New projectile trajectory, penetration and damage

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: New projectile trajectory, penetration and damage

Post by HooCairs »

Knut wrote:
Musodacan wrote:I understand that this change triggers uproar, but some damages were ridiculous, kill a rabbit at 200 m with a air rifle is an example.
I don't think the air rifle was affected by the change.
The air rifle should already use this system and didn't need change. Björn said that only weapons/ammo before the 9.3x62 needed that fix.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

This game is 5 years old already but unlike the old CD based games, the hunter is constantly being updated and improved..
The ballistics models and coding used in the original set up were probably older than that when they were grafted into the game.

The rack system we started with was overhauled and replaced early in the new regime once EW took the reins.

A new and improved ballistics system is just another step in the evolution.

Who knows. we may just end up with the best ballistics and animal/bullet damage set of parameters yet seen in a hunting game.
It may also lead on to an upgrade of the arrow ballistics and penetration we all keep begging for.
Last edited by DanthemanBoone on July 30th, 2014, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
MetalMind
Outfitter

Post by MetalMind »

HooCairs wrote:
Knut wrote:
Musodacan wrote:I understand that this change triggers uproar, but some damages were ridiculous, kill a rabbit at 200 m with a air rifle is an example.
I don't think the air rifle was affected by the change.
The air rifle should already use this system and didn't need change. Björn said that only weapons/ammo before the 9.3x62 needed that fix.
Also .223 was released after 9.3x62, so that's why it wasn't mentioned on the change list :) Now people who were worrying about not fixing .223 can breath with sigh of relief ;)
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Well to be perfectly correct it says
This system has been applied to most new weapons since the release of the 9.3x62 Rifle.
That leaves plenty of room for the forum guessing to continue. ;)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
T0MRf5
Outfitter

Post by T0MRf5 »

It is easy to check. To be honest it would have saved some bother of me reporting it as a bug if they had mentioned it. I can understand why they didn't. It always struck as odd why it was only the newer released models. The most will be because guns which use existing ammo were not affected.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

HooCairs wrote:Well to be perfectly correct it says
This system has been applied to most new weapons since the release of the 9.3x62 Rifle.
That leaves plenty of room for the forum guessing to continue. ;)
I guess that refers to all guns with pre-existing calibres introduced afterwards, like the .300 carbon, the rival, the shotguns, the K98k - all of those were mentioned to be changed now. Actually now that I make this list, I think "most" is actually rather optimistic use of the word :D
Last edited by Knut on July 30th, 2014, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Jex_TE
Scout

Post by Jex_TE »

Eggenberg wrote:
Jex_TE wrote:It's the time - 10 years and they still haven't worked out a ballistics model?
At least they're addressing the issue now - better late than never IMO :)

I guess you could count yourself to be in the fortunate position of having recently entered the game and within a short space of time you've gone from the more simplified ballistics model to something approaching the model that other games have - ArmA being foremost in my mind - the nuts & bolts of which we're soon to find out. A lot of players have had the older, simplified model from the word go so let's see what the man has in the bag before we start shouting them down for not having implemented improved ballistics when they took over development ;)

LOL yeah I guess so :)

I wouldn't be here today if I was playing this game in 2009 it seems - must have been pretty crap on release.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

It's better now. But true to the marketing, it always has been the most realistic hunting game available. And thus the much better alternative to any other game.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Jex_TE
Scout

Post by Jex_TE »

DanthemanBoone wrote:This game is 5 years old already but unlike the old CD based games, the hunter is constantly being updated and improved..
The ballistics models and coding used in the original set up were probably older than that when they were grafted into the game.

The rack system we started with was overhauled and replaced early in the new regime once EW took the reins.

A new and improved ballistics system is just another step in the evolution.

Who knows. we may just end up with the best ballistics and animal/bullet damage set of parameters yet seen in a hunting game.
It may also lead on to an upgrade of the arrow ballistics and penetration we all keep begging for.

OK so EW inherited the game and weren't responsible for the beginnings, that at least explains why we are where we are today then.
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

Jex_TE wrote:I wouldn't be here today if I was playing this game in 2009 it seems - must have been pretty crap on release.
Not so crap that a fair amount of folk haven't stuck around to witness the transformation of what it was to what it's becoming though :)

Return to “General Chat”