Eraser_SK
Outfitter

Re: Game Update 8th November 2017

Post by Eraser_SK »

Ingliš lengvič not avajlejbl :D
DenDSML

Post by DenDSML »

I did an uninstall and a reinstall via Steam and the backdoor.win32.bakkenc virus message continues to come up in my Zone Alarm Extreme anti-virus program. Zone Alarm treats the virus by deleting the launcher.exe file so I am unable to play the game. There must be something wrong with the update as this has never happened before on any updates or installs of this game. Does anyone have any idea what is happening or how to fix it?

Thank you
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

DenDSML wrote:I did an uninstall and a reinstall via Steam and the backdoor.win32.bakkenc virus message continues to come up in my Zone Alarm Extreme anti-virus program. Zone Alarm treats the virus by deleting the launcher.exe file so I am unable to play the game. There must be something wrong with the update as this has never happened before on any updates or installs of this game. Does anyone have any idea what is happening or how to fix it?
I've had this happen before a few times. The only thing that really helped for me was to delete the game files and do a complete reinstall while temporarily disabling my antivirus. Once the update/patch/reinstall is done, you can turn on the antivirus software again. But it's annyoing for sure!
Image Image Image
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

BCKidd wrote:Nice update- the new rifle looks awesome. I'm glad to know the flying bug has been crushed. Question tho' to anyone from EW- that has a hand on the repair to the launcher all those months ago. It worked like a charm for a few months, but lately it has gone off the deep-end again. For that last few game updates, I've had to use the "Steam" trick, 'cause the Launcher always fails- I get a text message that says somethin' along the lines of "Assertion Failed" or some other nonsense like that, and the launcher fails. Anyway, is this at all being looked at- for another fix? ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
Algrath wrote:What about a virus problem (HEUR: Backdoor.Win32.Blakken) when you download the latest update?
Uhh, I'd suggest that theHunter team double-check this. This is a, as far as I'm aware, trojan etc that targets -businesses- and after breaking through their security systems, does full data wipes etc. Has the password-theft issue been solved? Could it be related? It's worrying to me, not to like, cause a melodramatic panic or anything. But I'd be a little more concerned than assuming false positive, especially since more than one person has it showing. If it's already been looked at, ofc disregard.

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-cent ... lackenergy
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

I had trouble with Bitdefender 2018 some months ago after Antivirus Update and Game Update, I suppose you have Kasperky Internet Security so go to the Firewall configuration and there ADD both thehunter exe and the launcher to WHITE LIST maybe this could help you.

AHH by the way also add steam
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

"panther" is foreshadowing something.... :?:

spolier alert: we are getting Mountain Lions! :o :o :mrgreen:
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Prinz1989 wrote:As Tanngnjostr and mapache01 already wrote I believe the list of ethical animals makes this weapons somewhat unpractical
I suggest making it ethical for foxes and bobcats and here is why:

1. It's a rifle for medium game and the really small game in the hunter are birds and rabbits therefore I consider foxes and bobcats to be medium.
2. Foxes and Bobcats have already one of the shortest lists of ethical weapons.
3. With the release of Ptarmigans and Bobcats there are now almost no reserves that have no small game (Birds and rabbits) or foxes or bobcats or big game (Elk, Moose, Bear).
This leaves this weapon in an awkward position. You will usually have to equip one small game weapon, one big game weapon, the 6.5×55 and a weapon for foxes/bobcats. But 4 weapons will barely fit your inventory.
The 6.5×55 is the easiest to sort out since you can use a weapon like the .300 or 7mm for big and medium game (like whitetails, roe deer...).

Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts, the weapon looks nice and thanks for the update.
Also I hoped it would be loadout saves. ;)
After about 25 harvests I'm not all mushy about the new rifle like I thought I was going to be. It doesn't seem to be suited for even Dall's Sheep. :( (I just can't wait to try it out on a 200kg Hog! I don't recall the Blaser being quite so unimpressive.... :? No wonder it sounds like a pea-shooter.)

