tracking Rindeer

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BorgM
Tracker

tracking Rindeer

Post by BorgM »

The first time I hunted reindeer there was no problem with the tracking of them, but after the last patch I can follow the trails anymore. Maybe after level 5 in tracking?

1. The trails dissapear sometimes and a flock is lost. Then the trail get back after a while (10 minutes or more) So they become temporary invisible sometimes or what?

2 Sometimes it seems to be trails and not real animals. Here it is. I follow a trail of a flock. Theese animals goes in a straight line down the map eg. It is impossible to get close, they seems to move very fast. Then I start running and get closer - I have a ring around the track after a while, even a small one. They dont run at all and I newer hear any. And even if I run I dont get closer and can call them in. They don't run at all even if I do. And every one in the flock goes very straight. On the big map I have a straight line for them. Don't look as real animals. False trails instead.

I can't play there anymore if I want to hunt reindeer. If I set up a server or single.

Anyone must have the same problem?
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: tracking Rindeer

Post by Fletchette »

They do move very fast, and the tracks disappear when they leave the reserve. So if you're too far behind then, you won't be able to catch up before the tracks disappear.

You can catch up with them, if they don't have too much of a head start. I've done it a few times.
Personal Bests...
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

BorgM wrote:1. The trails dissapear sometimes and a flock is lost. Then the trail get back after a while (10 minutes or more) So they become temporary invisible sometimes or what?
AS said by Fletchette, the tracks disappear when they leave the reserve. But the track coming back is interesting.
Maybe they get re-activated when the animals re-enter the reserve/respawn from the pool? That would in my eyes not make sense and should be looked at.

BorgM wrote:2 Sometimes it seems to be trails and not real animals. Here it is. I follow a trail of a flock. Theese animals goes in a straight line down the map eg. It is impossible to get close, they seems to move very fast. Then I start running and get closer - I have a ring around the track after a while, even a small one. They dont run at all and I newer hear any. And even if I run I dont get closer and can call them in. They don't run at all even if I do. And every one in the flock goes very straight. On the big map I have a straight line for them. Don't look as real animals. False trails instead.
They're not false tracks. But they're often quite further ahead than the solid circle indicates. At least in my experience. You can find the same with bears quite frequently. I think it has to do with the nature of how they move. Roaming slowly for a bit a bit followed by bursts of faster roaming. For whatever reason it seems that tracks are laid down preferentially when the animals move slower, hence the confusing info on the HM.

However, there's one thing I took out of my experience of tracking these herds that move straight and fast north to south: It's never worth tracking those. Wasted time.
Focus on the ones that roam a little more chaotic. And don't focus on tracking too much.
I found it quite successful to go to the areas where they seem to be found frequently and then just stalk in wide circles until I come upon a fresh track (rarely), get a call or most often hear the non-I.D.-able sounds they make from one direction (most cases).
Tracking doesn't seem to be the method of choice here. However, once they've been spooked, it's nicely efficient.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Don't follow the migrating herds. Even if you walk you can barely catch up with them. And once you get close and start crouching you lose ground again big time.

It is much easier to stay more or less in one area.
- Start at the Koppartorp lodge (the one in the north) and go east to the open areas. There will be many.
- When you hear a call, use the rattle and they will come to you.
- Shoot a few from the herd and the rest will scatter.
- Follow them crouching. Very soon they will call again, now as singles.
- Call them to you and take them out one by one. I use the Snow camo and can let them come within 5-10m.
- With the Python you can take out many of them silently even if others are near. You have this bow in your inventory. ;)

Good luck!
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Hawkeman
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeman »

As HooCairs explains... Use a bow and they dont run far and call them back in to you. Gunshots scare mutch more and the waiting mutch longer.

Thats is my experience fore now.

HUMOR IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
Paul_Goselaar
Hunter

Post by Paul_Goselaar »

I lost the track but the reindeer I followed was wounded. I understood that a wounded reindeer can't exit the reserve, though it's tracks disappeared, the track is GONE. What is going on ? Which one is it ?

"The game mechanic is similar to that of the waterfowl. If a reindeer is injured, the migratory behaviour gets cancelled to prevent it from being out of reach of the hunter."
Last edited by Paul_Goselaar on September 1st, 2014, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Are you sure that you not simply lost track, but that the tracks disappeared?
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Paul_Goselaar
Hunter

Post by Paul_Goselaar »

Knut wrote:Are you sure that you not simply lost track, but that the tracks disappeared?

I'm positive, I'm not a newb, I know to find a track. Many times, some animal tracks are "hidden" ...under the terrain and I found them 100m or so from the last location, but this time I ploughed the terrain up and down in all direction but there is no track of that wounded animal. I wounded it with recurve bow and he was bleeding like hell. Funny thing is that on the first track , though is blood , it didn't say which kind of wound was...Something's not right...
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

I'm just asking because I generally have a hard time when tracking a new species. I'm simply so much used to see the domes further out that I have to deliberately remember that I have to track more cautious.

Return to “General Chat”