Permitted species for Weapons.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
0celot
Outfitter

Re: Permitted species for Weapons.

Post by 0celot »

philaitch wrote:Ocelot,

I hope the pure motives scenario is correct, however, did you raise an eyebrow over the Box Caller Bug fix, to cure Turkeys from answering it with an audio clue? Many people who have played it for years didn't realise it was broken, they have been answering it long before the introduction of the Owl caller, whatever FB's may claim.

Only 3 pages long, because I keep getting asked questions and in order to provide examples to counter points raised by other posters, if you don't wish to contribute or read it, that's fine too.
Ya I did a little bit. $1.30 for another caller that wasn't really needed since the other one worked. I see where you're going. That's why I said I was concerned too; none of your points are lost on me. But I think it's a little premature to cry foul just yet. We most certainly should keep EW on their heels. I think the very nature of this thread, shows the developer team that people are paying attention, and that their penchant for unnecessary add-on sales is thin ice.

So after that, we can we do? Wait and see, right? But sure can have some fun in the process.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

philaitch wrote: the cynic in me thinks that this could be the start of weapons being introduced with fewer permitted species, in order to sell them, species might have to be removed from the more general weapons
I am a natural born cynic and proud of it. It's an instinct that has served me well, and only hardened with experience. For example, the box caller debate:
philaitch wrote: Many people who have played it for years didn't realise it was broken, they have been answering it long before the introduction of the Owl caller, whatever FB's may claim
The devs only realized the box caller was working as a locator after they released the Owl caller. It was pointed out to them by: :o
arxiepiskopos wrote:after some minutes playing i noticed that that the old turkey box caller behaves (after the update) both like a caller and a turkey locator. I mean every time i call at the same turkey , the bird always calls back.
Anyone else noticed the same or am i loosing my mind?
Several players confirmed it worked as a locator before the update, but it was recognized as a bug and possible sales killer by: :shock:
HooCairs wrote:The box caller never worked as locator caller. If turkeys call right back when using the box caller, there is a bug (and no need for the locator caller)... ;)
Now here's the cynic in me:

When have they ever discovered a bug, tested for it, confirmed it as a bug, and squashed it that fast before? literally in the next update?

To the cynic in me it looks to me like they fixed it quick to protect sales of the locator, and covered it up by saying it came with it's release. It's definitely fixed now though... :evil:
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
0celot
Outfitter

Post by 0celot »

JimboCrow wrote:When have they ever discovered a bug, tested for it, confirmed it as a bug, and squashed it that fast before? literally in the next update?

To the cynic in me it looks to me like they fixed it quick to protect sales of the locator, and covered it up by saying it came with it's release. It's definitely fixed now though... :evil:
So what do you suppose we do?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

@ philaitch

You said you looked at the terms of service and couldnt find any reference that covered the situation.
It was always there, as I knew it was.

The Company reserves the right to change any and all content, software and other items used or contained in the Site and any Services and Platform Applications offered through the Site at any time without notice. Reference to any products, services, processes or other information, by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, supplier or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by Company.

However, there is always the possibility of a retrospective change to the conditions of service as well.
Many of the improvements we have seen over the years have resulted from such discussions on the forums.

The turkey caller was never sold or advertised as a locator. It was meant to be a caller/attractor pure and simple.
The fact that turkeys have a high calling rate masked the fact that turkeys were responding to it.
(Many people use the deer grunt as a locator and swear that deer respond, when in fact they dont.)
It is obvious that even if it was recognised earlier as a bug, on the list of priorities it was never very high, ( people seldom complain when they get something extra), but no doubt the introduction and testing of a locator bought the situation to the fore and it needed to be addressed.
That with the introduction of the turkey decoys was another positive move by the devs to enhance gameplay.
makes perfect sense to me. I fail to see any hidden agenda there.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

DanthemanBoone wrote:I fail to see any hidden agenda there.
There was no agenda. When alerted that the box caller was working as a locator, they fixed it. If they'd known beforehand they would have fixed it beforehand. They reacted, they had to, to protect the locator / decoy release. Saying it was a bug in the release was just easier than dealing with a backlash against changes to the box caller.

Listen, I hate conspiracy theories and loathe conspiracy theorists. I think they're nuts. So here I am, I know how it sounds, and it pains me to bring it up. However, I noticed a change in the box caller only after the 'locator bug' was removed. Up to that point, I hadn't noticed any difference: turkeys had always responded to the box caller; now they don't.

Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

Thanks to the posters who pointed out the relevant paras in the terms of service, for some reason, I thought they were pertaining to the website and not the in-game content. If they do indeed pertain to the in-game content, my initial question has been answered.

Having spent over $500 on 2 years membership and the purchase of equipment, I will think carefully before committing any more money on equipment that may be changed.
Derektutor
Spotter

Post by Derektutor »

If restrictions were open then sales would be much higher for sure. It is definitely what stops me from buying different things.
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

With the impending introduction of the Primal Riot 12 Ga shotgun to the Hunter, the ethical argument about permissible species has gone out of the window. If it is ok to shoot ANY species with this gun, then it should be ethical and permissible to shoot turkeys with the .44 and all the other weapon/species combinations that were changed in the past. Please reinstate the permissible species for these weapons and show the community that it wasn't done just for financial and sales reasons.

PS. Been a while since I've been called a Newbie :D :D :D
MrLokk
Tracker

Post by MrLokk »

Shotguns are ethical with all animals as long as the right ammo is used. The new Primal shotgun is no exception.
phil1
Hunter

Post by phil1 »

A riot shotgun may be permissible, it certainly isn't ethical.

Return to “General Chat”