Weapons NERFED?? Ya think?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
MoonpieSpotlight
Hunter

Re: Weapons NERFED?? Ya think?

Post by MoonpieSpotlight »

I shot a feral hog (big) in the side of the head with a .300 today at 5m and he went 170m before crashing.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

HAH!!! Now I just shot a moose at 11m with a Ten Point Xbow in the head (picture this time) and he dropped on the spot. Well, I guess that explains it then. The Xbow is more powerful than the .454. Thanks devs, for making this game easier now.
Sulfurblade
Hunter

Post by Sulfurblade »

Alphamale1956 wrote:I'll get right to it. Hunting in Hem for Reindeer, walking crouched when I suddenly stopped to the distinctive sound of a bear cresting a small hill in front of me. I quickly pull the .454 with scope and sure enough, he sticks his head over the hill. He then gives a head-jerk to me as he stops dead still. Crosshairs directly between the eyes at 16m and I fire. Now I always had the impression that the .454 at that distance has an impact of a fully swung sledge hammer. Well, I am stunned to see the bear take off!! I quickly rise and run to top of hill only 16m away while pulling the 7mm with scope. By this time he's about 100m away though, fortunately in a more or less straight line. I get a shot off before he disappears over another hill in the distance and was lucky enough to have hit him in the lung. At the screen, yep!! First shot 16m--Skull (of course, I do believe that there is skull behind the spot directly in between his eyes). But the shot that killed him was the lung shot!!! Are you kidding me?? Even if , for some dumb reason, the round glanced off his skull (and remember he was not moving during the shot and neither was I), the impact of that round on his head would have at the very least knocked him out not to mention the impact tremor compressing and crushing his spine. What have they done to these weapons?
I am glad you did not attempt this in real life!!! A bear has a tremendously thick skull you can penetrate via the ears and the eye sockets not between them even with a very large caliber hand gun like the .454 you are only going to make the bear very angry and if you were on the ground only a few meters away I would hate to see what would have happened to you afterwards...

As a bear hunter in real life I don't see anything wrong with your above account its exactly what would have happened in real life except you only risked your in-game life with your poor choice of location to shoot a bear.
Sulfurblade
Hunter

Post by Sulfurblade »

Alphamale1956 wrote:HAH!!! Now I just shot a moose at 11m with a Ten Point Xbow in the head (picture this time) and he dropped on the spot. Well, I guess that explains it then. The Xbow is more powerful than the .454. Thanks devs, for making this game easier now.

Again a Bears Skull is between 3-4 inches thick with a very high angle or slope which makes it akin to a tank... A Moose does not have these same characteristics!

In-fact the Alaskan Department of Resources did a test of guns vs bear skulls to learn more about ballistics and if any weapon had any reliability at all to stop a bear during a charge
and the results were stunning.... Your .454 could not penetrate nor the .44, nor the 308 rifle, nor the 30.06 the only gun that penetrated more then 25% of the time was a flat slug from a 12 gauge or better at uncomfortably close distance!!! Any slugs with rounding at the front also glanced like all the rifles did.

Again your in game results are no different then real life and you should never attempt to kill a bear by shooting it in the head....
Sulfurblade
Hunter

Post by Sulfurblade »

Alphamale1956 wrote:What I'm thinking about here is the impact of a powerful gun such as the .454 would just by making initial contact at a velocity that is practically the same as it left the muzzle (16m) would at the very least knock the animal unconscious if it was a graze and that he would definitely not be running like a track star. Even if you don't think that a round of that kind at that short of a distance would not turn his head into a red little pulp, then at least you would have to agree that there would be SOME sort of disorientation (and I'm being very conservative here with the damage being taken). He would NOT do a 180 and run for 150m.
Alpha,

I am sorry but your thought process just doesn't work with bears, yes they maybe slightly stunned this could very between a split second to maybe a minute or two, but he would only because very mad and agitated, as I have said previously bear hunters know to never ever shoot a bear in the head unless there is literally no where else to shoot and your life is on the line! And then its a crap shoot that you hit an eye socket or ear socket.... I suggest you talk to some bear hunters if you do not believe us "Online People who are Bear hunters" and I am sure they will tell you the same....

Just FYI another Animal that has an amazingly thick skull is the Beaver and for years the beaver killed more human beings in north america then any other animal why because trappers thought they could put the beaver out of its misery by shooting it in the head and to there surprise they often found themselves ****** off an animal with a tail so strong it can shatter the human femur in one blow. Moral of the story animals have varying degree's of skull and taking a head shot at anything is never a good option...
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

Simple message here is:

Animals are not humans.
theHunter is not an FPS game.

Headshots are not the "I win" solution.

Playing an FPS game and taking headshots at the light-bulb of a head humans have is vastly different from hunting animals with very thick skulls which in many cases are sloped as well. Also, animals have a much stronger fortitude than humans and can shrug off hits that would stun or kill a human.

To put it into perspective, how much force do you think there is behind the blow when one bear hits another one with his paw while fighting? It would put any human on their back for sure.

Broadside shots should always be used when hunting.

I know that in-game many people aim for neck or head to avoid having to chase the animal, which often happens if you just hit a single lung. Always easier when the animal dies on the spot.

But if you choose to go for head or neck shots, and it doesn't drop the animal then good luck finding it again :D
cajunman45
Outfitter

Post by cajunman45 »

Alphamale1956 wrote:What I'm thinking about here is the impact of a powerful gun such as the .454 would just by making initial contact at a velocity that is practically the same as it left the muzzle (16m) would at the very least knock the animal unconscious if it was a graze and that he would definitely not be running like a track star. Even if you don't think that a round of that kind at that short of a distance would not turn his head into a red little pulp, then at least you would have to agree that there would be SOME sort of disorientation (and I'm being very conservative here with the damage being taken). He would NOT do a 180 and run for 150m.

:lol: :lol: metal plate in bears skull :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Chat”