Tip of the week [NOMINATE]

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Re: Tip of the week [NOMINATE]

Post by FR_Bugs »

@K4n4y : Excellent !!! i'll try this as soon as possible ;)
Sergeri
Spotter

Post by Sergeri »

It is possible to kill an animal stuck outside of the map boundaries by using a bow or crossbow , just walk back +|- 50 meters and aim above the stuck animal, you will not receive the message saying you are not allowed to shoot, and with the gravity effect your arrow will land on target if aimed properly.

Next step is to run, collect, and get the hell out of there before you are 'expulsed' to a lodge
SUPERWEP7
Tracker

Post by SUPERWEP7 »

The standing advice for dealing with a spooked animal is to lower your stance and track it until it roams again. I can think of some instances where this isn't necessarily the best approach, at least for me. In order to determine what to do when your animal spooks, try to familiarize yourself with the general layout of the surrounding terrain.

If you spook one and it dashes into the forest, then yes, waiting it out or stalking it slowly until it calms down is probably the best approach. However, say, for example, it dashes over a rise, you're close, and you know for a fact that there's nothing but wide open field on the other side: sprint after the animal with all your might, and at the top of the rise, crouch down and scan the field. There's a good chance that you'll still have a clear shot at the animal with a scoped weapon.

I've put a bullet in the back of quite a few fleeing animal skulls this way, and I'm not even that good of a shot.
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

Hawkeye wrote:When hunting rabbits in Bushrangers Run, where the terrain is often flat, pack a Tripod stand. You can set it up near the warrens and have elevated 360 degree unobstructed view to your rabbit holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Great tip! I want to start hunting rabbits regullary and was wondering if you could share coordinates for that matter? :)
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
firebos7

Post by firebos7 »

CHOSEN AS THE TIP OF THE WEEK

When hunting waterfowl don't just blast the first one that comes into range

Take a minute to check out the birds and pick out the one you really want (the big fatty or specially coloured one ideally)

If they are all the same size, waiting to shoot while they are circling lets you notice their flight pattern and quite often they will fly close enough together for you to get 2 with your first shot
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

If you are playing on a low-end computer and every FPS gain counts, start your hunts at 09:00 or later (but not too late) . You will avoid fog and light effects that would otherwise reduce your FPS.
eLxarius

Post by eLxarius »

A tracking tip:

Especially if you're on your way to track an injured animal of a herd, there is a simple way to follow this track effectively while
earning more tracking-xp by collecting all the other tracks around. (Usualy animals of a herd flee in the same direction):

Get up your blood-track and start your search. When you see the next track of your target, don't collect it immediately,
just remember the exact position. Collect the foreign tracks around it, but don't go too far (don't loose the sight of your actual track).
Pick up your actual track and resume your search. Repeat the procedure until you find your trophy.

Current track & Foreign track:
Image Image

Pictures from http://thehunterwiki.com / © NAOutdoors
Last edited by eLxarius on March 24th, 2015, 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Huntername: EfMC_eLx
Ludante
Outfitter

Post by Ludante »

CHOSEN AS THE TIP OF THE WEEK

When using callers while on a TS, I get down and move away about 10-15 meters and then start calling, that way when I return to TS bigger group of animals is approaching to a point in front of the TS instead under my TS (if you wait for a particular male/female).
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
MaxPerilous
Tracker

Post by MaxPerilous »

The Hunting Formula;

Patience >= Skill. The more patience you have the less skill will be required.

Hunt the easy way. Move slowly, glass around, be aware of your surroundings. When there is nothing to shoot, look at your immediate surroundings and plan an ambush scenario. Visualize how you want an encounter to play out. This way you can be prepared, so WHEN you do find your game, mentally you've already harvested.

If you are in an area you find it would be hard to set up an ambush, you are not in an area that can easily be hunted and should think about finding a different spot. It's all about LoS (Line of Sight). The more area you have LoS on, the easier it will be to set up your ambush and to identify your quarry. Essentially giving you more time to react, and more importantly, time and space to prepare.

Take the few extra seconds/minutes to make that first shot count. It will save you minutes/HOURS after you shoot, and plenty of hours in the long run. Always try to set up a broadside shot. When the animal is broadside it is the easiest to get a double lung shot. Also where to aim (Sight Picture) is very similar for many animals when they are broadside to you. The more comfortable you are, the more confident, the more successful the hunt.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Use "Alt"+"Enter" to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “General Chat”