max.

Hi buddy.
Please keep us updated on your barrels.
I have one in the Westhern part , like Violator31 and one in Easthern part of map. They are doing good , for now... 8/45 -- 12/41

THX

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

greylaghunter wrote:hi radamus not seen you for a while,i have a barrel there seems to be growing ok +36 for 3 days and a few hours but checking it the most bears i have seen at it is two,i do not believe that vdb will produce many bears , but we will wait until it gets to the max
Hey Bud! I haven't been back for a couple days but I need to slop the bears tonight, I will come back with a head count in a bit.

Update- First barrel, saw a few bears getting there, but no tracks around it yet- maybe a afternoon barrel? I started at 7am. Went to the north one on island and I'm ready to just call this "Grizzly Island" I only tracked 3, but spotted 7. Didn't get a read on all of them, too far for my spot lvl maybe. I had to wade through roe deer to get there though, it was poluted with them little devils- mostly females of course and males were small, but I bet with some effort you could slaughter them. That's what I'm hoping for where I put that tower on the point of that bend- seen a lot of stuff there.
I am uploading a vid I took of a bow shot on a bear at my barrel, sorry, I had to sacrifice my attraction build to see if I could get one across the river - 52m and it was awesome :D
I did notice, they spook a little worse than on Hemm and I think that's due to the open terrain along that river.
Summary: too early to tell, but that island is a home run at this point. My spot is around on the backside of that point as you can see in the pic- not the easiest to get to but I screwed up when I spotted my tent too close.

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Defiance_co
Scout

Post by Defiance_co »

Barrels

#1 63
#2 64
#3 64

I have topped the barrels up with bait, will have a quick peek for tracks sometime today

I also placed a tower, to see what crosses over a nice well used river crossing (hope it's in a decent place, we well see)

Have Fun

Tony
drphilphil
Scout

Post by drphilphil »

Quick barrel update from me as well:

#3 68
#4 52 (surpassed by #5)
#5 57

Barrel #4 will very likely be disassembled after being hunted down once, since it is decent but no top spot and has therefore no purpose really.
Will update the new location with what will then be barrel #6.
GetRight
Spotter

Post by GetRight »

My northern one is now @ 84, I moved my 2nd to the island the day after and it is @ 61
Code: Select all

Return to “General Chat”