Status Update - 1st February 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
1Al
Hunter

Re: Status Update - 1st February 2018

Post by 1Al »

HooCairs wrote:Now I am aware there are a lot of skilled players around that will deal with this easier, but for me as the average player the frustration outweighs the patience by far. I hope you all have completed the mission where you need to shoot a charging grizzly. Now let's just move on.
I totally agree. It's a shame what they made with bears.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

HooCairs wrote:I tried. I really really tried. I thought we have two "new" animals now and wanted to show what it takes to hunt them. I made and then deleted a few hours of video footage trying to explain what was going on. I struggled, no I totally failed. Not one bear shot. Now I am aware there are a lot of skilled players around that will deal with this easier, but for me as the average player the frustration outweighs the patience by far. I hope you all have completed the mission where you need to shoot a charging grizzly. Now let's just move on.

Thanks again Hoo. I don't believe these changes are playtested at all.
If any dev would sit down and look how long it would take him to kill 10 Grizzlies and through what emotions he goes while getting those 10 bears things wouldn't be like they are.

They added two animals with Piccabeen, [as Rusa und Sambar are quite difficult to get (The Rusa have a lure, but they call so rarely that you are almost never aware that they are close)] and pretty much removed two bear species in the process.
HawkEye81
Tracker

Post by HawkEye81 »

I tracked 9 only yesterday, ALWAYS crouching, full TGT camo and 8 of them flee from about 60 meters or even more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5rAe-16-uE

Pretty much all of the time I got fleeing tracks after roaming but without even seeing that bear(or see him in a far distance running like hell).Also it seems that if you spooked a bear once you won't manage to get close to him even after he returns to roaming, you have to cover a big distance while crouching to find out that after just few tracks of roaming he's fleeing again(to me it seems that the second time they spook from even a bigger distance, but I might be wrong, I would like to hear if any other players had a different experience tracking them).

Only one charged but he didn't finished the attack, he stop attacking after 20-30m and I think he tried to run away ? (it was in an open area so nothing could block him to get to me) I manage to take him down with .454 (for the mission in which you need a to take down a grizzly with .454 while he is charging but it seems that the animal state was idle... ?

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/hawk ... /589150573)

Maybe crouching isn't enough so I have to go prone from at least 80m so they won't flee?(This in the case I will be lucky enough to see them unspoke in a open area) but then I'll have to figure how to make them charge...

So congrats for the lucky ones who already made grizzlies missions before the change.I don't even want to think how much time this next missions would take...
Harvest a male Grizzly Bear with a heart or lung shot using any Reverse Draw Crossbow./Harvest a Grizzly Bear with any Recurve Bow at 100% Harvest Value. Most probably I will rage quit doing this missions...

Also thanks HooCairs for the latest video where we can see better the experience hunting grizzlies and polar bears.
Morgezuma

Post by Morgezuma »

Thank you for explaining the bear changes. In all the years I have been playing and enjoying this game I almost never felt the need to speak up in the forums, although I enjoy reading them daily. I like hunting not typing... ;)

Sadly I feel like one of the people that gets "the rug pulled out from under them", as mentioned in a previous post. The Grizzly and Polar bear are in this game for far too long for such a drastic change in hunting experience. I know they were completely broken after a previous patch so intervention was needed. But the way I see it now is that all the bears in the game have to be hunted the same by spotting and stalking (baiting aside). With the only difference for Grizzly and Polar that should you accidently sneak close, the chance of getting charged is higher.

I simply cannot understand that 2 species are added to the game, without a developer running at them ones and not noticing the bears prefer charging the hunter over fleeing. Too bad this nice feature turns out to be an oversight. I can only hope that the Buffalo and the Bison are not on the list for a behaviour change, because the player can also run at those until they charge.

I understand that we will just have to deal with the changes that are made. But for me personally the Grizzly and the Polar bear are moved to the very bottom of my active hunting list. Which is unfortunate because certainly the Grizzly is very well designed.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hello all!

So as some of you will have seen, we announced a winner for the Feral Goat competitions yesterday, who was not originally announced as a winner.

We have to put our hand up here and say sorry, a mistake on our end. Basically Treedweller had the most complete, well-rounded set of challenges as a standalone entry, but the other winners had some of the most interesting individual challenges. The decision was taken to incorporate more people from the community and split it amongst multiple people rather than award a prize to a single person - but we were really impressed with all six entries. Then when it came to preparing the competitions for players, due to a miscommunication, Treedweller’s complete competition set was created. But we have actually come up with a solution that will see everyone with a big grin on their faces, including the wider community.

We are going to include the other 5 winners competitions as well, yes that’s right! This means that there will now be a total of 12 unique competitions. This means more chance for you guys to get some of those sweet em$ and string some interesting Goat hunts together!