I certainly don't expect every animal to drop dead in it's tracks, but I don't expect to have to follow up every shot either, even at short and medium ranges. Something's out of whack here, honestly. I agree with Prinz1989 et al., it would be far more reasonable for larger small game species (at the very least the Bobcat, compare the Roe Deer!) to be included on the 6.5x55 permitted list than not.

Please EW, it's time to take another look at this ammunition, as the others have already made abundantly clear. Either that or buff it, so that it's a better and more ethical fit to it's meagre prey list.
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

BCKidd wrote:.... Question tho' to anyone from EW- that has a hand on the repair to the launcher all those months ago. It worked like a charm for a few months, but lately it has gone off the deep-end again. For that last few game updates, I've had to use the "Steam" trick, 'cause the Launcher always fails- I get a text message that says somethin' along the lines of "Assertion Failed" or some other nonsense like that, and the launcher fails. ...
BCKidd.
Unfortunately, I must confirm this issue, I am having exactly the same problem. I am aware that there is a "Steam trick" for circumventing, but I wasn't able to run it in the German Steam environment so far - so I am currently pushed back to "Steam only", if I want to play thC.

If EW runs into this same problem every other time again with a web update or patch, it might perhaps be time to scratch the web version totally? As much as I personally would hate it on the one had -- on the other, those of us who prefer to play tHC via web lose incredibly much time in our recurring futile attempts to get a functional game. :x
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

TheSheWolf wrote:
BCKidd wrote:Nice update- the new rifle looks awesome. I'm glad to know the flying bug has been crushed. Question tho' to anyone from EW- that has a hand on the repair to the launcher all those months ago. It worked like a charm for a few months, but lately it has gone off the deep-end again. For that last few game updates, I've had to use the "Steam" trick, 'cause the Launcher always fails- I get a text message that says somethin' along the lines of "Assertion Failed" or some other nonsense like that, and the launcher fails. Anyway, is this at all being looked at- for another fix? ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
Algrath wrote:What about a virus problem (HEUR: Backdoor.Win32.Blakken) when you download the latest update?
Uhh, I'd suggest that theHunter team double-check this. This is a, as far as I'm aware, trojan etc that targets -businesses- and after breaking through their security systems, does full data wipes etc. Has the password-theft issue been solved? Could it be related? It's worrying to me, not to like, cause a melodramatic panic or anything. But I'd be a little more concerned than assuming false positive, especially since more than one person has it showing. If it's already been looked at, ofc disregard.

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-cent ... lackenergy
No, this is not a trojan, we have an established process checking our launcher and patches with Kaspersky and other major antivirus providers and our software always comes back 100% clean. We don't know right now what is triggering that particular alert for some people after the recent patch, as antiviruses have different triggers and algorithms, but we continue looking into it, together with antivirus companies and our IT department.

As for the password-theft issue, it is completely unrelated. Finding leaked people's logins on shady sites is very different from injecting highly secure software, like theHunter launcher, with viruses. We found the culprit who has been getting into people's accounts and are investigating filing legal actions against that person.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

MonacoSteve wrote:
BCKidd wrote:.... Question tho' to anyone from EW- that has a hand on the repair to the launcher all those months ago. It worked like a charm for a few months, but lately it has gone off the deep-end again. For that last few game updates, I've had to use the "Steam" trick, 'cause the Launcher always fails- I get a text message that says somethin' along the lines of "Assertion Failed" or some other nonsense like that, and the launcher fails. ...
BCKidd.
Unfortunately, I must confirm this issue, I am having exactly the same problem. I am aware that there is a "Steam trick" for circumventing, but I wasn't able to run it in the German Steam environment so far - so I am currently pushed back to "Steam only", if I want to play thC.

If EW runs into this same problem every other time again with a web update or patch, it might perhaps be time to scratch the web version totally? As much as I personally would hate it on the one had -- on the other, those of us who prefer to play tHC via web lose incredibly much time in our recurring futile attempts to get a functional game. :x
We are aware of this issue and we will update the launcher with the fix.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”