17 hmr

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: 17 hmr

Post by SoftShoe »

RidgeBack69 wrote:I believe the spook radius is smaller on the plinkington. But I do not own the .17HMR to test it.

I know the Plinkinton does not spook animals beyond 75 meters. Maybe someone with the .17HMR can check if it is the same or more.
The 17 HMR doesnt spook at 85m. I just shot 2 pheasants sitting side by side at 85m & the 2nd one didnt react when I shot his buddy.

Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

SoftShoe wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:I believe the spook radius is smaller on the plinkington. But I do not own the .17HMR to test it.

I know the Plinkinton does not spook animals beyond 75 meters. Maybe someone with the .17HMR can check if it is the same or more.
The 17 HMR doesnt spook at 85m. I just shot 2 pheasants sitting side by side at 85m & the 2nd one didnt react when I shot his buddy.
that are pheasants. they dont spook when you ran next to them. also it did spook a mule deer at 135m.

and plinkington spooking radius was 100m with male turkeys; 75-85m with female
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Yeah you can't base spook range off pheasants sadly :) the Hmr is somewhere around the 150m range... but I could never quite pin it down.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Granti wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:

that are pheasants. they dont spook when you ran next to them. also it did spook a mule deer at 135m.

and plinkington spooking radius was 100m with male turkeys; 75-85m with female
Yes must be tested on turkey. But space your shots if you fire shots in to short of a time you will spook the plink will not spook at 75 meters male or female but lets use 80 meters to be safe.

When I am mass murdering turkey I use the box caller after every shot and that seems to be about the correct amounts of time.
Spoiler:
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

I feel the 17 hmr has kind of missed it’s market by trying to fill both roles. It’s too unreliable for foxes outside the ranges where buckshot or bow won’t do the job better and it’s spook range is just a bit to big for its other benefits to be worth taking over the 22 LR for mass goose or turkey kills. In a perfect world I think it would be a fantastic rifle if it had both more fox stopping power at range and the same or only slightly more spook radius than the 22lr. I’d settle for either tbh but as it has none it gets no use from me
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Granti wrote:
that are pheasants. they dont spook when you ran next to them.
Well that would skew the results then wouldn't it. :lol:

Sorry I havent really hunted Pheasant yet & didn't realize they didn't spook.

CAmulieman
Tracker

Post by CAmulieman »

I just got done with a time-wasting hunt where I tracked a bobcat a LONG ways, after being drilled from behind with a .223. In real life the bullet would have gone from rear end to out through head or neck. It's ridiculous how non-realisticly some animals react when wounded. Guess the devs don't have time to perfect every tiny problem.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Liam, you miss the point.
The hmr is a flat shooting, hard hitting round on small game.
If you care to not spook critters, us the .22. If you are seriously shooting foxes or cats, use the bigger rifles or buckshot. The effectiveness against birds and bunnies and some more versatility are its selling points.
Spoiler:
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

BuiuRei wrote:Liam, you miss the point.
The hmr is a flat shooting, hard hitting round on small game.
If you care to not spook critters, us the .22. If you are seriously shooting foxes or cats, use the bigger rifles or buckshot. The effectiveness against birds and bunnies and some more versatility are its selling points.

aw no doubt, but i just feel its lacking. i never use it even though i was massively for it when it was announced
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I had the opportunity to use the 17 on a Bobcat last night & I DON'T recommend it!

1st shot 140m perfect broadside. Hit her in the ribs. Game registers body hit. I track her for 660m before spotting again.
2nd shot 170m quartering away. Another good hit that should have been lung or at least stomach/intestines. Game registers body hit. I track her another 1400m (yep 1.4km) before I see her again.
3rd shot 70m shooting down & quartering away. Hit in the ribs again. Game registers body hit but she only goes another 40m before expiring.

Over an hour & 2km of tracking to get a 6.5 scoring cat

Return to “General Chat”