Patrick is hard at work now getting the other entries implemented and after we have tested them, they will be added into rotation as well.

Get lemons -> Make lemonade.

TK
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

TreeKiwi wrote:Hello all!

So as some of you will have seen, we announced a winner for the Feral Goat competitions yesterday, who was not originally announced as a winner.

We have to put our hand up here and say sorry, a mistake on our end. Basically Treedweller had the most complete, well-rounded set of challenges as a standalone entry, but the other winners had some of the most interesting individual challenges. The decision was taken to incorporate more people from the community and split it amongst multiple people rather than award a prize to a single person - but we were really impressed with all six entries. Then when it came to preparing the competitions for players, due to a miscommunication, Treedweller’s complete competition set was created. But we have actually come up with a solution that will see everyone with a big grin on their faces, including the wider community.

We are going to include the other 5 winners competitions as well, yes that’s right! This means that there will now be a total of 12 unique competitions. This means more chance for you guys to get some of those sweet em$ and string some interesting Goat hunts together!

Patrick is hard at work now getting the other entries implemented and after we have tested them, they will be added into rotation as well.

TK
That's a good compromise. Thank you. I just hope that we must not wait another 1/2 year for a release.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

TreeKiwi wrote:Hello all!

TK
Thanks for the openness, mistakes happen. A really cool solution indeed for everyone,

Now go and knit another few dev jackets. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

What everyone is forgetting is that the grizzlies and polar bears first acted one way before the "change" this past fall, and then suddenly started acting another way at some point in the fall. So, what was this change? It was either was either a bug that was somehow introduced in those bears at some point in time, or it was a planned move by EW. If it was an existing bug ever since the grizzlies were released in late 2016 AND the polar bears were released in early 2016, then why did their behavior suddenly change to something else? Wouldn't the bug have existed ever since they were released and wouldn't the bears have been super skittish all this time ever since the polar bear was released? And if it was a planned change by EW in the fall of 2017, then why the secrecy, why didn't they just announce the change? Did they think it could be slipped by without players noticing? No, of course not.

What I think is that this is the second time the rug was pulled out from under us due to a bug concerning bears(recall the bear baiting fiasco in which they said again, "oh, sorry, NOW the bears are acting as they should have been all along"), and that EW simply doesn't know how to fix it and has thus come up with this "explanation" of their behavior. Seeing as how people are now testing them and getting the same skittish bear behavior that we originally discovered in the fall of 2017, and that arguably the most knowledgeable player in the game is still attesting to how broken they still are even after the latest "fix" yesterday.. I say scrap the grizzlies and polar bears, toss them both into the bin, because they're now nothing more than Bigfoot. If you think you can stalk hunt and get within proper bow distance of animal that a) has super keen senses, b) roams faster than you can crouch-walk, c) doesn't ever stop moving, my hat is off to you, show me.

For all of these reasons, I'm gonna stick to my theory that this is just another bug that EW can't solve and has thus created this tale for us all. Have a great weekend! :D
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

J_Birdman wrote:What everyone is forgetting is that the grizzlies and polar bears first acted one way before the "change" this past fall, and then suddenly started acting another way at some point in the fall. So, what was this change? It was either was either a bug that was somehow introduced in those bears at some point in time, or it was a planned move by EW. If it was an existing bug ever since the grizzlies were released in late 2016 AND the polar bears were released in early 2016, then why did their behavior suddenly change to something else? Wouldn't the bug have existed ever since they were released and wouldn't the bears have been super skittish all this time ever since the polar bear was released? And if it was a planned change by EW in the fall of 2017, then why the secrecy, why didn't they just announce the change? Did they think it could be slipped by without players noticing? No, of course not.

What I think is that this is the second time the rug was pulled out from under us due to a bug concerning bears(recall the bear baiting fiasco in which they said again, "oh, sorry, NOW the bears are acting as they should have been all along"), and that EW simply doesn't know how to fix it and has thus come up with this "explanation" of their behavior. Seeing as how people are now testing them and getting the same skittish bear behavior that we originally discovered in the fall of 2017, and that arguably the most knowledgeable player in the game is still attesting to how broken they still are even after the latest "fix" yesterday.. I say scrap the grizzlies and polar bears, toss them both into the bin, because they're now nothing more than Bigfoot. If you think you can stalk hunt and get within proper bow distance of animal that a) has super keen senses, b) roams faster than you can crouch-walk, c) doesn't ever stop moving, my hat is off to you, show me.

For all of these reasons, I'm gonna stick to my theory that this is just another bug that EW can't solve and has thus created this tale for us all. Have a great weekend! :D
We'll see to the next update, but I'm afraid you might be right.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”