Status Update - 12th January 2018

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
1Al
Hunter

Re: Status Update - 12th January 2018

Post by 1Al »

kevin2106 wrote:
1Al wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:I don't know. I don't see anything wrong with Grizzlies spooking easily. Sure they've got a reputation with most people as being extremely aggressive, but they also have a reputation with hunters as being extremely wary, smart animals. As soon as they know there is a human nearby, they are generally out of there as fast as they can go.
If you'll excuse me, I've got a little experience with grizzly bears in this game. In a month at least, their behaviour is greatly changed.
He never said they didn't change? He dropped his opinion that he would like them to be more skittish than they were
You said this: " I don't see anything wrong with Grizzlies spooking easily." this behaviour for all the grizzlies is wrong, totally wrong. Before, just some grizzlies had that behavior, in natural way, right now all of them are scared chickens. That is not natural.
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Still, he was talking about irl grizzly. You are right, but are speaking about changes ingame. His point is more like 'They are like this irl so I don't see why they shouldn't be like this ingame?', which is perfectly reasonable. My answer to this would be : 'Well, 'cause they are spooking everything in sight when they decide to go berserk for nothing, just 'cause they're in the mood.' But compared to rl reserves, their population seems pretty dense. Reduce this to rl relations, and it'll only have influence on grizzly hunting, making it as challenging as it apparently is in real life.

But I guess this won't be the goal, since many players enjoyed the constant menance of the grizzly. It's good to know they are on it now. I honestly was a bit annoyed because there's a thread here in the forums which has been there for almost two months now. People going on about broken bear behaviour but no official response. Just a single sentence statement by Alena that was quoted repeatedly. So I'm really glad that there's an official reaction to this now. Even if I don't totaly agree with this 'working as intended' thing, as I elaborated before.
μολών λαβέ
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

1Al wrote:Before, just some grizzlies had that behavior, in natural way, right now all of them are scared chickens. That is not natural.
Actually, grizzlies are extremely shy, just as InstinctiveArcher said. If they catch your scent, or hear you, or have even the slightest sense that humans are in the area, they're gone, unless they are extremely hungry, have cubs, or are protecting a kill. Their bad reputation comes from the fact that they don't see very well, so if they can't see or hear you and you happen to get too close by accident and startle them, they will SOMETIMES react extremely aggressively. RARELY will you ever see them or even know they were there. Generally you won't see them at all, because they smelled and/or heard you first and have disappeared like ninjas. Nevertheless, just like InstinctiveArcher has also said, then there is that one bear in twenty....

In the game, they could be a little less spooky, but not like they were before. That was just ridiculously unrealistic.
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

JimboCrow wrote:
1Al wrote:In the game, they could be a little less spooky, but not like they were before. That was just ridiculously unrealistic.
Right now they all are spooky as pansy black bears, maybe more. For me this is ridicolously unrealistic.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

1Al wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:
1Al wrote:In the game, they could be a little less spooky, but not like they were before. That was just ridiculously unrealistic.
Right now they all are spooky as pansy black bears, maybe more. For me this is ridicolously unrealistic.
They are too spooky now, just like I said, but the way they were before was far too approachable. They were like bison. Better somewhere in between. But some folks just prefer arcade games, and that's that on that.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Black bears are very spooky IRL. The way they are in the game now is actually more accurate than not, with some liberties taken for balance. I’ve been attacked by Black Bears numerous times in game by startling them (being too close to one or two on my way to my Bait Barrel). So where this “pansy black bear” talk comes from is beyond me. To me, the real pansy is the Brown Bear. The Brown Bears could do with a bit of tweaking for sure.
I can’t say much about Grizzlies other than the way they were before this little hiccup was good. Had a good mix of bears run from me and other stand their ground.
But the Polar Bear? It SHOULD be very aggressive. It SHOULD be stalking the player. Sure, not every single time, but the Polar Bear is an apex predator, the largest land based predator on Earth, and it views humans as prey. Walking around the areas where PB are found should not be a walk in the park. The player should be on alert, as it was when the PB was first released and the stalking mechanic worked. The Polar Bear needs to be a dangerous animal.
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

JimboCrow wrote:
1Al wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:
They are too spooky now, just like I said, but the way they were before was far too approachable. They were like bison. Better somewhere in between. But some folks just prefer arcade games, and that's that on that.
In my opinion this isn't about arcade, but about a little more adrenaline in this game. Bisons and especially Grizzlies can give you that. That's it. If we're not interested in that, ok let's keep it that way. But this isn't how I do fun anymore. Right now I'm thinking if it's worth a licence renewed.
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote: But the Polar Bear? It SHOULD be very aggressive. It SHOULD be stalking the player. Sure, not every single time, but the Polar Bear is an apex predator, the largest land based predator on Earth, and it views humans as prey. Walking around the areas where PB are found should not be a walk in the park. The player should be on alert, as it was when the PB was first released and the stalking mechanic worked. The Polar Bear needs to be a dangerous animal.
Could not agree more!

I really LOVED the chasing mechanic, i can't remember it being said by the devs it was a thing, but it felt like it and other people did too.

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

1Al wrote:In my opinion this isn't about arcade, but about a little more adrenaline in this game. Bisons and especially Grizzlies can give you that. That's it. If we're not interested in that, ok let's keep it that way. But this isn't how I do fun anymore. Right now I'm thinking if it's worth a licence renewed.
Well, they have already said they are looking into the problem, so let's wait and see what they come up with. As for not renewing your membership, have you tried hunting the water buffaloes on Piccabeen Bay? They are like the bison are, sort of like what the grizzlies were. You can hunt them in a very similar manner, and get run over for your trouble if you're too slow drawing your bow. :)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

kevin2106 wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote: But the Polar Bear? It SHOULD be very aggressive. It SHOULD be stalking the player. Sure, not every single time, but the Polar Bear is an apex predator, the largest land based predator on Earth, and it views humans as prey. Walking around the areas where PB are found should not be a walk in the park. The player should be on alert, as it was when the PB was first released and the stalking mechanic worked. The Polar Bear needs to be a dangerous animal.
Could not agree more!

I really LOVED the chasing mechanic, i can't remember it being said by the devs it was a thing, but it felt like it and other people did too.
Yes, being hunted was a good feature. They did put it in on purpose, they said so, but I think that it was overwritten when they made them permissible to hunt. Maybe they could add that feature back in somehow.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”