Nerf to Turkey Arrow/bolt hunting?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
killertut
Master Hunter

Re: Nerf to Turkey Arrow/bolt hunting?

Post by killertut »

björn stated in the status update, that only parts of the patch made it into the game (error) and all bows lack penetration. they seem to have fixed it in a mini-patch today. i will try bowhunting turkey to see if they die instantly.

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
Zyklus
Spotter

Post by Zyklus »

The silly thing is that now the Snakebite IS working as intended, and the other bows, while weaker, are ALSO acting more realistically (with the exception of the crossbow which has been mentioned by Bjorn).

I think that it is a good change if meta-hunting turkeys and coyotes are a thing of the past. Spamming kills for hunterscore instead of carefully planning shots for trophy kills is dumb.
drphilphil
Scout

Post by drphilphil »

Zyklus wrote:The silly thing is that now the Snakebite IS working as intended, and the other bows, while weaker, are ALSO acting more realistically (with the exception of the crossbow which has been mentioned by Bjorn).

I think that it is a good change if meta-hunting turkeys and coyotes are a thing of the past. Spamming kills for hunterscore instead of carefully planning shots for trophy kills is dumb.
I wouldnt judge on that too quickly, lets see how killable they are after the update.
Catafesta
Tracker

Post by Catafesta »

I also can't instant drop Yotes after the update (only if i manage to hit 2 vitals). Lung shoot gives Yotes arround 9s of wound time, spooking the whole pack away..
Zyklus wrote:The silly thing is that now the Snakebite IS working as intended, and the other bows, while weaker, are ALSO acting more realistically (with the exception of the crossbow which has been mentioned by Bjorn).

I disagree with you. For yotes, you had to aim their lungs to prevent them from fleeing. Now bowhunting for small games makes non sense.
The bright of the bows was the silent kills, and now it doesn't work anymore. If things stay as they are now, i would prefer to shoot with buckshot (for yotes) or birdshoots (for turkeys), still spooking everything, but at least i won't kill only a single animal.
REAPNASTY
Hunter

Post by REAPNASTY »

Old saying, "If its not broke then don't fix it"
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

Today's patch changed nothing on turkeys, some bows were modified ( longbow and recurve ) but the turkeys still fly away after getting one arrow in the middle of the body :
wound time 2.817 , shot distance 17.7m with the Snake ...
SeeDoe
Scout

Post by SeeDoe »

In my real life experiences i've never hunted turkey with bow, but even then hunting with shotgun, some groups would not spook after shooting one of the group...weird but has happened multiple times. Sad to hear of the penetration changes, I have yet to hunt turkeys since the update but i'm worried now.

One thing I can say is that I think the Snakebite at least has much better power/penetration than before. I hunted bears/reindeer last night, and had multiple instant kills.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Looks like shotgun for turkey to have a chance at more than 4 per hour.
To call this a little ballistic update is an insult, it's not an update it's an overhaul to the ideology in hunting turkey. It made the decoys and the bows pointless in this application. I was already happy with the recurve and the snakebite. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if maybe the birds didn't spook so far but you spend 15-20min bringing them. I shot one at 20m and it spooked turkey 130m away? that's total BS
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

I am not a hunter in real life but when i see this : http://youtu.be/rqd69Z1UlKQ?t=8m35s and compare to the game ...
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

Hopefully, the Crossbow has been returned to it's previous performance after the second patch yesterday, I'll give it a go and post back if Turkeys can be dropped instantly, otherwise, you're correct, the days of shooting multiple Turkeys from one group are over. Hunterscore would mean very little, other than you managed to get your turkey quota before these changes. If you can't drop Turkeys without spooking the rest, it is now a very unfair playing field.

Return to “General Chat”