rain, and why we need more bear noises

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
0celot
Outfitter

rain, and why we need more bear noises

Post by 0celot »

So I'm following a bear.. it had been a long trip so far. I had winged him in the shoulder... and he had eluded more what felt like hours.. losing me in the reeds and brush. I found him again on the rise of a hill, and again he took off. I followed him with my scope as he zigged back and forth finally losing me again in a forest. That's when I really lost him. Again. Had had fled back tracking on his trail...

So I went on my merry way... coming to a large beach head with a tall hill. I found part of his trail, and it showed a large solid circle... it immediately flashed with a dotted line. That didn't feel right, but alas I shrugged and carried on. It was as I had trudged through the swamp that the rain had started.

As I crested the peak of this hill I seen a pond, at the precipice of the ponds waters was the bear. I could hear nothing but the rushing of the rain... Still, my ears strained.. for at that moment, the bear jaws had opened into a maw. I could see he was roaring. I seen him lean in, and again, his jaws stressed into a this mighty roar.

At this point, I was still shocked. I realized that when he was done making his point with this second roar, that I was going to be educated in the application of his point. And then rest on his points.

I grabbed my 8x57, BOOM. His pointed was finished.

Still, would the rain really cover the roar of a bear? Goodness I hope not. What about the other ambient sounds of bears? The other thing is that the brown bears... you can hear them miles away practical with their thundering steps... black bears not so much, and that makes sense to some degree... but, it needs to be better? What are we missing?
0celot
Outfitter

Re: rain, and why we need more bear noises

Post by 0celot »

:: crickets :: wall of text story scare everyone away?
Boris
Spotter

Post by Boris »

Same with any animal man, the rain in this game is too loud - can't hear anything.

It's raining outside of my house right this very moment, yet I can still hear little birds the size of my hand chirping in a bushy tree.
0celot
Outfitter

Post by 0celot »

Hey that's not a bad idea... More variance. See, on Sunday we did have the rain pound like in tH. You really couldn't hear anything other than the rain for a while... However, that's not how it was for the entire storm. It was as you said, enough for the birds to apparently enjoy and be heard.

But I'm thinking about the bears here too.. They grunt, growl, slurp, etc; and to some degree that's represented in game... But it just feels like the current representation is missing something. I'm not sure what that is, cause honestly I don't spend a lot of time around wild bears lol.
Boris
Spotter

Post by Boris »

0celot wrote: But I'm thinking about the bears here too.. They grunt, growl, slurp, etc
I think you kinda missed my point :roll:

If I can hear tiny little birds chirping when it rains outside my house... Why can't we bear big ass bears in the game if it's meant to be semi realistic?
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

Boris wrote:
0celot wrote: But I'm thinking about the bears here too.. They grunt, growl, slurp, etc

If I can hear tiny little birds chirping when it rains outside my house... Why can't we bear big ass bears in the game if it's meant to be semi realistic?
Because sometimes it -does- rain that hard in real life. It was raining this morning outside the house - I have a street with loud cars and garbage trucks. You quite literally could not hear the cars or trucks going down the street about 40 feet in front of the house, from the front porch, due to the rain. Yeah, sometimes you can hear birds during a light rain. Sometimes, the sound of really loud rain is going to completely overpower birds, bears, and garbage trucks.

As 0celot says, the problem isn't that the rain is loud, per se, it's just that it's binary - it's either MASSIVE DOWNPOUR, or NO RAIN. Sure, having quieter rain would be nice, but for atmosphere, it might be nice to sometimes have some loud storm/rain sounds.

As I have said here: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 58#p371158
TundraPuppy wrote:Rain is really schizophrenic in this game. It turns from sunshine into a full blown rainstorm in about 15 seconds, rains for 10 minutes with heavy fog and haze, then suddenly turns from a full blown rainstorm into sunshine in another 15 seconds. It usually leaves me scratching me head thinking "...what in the hell just happened?"

Would really be neat to see a thunderstorm rolling in from across the hunting reserve, light rain falling for 20 minutes or so, then a full blown thunderstorm with lightning and thunder which lasts for an hour or two, before it slowly turns back to a drizzle as the clouds move past.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
Akemaru
Outfitter

Post by Akemaru »

0celot wrote: They grunt, growl, slurp, etc; and to some degree that's represented in game... But it just feels like the current representation is missing something. I'm not sure what that is, cause honestly I don't spend a lot of time around wild bears lol.
They pass wind a lot when walking, that is what is missing :)
0celot
Outfitter

Post by 0celot »

TundraPuppy wrote:
Boris wrote:

Because sometimes it -does- rain that hard in real life. It was raining this morning outside the house - I have a street with loud cars and garbage trucks. You quite literally could not hear the cars or trucks going down the street about 40 feet in front of the house, from the front porch, due to the rain. Yeah, sometimes you can hear birds during a light rain. Sometimes, the sound of really loud rain is going to completely overpower birds, bears, and garbage trucks.

As 0celot says, the problem isn't that the rain is loud, per se, it's just that it's binary - it's either MASSIVE DOWNPOUR, or NO RAIN. Sure, having quieter rain would be nice, but for atmosphere, it might be nice to sometimes have some loud storm/rain sounds.

As I have said here: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 58#p371158
TundraPuppy wrote:Rain is really schizophrenic in this game. It turns from sunshine into a full blown rainstorm in about 15 seconds, rains for 10 minutes with heavy fog and haze, then suddenly turns from a full blown rainstorm into sunshine in another 15 seconds. It usually leaves me scratching me head thinking "...what in the hell just happened?"

Would really be neat to see a thunderstorm rolling in from across the hunting reserve, light rain falling for 20 minutes or so, then a full blown thunderstorm with lightning and thunder which lasts for an hour or two, before it slowly turns back to a drizzle as the clouds move past.
Ya I agree here, and Boris I didn't miss it.. I was agreeing. I guess I'm suggesting that a) the rain needs variance as tundra more clearly explains and b) bears need more ambiance to their behaviour.. And as you say, maybe their current behaviour needs more tweaking so their not as stealthy?
0celot
Outfitter

Post by 0celot »

Akemaru wrote:
0celot wrote: They grunt, growl, slurp, etc; and to some degree that's represented in game... But it just feels like the current representation is missing something. I'm not sure what that is, cause honestly I don't spend a lot of time around wild bears lol.
Actually, I've heard that's true.. But I just can't picture EW adding that...
Akemaru
Outfitter

Post by Akemaru »

0celot wrote:
Akemaru wrote:
Actually, I've heard that's true.. But I just can't picture EW adding that...
It would be hilarious though, ofc the first time any body hears it they would miss with the shot :lol:

Return to “General Chat”