Thinking of picking up the Parker....

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
d_rich
Spotter

Thinking of picking up the Parker....

Post by d_rich »

Hi,
I'm trying to make up my mind on the Parker and wondering if you could clarify something for me?

So I'm a big fan of bow hunting in this game. I like how quiet bow hunting is, the no species limitation, and the challenge of making a skillful shot. With the bow, I don't like have the animal come up to my blind as point blank shots don't do much for me. Currently, I'm using the snakebite and it's ok ... meh. The main thing that bugs me is the penetration of the arrow on larger game, as it makes me track them down. Especially, with the recent body shot debacle. As of recently, tracking hasn't been a highlight for me personally.

I was shooting some Mallard with a friend who owned a Parker. He didn't make shots and more accurately than I did. (No offense) For those who have purchased the Parker, how have your experiences been as of late? Does the 3 pin sight, the extra quiet shot, and loss of power, justify the price tag?
WhiteRabbit
Outfitter

Re: Thinking of picking up the Parker....

Post by WhiteRabbit »

The Parker is the best for birds. I used it on some coyote a few days ago and it didn't spook the other coyotes right next to the one I downed if it's an instant kill. The sound of the snakebite usually scares them away. Also, I was goofing around and managed to shoot a doe at 309 foot (94Meters) with it. I had to track it quite a ways and obviously that was a lucky shot.
I prefer the snakebite or the recurve but I think the parker is worth it if you can afford it. Everything has it's own uses and it really depends on what you want to hunt more. I would not recommend the Parker for everyday use on big game BUT I did shoot my biggest moose (227) with the parker. I also shot my biggest Elk (399) with the parker. Both oddly at 34 meters.
d_rich
Spotter

Post by d_rich »

WhiteRabbit wrote:The Parker is the best for birds. I used it on some coyote a few days ago and it didn't spook the other coyotes right next to the one I downed if it's an instant kill. The sound of the snakebite usually scares them away. Also, I was goofing around and managed to shoot a doe at 309 foot (94Meters) with it. I had to track it quite a ways and obviously that was a lucky shot.
I prefer the snakebite or the recurve but I think the parker is worth it if you can afford it. Everything has it's own uses and it really depends on what you want to hunt more. I would not recommend the Parker for everyday use on big game BUT I did shoot my biggest moose (227) with the parker. I also shot my biggest Elk (399) with the parker. Both oddly at 34 meters.
I like both worlds of hunting, small and big. I'm more curious if I would make better shots with the more expensive weapon. But I guess there is only one way to find out...

<.< . . . >.>
http://imgur.com/00qg6il
eFx7
Hunter

Post by eFx7 »

Just throwing this out there, you might want to wait to see if the Parker goes on sale for one of the upcoming Easter events. Unless you don't care about pricing, then nevermind. :)
Outacontrol
Outfitter

Post by Outacontrol »

The Python is hands down the weakest bow in the game. If penetration bothers you with the Snakebite, you will not like the Python. For turkey and coyote, the Python is hands down the best bow in the game. If you want penetration, there are two other option. The Longbow is quite and it is more powerful than the Snakebite out to 20 meters. The longbow is more quiet than the Snakebite. On the other hand, the bow that is the true beast in the game is the Recurve. The Recurve, out to 25m, hits like a cruise missile and you can double lung a moose or a brown bear with it. It might be slightly more quiet than the Snakebite. It doesn't take long to figure out the aiming point of either the Longbow or the Recurve and both bows are much better than the Snakebite at ranges out to 20 meters. I have almost quite using the Python for coyotes, I much prefer the Longbow. I have not picked up the Snakebite in a very long time, I will grab the Recurve or the Longbow. Both bows are better for how I hunt than the Snakebite. I will never leave the tent without the Python when it come to turkey though. When in a turkey competition, I take the Python and the Longbow. The Python is great for turkey at long range and the Longbow can not be beat for turkey at 25meters or closer. For big game, The Recurve is always with me.

Unless you want a coyote and turkey bow, avoid the Python. If you want a big game bow to take large animals, the Longbow and the Recurve would be what you want. I have lung/heart shot many brown bear with the Longbow and double lunged many brown bear and moose with the Recurve. Those are the bows you want if you are looking for penetration.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

for me best is Snakebite . powerful and only one red dot , simple and efficient . i don't like the python and its 3 dots , the time you check which dot is good one game can escape . recurve is cool but with no aiming you need to be very close
Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

WhiteRabbit wrote:The Parker is the best for birds. I used it on some coyote a few days ago and it didn't spook the other coyotes right next to the one I downed if it's an instant kill. The sound of the snakebite usually scares them away. Also, I was goofing around and managed to shoot a doe at 309 foot (94Meters) with it. I had to track it quite a ways and obviously that was a lucky shot.
Completely agree.
I won't use the Python for bigger game than coyotes. It's excellent for bird hunting. Long shots are no problem.
d_rich
Spotter

Post by d_rich »

jpm1 wrote:for me best is Snakebite . powerful and only one red dot , simple and efficient . i don't like the python and its 3 dots , the time you check which dot is good one game can escape . recurve is cool but with no aiming you need to be very close
I actually am enjoying the 3 dot sight. While in a tree stand I could take note that 150ft is the middle red dot, while a closer 80ft was the top green dot. However, it's so hard to tell the difference between the snakebite and parker with all the bugs going on right now.

Everything is a body shot. I can't judge power based on that. Or like when I was hunting from within my ground blind. Turkey came up real close, I took a clean shot and it didn't register what so ever. Moved over and fired again, but same thing. Later, I ran over to a tree stand and hit 3 females turkeys like nothing. So frustrating.
d_rich
Spotter

Post by d_rich »

eFx7 wrote:Just throwing this out there, you might want to wait to see if the Parker goes on sale for one of the upcoming Easter events. Unless you don't care about pricing, then nevermind. :)
Thanks for the heads up, but 35-ish % doesn't make or break a deal in my opinion.
eFx7
Hunter

Post by eFx7 »

d_rich wrote:Thanks for the heads up, but 35-ish % doesn't make or break a deal in my opinion.
Alrighty then! That's why I said nevermind if you didn't care about pricing. :lol:

Enjoy your Parker Python :D

Return to “General Chat”