Status Update 16th June 2017

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 16th June 2017

Post by Hawkeye »

Good update. I'm loving the new sunglasses effect, and can't wait to try my hand at some RM elk competitions. Looking forward to seeing the Rustic lodge, and visiting lodges in SP mode. Exciting stuff!

In the meantime, we would like to ask you whether you participate in our regular competitions. If yes, what are you favourite ones?

I do participate as often as I can. My favorite competitions are just the simple highest score comps with no restricting rules. The average of 3's are okay too, but require a bit more time investment. I never participate in long range competitions or "kill the most" competitions.
waiora wrote: MAKE ALL TROPHY COMPETITIONS MULTIPLAYER. There is no advantage for playing MP. So many people cry about MP comps, and how it benefits those who play as a team... ALL events comps are MP in the last year, and the same few people are always in the top 10. only 1 person can shoot any give animal. You only compete vs 1 player on a leader board. MP would even be a disadvantage for competitions that require multiple animals, because of attempts vs good spans ratio.
Sorry, but there are numerous ways you can exploit the competition system in MP. I won't state them here because it's against CoC to discuss specific exploits. It shouldn't take much thought to come up with a few though.

Looking at the numbers, nearly half of the player-base (43%) plays ONLY in SP. I don't think it would be wise to alienate those players by changing those competitions to MP. It's also a bit surprising that only 19% play primarily for competitions. That's a lower number than I would have thought. So that begs the question, does it make good business sense to pour resources into the competition system at this point?
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Huge welcome to Kat! It is always wonderful news when staff is added to an already underrated group that build and maintain our part time fantasy world!
Best of luck!
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
eliandrotc

Post by eliandrotc »

Alena Rybik wrote:Your comments to the status update from the 16th of June
server OFF???
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

I do participate in comps, infact its the only reason i play this game :P my Fav are the ones that are about the animal trophy score that has no special requirement attached to it "simple and fun", Then comes comps that have special weapons assigned to it with no other requirements, then comps that are about avg weight of top 3 or top 5 with.

The comps that i DONT like are the ones about distance shooting and the ones that have special more complex requirements.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Regarding comp opinions that could make for an interesting discussion because I think everyone has their favs and on down and some changes would be a healthy thing I think but for every one that I don't care for someone out there loves it so that's a sensitive thing.
1 aspect of certain comps that I absolutely love are the tiered comps based on animals harvested. I find this much more fair to everyone. As for the tonnage comps, never will be a fan of them because it all comes down to who can play for 2 days straight grinding away- I echo quite a bit of what MrMr expressed with the "special" comps - mainly the long distance ones. I wouldn't mind if they were less frequent, but I wouldn't want to eliminate them either. It's also nice when several comps line up with all the animals, or a couple more within a reserve so you could be working for several opportunities in a single hunt. One place I differ with MrMr would be the "average of 3 or 5" type comps because this kind of knocks out the whole blind squirrel and a nut kind of thing.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

First welcome to Kat. :)
Second about the survey price you choose ,randomly you said and I believe that, 2 non existent players and one guest. I would like to know what survey a guest can complete :?: and how an non existent player can complete the survey :?: :roll:
In the survey I think you ask for the player's name.
Cutch
Master Competitor

Post by Cutch »

Welcome, Kat.
Nice update, I like the new glasses. ;)
My favorite comp is the "highest score" ones.
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's:
She changes it more often.
Longmann
Scout

Post by Longmann »

Thanks for the update.
I rarely take part in competitions since they are mainly for single player and very often some connection problems or some bug end all the fun of potential win (like using a .308 handgun for the new rm elk competiton which didn't count).

You could improve them with:
- more mp competitions
- removing longest shot or all those grind competitions which are pointless comparing to real life (which you seem to follow as much as possible)
- take more care to avoid the superficiality like wrong competition descriptions or some basic flaws
Good luck!
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

I have an idea Devs...
Please make duplicate comps like how it was last week but instead of having both single player make the other duplicate comp Multiplayer.
That way there's a single player version of the comp and a Multiplayer version.
Similar to Member and Guest comps.
For those that say hunting as a team in MP doesn't bring you an advantage it does in a huge way considering most people in MP games do drive hunts and don't even hunt properly to stalk animals.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Jinglepants

Post by Jinglepants »

I have been playing this game for a number of years now and have always tried to make every shot a competition shot if I can, even if the competition prizes are practically worthless. It started off as a bit of a status thing between myself and a friend and I have kept it going. Some incentive I have made for myself is shooting personal bests in a particular competition even if it is not getting me to the top of the leader board. The game does not support this, so I have developed my own application to record my competition shots, which I have to do manually - though that it not a hassle to alt-tab to my app enter the scoring value and the app takes care of the rest. It would be awesome if the game did this and may pull more interested in competitions. A PB is pretty satisfying either for a species or for a competition.

When my friend and I started out we were constantly being thwarted in the eleventh hour by spawn mashers, but we prided ourselves on playing within the spirit of the game and refused to stoop to their level. The 10 attempt limit has mitigated this to some extent, but 5 attempts would probably do.

I tend to avoid ranged competition because, as someone else has posted, there are people prepared to go to ridiculous length to get a range shot. My accuracy stat means too much to me and I'm not going to chuck it away for a comp.

Enough people have also commented on total weight comps. For those who have the time they're great, for everyone else they are pointless.

A good hunt for me is one where I can be in as many comps as possible for that reserve, but with a feasible load out. I don't mind if it is with or without a blind or a scope, or from less than 33 metres. That actually makes you plan and hunt differently and is a challenge to manage how you are going to go about maximising your impact on the competitions. It may mean taking your .243 to hit across more species rather than you favourite 7mm. That is great. I know the reserves well enough that I can do a partial reserve hunt and just target the species that have good comps and avoid those that don't.

However, the community designed comps have brought an unnecessary level of complexity, or simplicity to the comps. An example of over simplistic is Choose Wisely. The only species up there with comps is Alpine Ibex, you tool up, head out, take one shot and you're done. The only way to get a competitive score in that comp is to get lucky or to spend hours spotting Ibex in the hope you will find one that might turn out to be higher that the players in the top 3 spots on the leader board. Come on.

The best comps are still the originals Top..., Biggest..., Something with a handgun, Something with a shotgun, Something with a bow. I understand that specifying a particular weapon is to try to get players into the store.

I have always suggested in surveys that competition can be either multiplayer or single-player. The distinction is pointless in most competitions as the player with the kill shot is the one credited with the competition entry.

As a trivial footnote, my favourite species to hunt is Coyote. This is in no small part due to the competitions it has.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”