Game Update - 31st January 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
User avatar
stancomputerhunter
Outfitter
Posts: 4381
Joined: December 25th, 2013, 11:07 am
Location: 1 mile South of the Cheddar Curtain

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby stancomputerhunter » January 31st, 2018, 5:19 pm

HooCairs wrote:


Hoo, what do you expect if you are constantly running? If you find a roaming bear, you can catch up to it by following its tracks, especially Polar Bears. They will spook from 80 meters if you are running, and will continue to do so, as long as you keep on running. The old reaction of Grizzlies was to stand their ground only if you ran to them as soon as you got a call. Once they spook, you would never see them again by running at them.

My observations only...your mileage may be different.

Image

Rares: 73 NTs: 20
User avatar
1Al
Tracker
Posts: 237
Joined: February 19th, 2017, 8:18 am
Location: Italy

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby 1Al » January 31st, 2018, 5:48 pm

stancomputerhunter wrote:
HooCairs wrote:


Hoo, what do you expect if you are constantly running? If you find a roaming bear, you can catch up to it by following its tracks, especially Polar Bears. They will spook from 80 meters if you are running, and will continue to do so, as long as you keep on running. The old reaction of Grizzlies was to stand their ground only if you ran to them as soon as you got a call. Once they spook, you would never see them again by running at them.

My observations only...your mileage may be different.

It's not that. I tried in three way, running as previously I always did, walking and crouching, there are always fleeing bears, when in the same way and closer, other animals like Rocky Mountain Elk not fleeing. So there something went wrong in the AI of Grizzly and Polar Bears. You can walk crouched too, at about 130/140 yards they fleeing away crazed.
Last edited by 1Al on January 31st, 2018, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
User avatar
TrueshotM
Tracker
Posts: 145
Joined: August 2nd, 2016, 2:29 pm
Location: Dallas Texas

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby TrueshotM » January 31st, 2018, 5:55 pm

TreeKiwi wrote:Your comments to the game update from the 31st January 2018

TK

Sounds good! Thanks ya'll
User avatar
Tanngnjostr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7528
Joined: July 14th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Location: Moguntia

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby Tanngnjostr » January 31st, 2018, 6:15 pm

I don't think it would be a good idea if you could outrun grizzly bears - and probably not realistic either. I just think they should be more aggressive once you manage to sneak close enough (like within 40-50 meters or so). So while grizzly bears were too skittish after the Halloween update, they also shouldn't be like they were before. Where's the challenge in finding a track and then just running along it until you find the bear on its legs?

If they just made them a bit less skittish compared to black and brown bears and more prone to attack you, but you still had to sneak up to them, I would think it's fine.
Image
User avatar
1Al
Tracker
Posts: 237
Joined: February 19th, 2017, 8:18 am
Location: Italy

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby 1Al » January 31st, 2018, 6:25 pm

Tanngnjostr wrote:I don't think it would be a good idea if you could outrun grizzly bears - and probably not realistic either. I just think they should be more aggressive once you manage to sneak close enough (like within 40-50 meters or so). So while grizzly bears were too skittish after the Halloween update, they also shouldn't be like they were before. Where's the challenge in finding a track and then just running along it until you find the bear on its legs?

If they just made them a bit less skittish compared to black and brown bears and more prone to attack you, but you still had to sneak up to them, I would think it's fine.

What I saw is that, right now brown and black bears are much less scared than Grizzly bears.
Spoiler:
User avatar
JamboWhoDat
Hunter
Posts: 798
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 3:05 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby JamboWhoDat » January 31st, 2018, 6:28 pm

A grizzly will attack if it feels threatened or protecting cubs. When hiking it is recommended to make noise so a bear will hear you at distance and flee instead of being startled. In the game a grizzly should flee if you're doing all that running, and should attack if you come upon it in close range from crouch walking.
User avatar
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter
Posts: 8379
Joined: December 3rd, 2008, 3:48 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby BucksNBuffalo » January 31st, 2018, 6:39 pm

Yeah, I don’t think straight up running at them is a good indication of whether they were fixed or not. All the animals in the game flee when you run, and bears are no different. Been like that since the beginning. You shouldn’t have expected things to go back to the way they were as it is, as (in the case of the Grizzlies), they were overly aggressive as it was, when even on release it was stated that some bears would stand their ground and others would flee, size would help determine. Was not the case tho, as virtually every Grizzly, large or small, would attack. I’ll try a normal hunt later on now that the TGT sounds are also fixed, and will let you know.
However, I will say that if the Polar Bears are acting the same, it is VERY disappointing, not to mention wrong. It’s been stated by myself and others many times that Polar Bears should be extremely aggressive, as they have no fear of humans since they view us as prey. The stalking mechanic has been broken for quite a while now, and it needs to be brought back and the PB aggression levels brought up.
User avatar
1Al
Tracker
Posts: 237
Joined: February 19th, 2017, 8:18 am
Location: Italy

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby 1Al » January 31st, 2018, 6:42 pm

JamboWhoDat wrote:A grizzly will attack if it feels threatened or protecting cubs. When hiking it is recommended to make noise so a bear will hear you at distance and flee instead of being startled. In the game a grizzly should flee if you're doing all that running, and should attack if you come upon it in close range from crouch walking.

Excuse me, but maybe you dont read what I wrote, also with crouch walking, they went crazy at about 130 yards, I saw this in game the other day, so, that remains is to crawl like a worm :mrgreen:
I dont like it, and in this way you'll never capture a sinlge Grizzly Bear on the ground, but just from towers.
Spoiler:
User avatar
JimboCrow
Outfitter
Posts: 1451
Joined: December 26th, 2011, 2:36 pm
Location: grandecache.ca

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby JimboCrow » January 31st, 2018, 6:48 pm

HooCairs wrote:video


Hi Hoo,

I distinctly recall a fairly recent comment from EW saying that the way the grizzlies were before the bug was NOT REALLY the intended mechanic. This new fix was going to correct that mistake by making them do what they were designed to, not return them to the 'run down and slaughter' mechanic. At least, that is how I understood it.

Perhaps a certain amount of stealth is now required to provoke a grizzly or polar bear into aggression, which I personally would welcome. By "more aggressive than brown and black bears" I think they meant 'more likely to turn and charge?' :? I do not think they were implying that browns or blacks were ever intended to be so. I really think that they were only acknowledging the severity of the bug, which made grizzlies and polar bears into fleeing vegetarians, just like deer! :lol:

I will search later when I get home for the EW comment I am referring to, and try a few hunts.

Jim
Last edited by JimboCrow on January 31st, 2018, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tanngnjostr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7528
Joined: July 14th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Location: Moguntia

Re: Game Update - 31st January 2018

Postby Tanngnjostr » January 31st, 2018, 6:49 pm

1Al wrote:Excuse me, but maybe you dont read what I wrote, also with crouch walking, they went crazy at about 130 yards, I saw this in game the other day, so, that remains is to crawl like a worm :mrgreen:

And this is what should have been fixed in my opinion - they shouldn't be super wary any more. Did you try it after today's update to see if this still the case?
Image

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest