Important Security Reminder

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
User avatar
stancomputerhunter
Outfitter
Posts: 4063
Joined: December 25th, 2013, 11:07 am
Location: 1 mile South of the Cheddar Curtain

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby stancomputerhunter » November 3rd, 2017, 11:10 pm

Mills wrote:Image


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps a bowl of cookies? :P

Image
Rares: 71 NTs: 20
My YouTube
User avatar
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter
Posts: 3054
Joined: October 30th, 2009, 5:32 pm
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby DanthemanBoone » November 4th, 2017, 1:36 am

Mills wrote:Image


Now that qualifies as a corny joke.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
User avatar
Levado
Tracker
Posts: 200
Joined: October 13th, 2017, 12:21 am

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Levado » November 5th, 2017, 2:12 am

Alena Rybik wrote:We've just detected a range of unauthorized log in attempts to a number of players' accounts. (This usually happens when some site's database gets hacked / leaked and usernames and passwords become available to culprits who then try to log in to other sites using the acquired login details.
Why are you 100% sure that it wasn't EW's database that was compromised?
Hunter Score 65k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: All Deer
User avatar
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter
Posts: 6658
Joined: September 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Fletchette » November 5th, 2017, 4:39 am

Levado wrote:
Alena Rybik wrote:We've just detected a range of unauthorized log in attempts to a number of players' accounts. (This usually happens when some site's database gets hacked / leaked and usernames and passwords become available to culprits who then try to log in to other sites using the acquired login details.
Why are you 100% sure that it wasn't EW's database that was compromised?

She didn't say she was 100% sure of anything...It sounds like they are seeing a large number of failed login attempts with incorrect passwords, meaning the "hackers" are trying passwords associated with email addresses that they got from some other database hoping the people were using the same passwords on both accounts. If EW's database had been compromised then the "hackers" would have the correct password every time, and wouldn't be triggering "unauthorized" login attempts.
Personal Bests...
Image
Image
User avatar
Levado
Tracker
Posts: 200
Joined: October 13th, 2017, 12:21 am

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Levado » November 5th, 2017, 5:41 am

Fletchette wrote:She didn't say she was 100% sure of anything
She gave me the impression.

Fletchette wrote:If EW's database had been compromised then the "hackers" would have the correct password every time, and wouldn't be triggering "unauthorized" login attempts.
Those triggered "unauthorized" login attempts could be coming from logged out members who on return triggered "unauthorized" login attempts after the hacker changed their password (which doesn't require E-mail confirmation).
Hunter Score 65k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: All Deer
User avatar
Tanngnjostr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6999
Joined: July 14th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Location: Moguntia

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Tanngnjostr » November 5th, 2017, 6:04 am

Fletchette wrote:She didn't say she was 100% sure of anything...It sounds like they are seeing a large number of failed login attempts with incorrect passwords, meaning the "hackers" are trying passwords associated with email addresses that they got from some other database hoping the people were using the same passwords on both accounts. If EW's database had been compromised then the "hackers" would have the correct password every time, and wouldn't be triggering "unauthorized" login attempts.

Unfortunately after I changed my password to one I've never used before (not in the game, not on another site), the hackers were still able to access my account until I asked for it to be temporarily locked. How could this have happened if they were using login data they got from another database?

Anyway, we'll have to wait until next week and I hope that EW are able to find out what happened and how we/they can prevent it from happening again!
User avatar
Levado
Tracker
Posts: 200
Joined: October 13th, 2017, 12:21 am

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Levado » November 5th, 2017, 6:22 am

Tanngnjostr wrote:Unfortunately after I changed my password to one I've never used before (not in the game, not on another site), the hackers were still able to access my account until I asked for it to be temporarily locked. How could this have happened if they were using login data they got from another database?
If they don't log out, they'll continue to have access, regardless your password. ;)
Hunter Score 65k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: All Deer
User avatar
Tanngnjostr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6999
Joined: July 14th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Location: Moguntia

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Tanngnjostr » November 5th, 2017, 6:25 am

Levado wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:Unfortunately after I changed my password to one I've never used before (not in the game, not on another site), the hackers were still able to access my account until I asked for it to be temporarily locked. How could this have happened if they were using login data they got from another database?
If they don't log out, they'll continue to have access, regardless your password. ;)

This might be the case, but be aware that the time between me changing the password and the hacker starting the last game was around 12 hours. Maybe they just let the launcher run all this time, but even in this case I would expect some security measure to take effect!

EDIT: I don't want to spread panic here and I know that EW will do anything to get to the bottom of this - I just want to tell other hunters to watch their accounts closely these days. I'm not sure if changing your passwords is enough to feel 100% safe. Anyway, it looks like only a minority of players has been affected and that's a good thing!
User avatar
fastd
Spotter
Posts: 86
Joined: February 13th, 2015, 3:21 am

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby fastd » November 5th, 2017, 10:41 am

Tanngnjostr... Did you send me a friends request in the last 48 hours. It seems odd after all this time.
User avatar
Tanngnjostr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6999
Joined: July 14th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Location: Moguntia

Re: Important Security Reminder

Postby Tanngnjostr » November 5th, 2017, 11:05 am

fastd wrote:Tanngnjostr... Did you send me a friends request in the last 48 hours. It seems odd after all this time.

I did definitely not send any friend requests in a while. Though I thought we already were on each other's friends lists to be honest.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nomad, TheSpecter, Trackingmaster and 1 guest