Game Update - 17th January 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Game Update - 17th January 2018

Post by JimboCrow »

ronMctube wrote:there is a few other audio bugs already in this build so maybe its something thats not right or slipped by.its not a big deal. ;)
I was hunting on Piccabeen last night and right where the large flowing stream empties into the river, in the northwest-central portion of the map, I heard a clock ticking! Plain as day, just like in my trophy lodge! I will check if it's still there tonight.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

[quote="gas56"]At the graphical angles of each shot for the game animals the antlers look pretty damn close to real animals,...
although IRL both deer can be wide or narrow more at the top tines.
If you put them photos at the same head positions I think EW just about nailed them right on.
And on both species the top tines can branch out low or high on the main beams and wide and narrow at those spots on the antlers.
I would just like to see more slightly bigger ones in the game then just those dog awful so many small antlers.
Some of those tines wouldn't be even fully developed on the smaller bucks in the game, even though they are represented
with the brow tine and the front top and rear top tines.

NOTE. Not all the photos are Rusa Deer or Sambar Deer in these links, not everyone knows what kind of deer they are posting.
For the most part they are what they say they are.

Rusa Photos. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ru ... ORM=IQFRBA
Sambar Photos. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Sa ... ORM=RESTAB

Hey Garry.
The problem with the Rusa antlers is that they have tried to build them on a curved template. So from front on they end up looking like an Axis head.
If you look at the R.L. Rusa heads front on, you will see the antlers are built more on two straight lines, they are angled out of the head and offset at the second tine, continuing up almost vertically to the top.
They do not curve at the second tine or back into the centre at the tops., The tops do not come back in toward the centre at all . The whole curve thing is what makes them so wrong.

Go back and take another look and maybe you will get what im talking about. Then imagine how you would build a model of them, and see if we arent right.

Size wise the problem appears to be a scaling error between the antlers and the animal.
50 inches on the antlers score is not the same in relation to 50 inches on the animals body.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
Go back and take another look and maybe you will get what im talking about. Then imagine how you would build a model of them, and see if we arent right.

Size wise the problem appears to be a scaling error between the antlers and the animal.
50 inches on the antlers score is not the same in relation to 50 inches on the animals body.
I just don't see what you mean with that photo.
Where do you mean it's curved in at?

And I do agree about the antler size ratio to body size

Here's a few Rusa Antlers configuration chart
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

If you compare your chart with all the examples of in game heads you will see that the in game heads all curve back in the top tine towards the centre, whereas the antler pairs, left and right in your chart, are almost vertical and parallel above the 2nd tine. The tops do not curve back toward each other.
Your chart proves my point.
That is how they should look.
Number 3 is a classic Rusa head.

Edit
The other thing that is wrong is that the top section above the second tine should usualy be as long or longer than the bottom part of the main beam ( the section from the crown to the second tine).
As well as being longer they should taper evenly, from the second tine up, to wickedly sharp points at the tips.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:If you compare your chart with all the examples of in game heads you will see that the in game heads all curve back in the top tine towards the centre, whereas the antler pairs, left and right in your chart, are almost vertical and parallel above the 2nd tine. The tops do not curve back toward each other.
Your chart proves my point.
That is how they should look.
Number 3 is a classic Rusa head.

Edit
The other thing that is wrong is that the top section above the second tine should usualy be as long or longer than the bottom part of the main beam ( the section from the crown to the second tine).
As well as being longer they should taper evenly, from the second tine up, to wickedly sharp points at the tips.
I was checking the leader board trophy shots and I found a few that you can see the Rusa antlers from a couple of angles, and the front views you can see where the tines do not
go straight up but slightly to the center,.. this could be because of the actual small short racks on the deer in the game. But they could be brought out more vertical on the front view,
from the side view they look pretty good IMO.
But they are just really too small in size.
These Rusa are classic typical antlers and I put a small racked buck in also which looks about the size in the game.
Growth rate chart of typical Rusa deer antlers.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Hmmm... I wasn't looking on this as "scaling problem", but this seems to be the case to large extend indeed. Still, in-game, there is preety large percentage of stags with antlers tips curving inward (mainly among lower scoring) - and this feel somehow un-right to me, even if occasionaly such antlers can occur IRL too, they are not very "typical", I guess. I hope devs will at least "repair" the scaling problem. If this would be only about "beauty" of antlers, I would say that Rusa is more interesting than Sambar. ;) But with current models, with do not meet reality to much, this is not the case. :/

What also bothers me, but might be caused probably by engine's limitations, are first tines - even taking into account those scale problem, they seems to be always very small compared to rest of an antler (this goes to Sambar too). And IRL they have common "base" with main beams, and in-game they rather grow up from main beams. But as I wrote, this is probably engine limitations, so aside of relative size, I do not expect improovement here.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

here lies the problem
These heads are designed around a circle.
But rusa heads do not typically form in a circular configuration

https://imgur.com/5FNg27F

As seen in the following pics the section above the second tines should be vertical ( or nearly so ) and the length of the top section to the tips should be as long or longer than the section below the second tines.

https://imgur.com/a/c3Qm9

The heads we see in game are nothing like a Rusa head. Its like comparing a Dwarf to an NBA player.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:here lies the problem
These heads are designed around a circle.
But rusa heads do not typically form in a circular configuration

https://imgur.com/5FNg27F

As seen in the following pics the section above the second tines should be vertical ( or nearly so ) and the length of the top section to the tips should be as long or longer than the section below the second tines.

https://imgur.com/a/c3Qm9

The heads we see in game are nothing like a Rusa head. Its like comparing a Dwarf to an NBA player.
Those Rusa photos on that link are of some really nice bucks......... ;)
I agree with you that the front view is too round with all the beams as they do shoot straight up along some point in the tine.
The side view is ok. And on the front view if they used a slight outward taper of just 2 degree trapezoid at the start of the upward points it would adjust correctly for whatever the length of the tine is,..and hopefully make them a lot longer than they now are.

Danthemanboone image
GAS
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

I agree that the antlers of both deer are a bit off
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The racks on the bigger Sambar bucks aren't really that bad,..
they just need to be straightened a little toward the top on the main beams looking at a front view.
And I think this is what's coming into play with the Rusa's rack also,
but it is not working as it should with making bigger racks, so the main beams look more compressed and circular from a front view.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”