Status Update 14th December - Piccabeen Bay Release

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Eraser_SK
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 14th December - Piccabeen Bay Release

Post by Eraser_SK »

@fantamichele and in this location is invisible wall on the bridge! You cant pass from both side... i try it... you cant... ruined my dream about bridge over the river Kwai....
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

james990 wrote:Negative
- Rusa seem to be all individuals, they definitely travel in groups in real life.
I've definitely seen two groups of Rusa yesterday, each consisted of 5-6 females. So they are out there. Now what I still have to find is a male! :lol:
Image Image Image
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Beano8U wrote:I love the new reserve! It looks outstanding.
I did find something when hunting today though. An invisible object that I can't walk through.

At that exact location looking north east. Not sure if it something to do with the tree on the left or the fern on the right. But the object is right in front of me.

Asked the same question back on page 8.
RidgeBack69 wrote:I have a question.
Why is the small Railroad bridge in the north of the map not crossable?
Spoiler:
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
james990 wrote:Negative
- Rusa seem to be all individuals, they definitely travel in groups in real life.
I've definitely seen two groups of Rusa yesterday, each consisted of 5-6 females. So they are out there. Now what I still have to find is a male! :lol:
haha ill take your word for it but i've shot 26 of the buggers and not one group :lol:
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

One thing I think would benefit the reserve and the gameplay is making the water bottle refillable at lodges & tents.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
John_Cowboy

Post by John_Cowboy »

Eraser_SK wrote:@fantamichele and in this location is invisible wall on the bridge! You cant pass from both side... i try it... you cant... ruined my dream about bridge over the river Kwai....
I managed to cross the bridge. When I hit the invisible wall, I crouched beneath it. After a few feet, you can walk upright again.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I had my second run today. I sustain what I've posted earlier. I've shot Bantengs from about 100 meters, and they behave in similar way as large deers, like Elks or Moose perhaps. Maybe this was intended, but I think that even from double lung shot from a rifle chambered for 7 mm RM they should run at least a little bit before dropping down (those big deers too, btw. but that's different story). They simply don't feel like over 600 kg, big, thought bovines they are IRL.

I assume that the team is still working on the map post-release, and I hope that many things will be balanced better in near future. For now however, I feel a little bit lack of "balance". For example, when you starts on northern lodge, and go by the river bangs, this place is realy swarming with buffalos. They are everywhere. This is perhaps nice if you are after them, and this is probably right place to expect them. But they are realy everywhere. And if you are after anything else, they are realy annoying. They also seems to have problems with hitting the target when charging. Their charge is aslo quite short. I evaded seweral attacks from single female today. I was hoping that after one or two she will run, as with a moose, but she was stubborn. I've shot her in "selfdefence" finaly -then she run.

I have to admitt, that while I like new animals, some new AI features, and so on, I don't feel realy "catched" by the new map. I'll probably will hunt on it from time to time, but at least at the moment, I haven't felt in love.

I know this is probably not worth the effort from economic perspective, but it would be nice if you would port some new AI features to "older" animals, making them "up-to-date". ;)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

First hype is gone now for me with a bitter aftertaste. Havent hunted a lot on the new reserve but i already caught myself thinking i would rather hunt on another map then where i am now.
I like the ambient sounds and my first thunder from a storm nearly made me **** myself.
Terrain is a 50/50 some areas look awesome , some look boring and uninspired.
Edit: maybe i have to go a little more into detail. I always liked how this game even tho its engine is really old still managed to make nature feel natural in most reserves. It just felt really immersive and exciting to wander around. But a lot of areas in the new reserve just dont feel natural. Its hard to describe what i feel exactly in english ... it just doesnt feel homogeneously - maybe thats the right word.

I actually like water buffalo more then i initially thought. Banteng are cool too.
Havent seen a single Rusa buck so far only lots and lots and lots of female. Be it solo or in groups of up to 6. Found one Sambar Buck that was a pain to get , even to the point where i thought it was bugged and wanted to give up.

Overall i maybe need a lil more time on it but it just doesnt have the magic atm.
When i first entered the reserve i was really hyped and my first impression was awesome.
But it sadly went away really fast. Ill give it another try later maybe it gets better.
Djehmli
Tracker

Post by Djehmli »

A bit more feed back regarding graphics -
The palette being used for the green is flat, and in some circumstances unreal (there are neon green deciduous trees just outside the north lodge) I tried multiple graphic and shadow levels with very little difference other than undergrowth additions and sharpening. There is more detail in some of the bark textures than at the leaf level. Mainly shading and graduation missing. This isn't an engine limitation, as even WRR with all it's whites comes across with more depth.

Terrain creation - someone either felt rushed in the end or got lazy. The 'push and pull' where height levels of the terrain generation occurred are sloppy in many areas with very little smoothing or rounding to take the sharp points to a realistic level. Some of the 'paths' through the river to the other side make this obvious as instead of looking like a natural rise from a river bed, I can follow the brushstroke used to 'lift' the river bed, because there are definite drop points and drag areas where the brushstroke was 'dropped' VDB handled much more naturally.

Probably for me the most annoying feature, other than the very sloppy terrain generation versus other preexisting maps, is the wind effect on the small palmetto (big thick platter like foliage). The ferns blow in a wind properly, but these palmettos have a 'ripple blurring water like' effect applied to mimic wind force. With graphics on high where the very nice leaf detail is obvious, this 'water ripple distortion' used to mimic wind is eye jarring. I can almost physically see the water drop filter distortion bubble applied to these. If they were a water plant placed in the river their movement would make sense.

Critters - the water buffalo AI is too complacent. For a trial I shot at a pig that was standing right next to a WB and missed, the WB just stood there chewing cud while the pig ran off.

Sound and weather - excellent - water - excellent - ambience - excellent, most critter animations, very good.
TGT, WRR, WH and VDB will still remain my goto maps though.

(even with Whitehart being the first map, it feel more 'real' graphic wise than this new map, at least to me)
Spoiler:

neonpossum
Tracker

Post by neonpossum »

Tried to play this map before and my PC is way too slow for it, I'm disappointed. I have zero trouble with any of the other reserves besides TgT. I might try on my laptop though!

Also I hot a water buffalo with a .300 and got unpermitted hit :( Does anyone know permitted ammo for the various species?

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”