Status Update 5th May 2017

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
User avatar
Granti
Tracker
Posts: 221
Joined: October 7th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby Granti » May 10th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Violator31 wrote:
Granti wrote:
one thing is hunting for meat or to keep the fauna controlled. another thing is to hunt an animal just for sport and the trophy. that is meant by most people with unethical.

But the part that goes "misunderstood" & unreported is the fact that there are many factors that go into determining tag limits. It's quite possible that in that area the Giraffe is damaging crops or being pushed into towns/villages, "Nuisance animals" is how they are labeled. The tag fees go into paying the game wardens that are stopping poachers for dropping other animals that are close to extinction. Maybe these animals are overpopulated & causing problems on the roadways - none of these fact will be disclosed by mainstream media because it doesn't fuel the fire. It's the common sense route & they ignore it. Urbanization is taking away land from wildlife by hundreds of acres a day (MORE) the only way to reverse that is to spay & neuter PEOPLE, and we all know that isn't going to happen. Animals instinctively reproduce. Left in their natural state they will, along with the natural predators, maintain healthy numbers. Then, along comes man, developing their natural habitat & pushing them out. Next thing thier available food source has been thinned down to next to nothing. So, do we want all of them to suffer from malnutrition or starvation, or do we thin the herd so that the food source is more evenly spread out? Once again, man steps in. They do population studies, food source studies, then they use these numbers to determine what a "healthy herd" number should be. With that number in mind they sell hunting permits. The fees from these hunting permits pay the game wardens salary so he can catch poachers and continue the monitoring of the herd.
I'm not in any way pointing the finger at you Granti. I have read a lot on how to handle & explain this procedure to people that condemn hunters for their actions. Some of them walk away with a better understanding & some of them mutter "whatever" * sulk off. Most of the time, as long as we do this calmly, they don't know how to respond after a couple of heated accusations. They want a heated conversation because with that heat comes knee-jerk responses that can sometimes be inaccurate or twisted to help their side of the conversation.


i completly understand your point and im for sure no expert in this kind of subject. im aware that media is not always objectiv and that mankind destroys for the "sake of mankind" the space for animals. also the problem with giraffes might exist (though giraffes mostly eat leaves from a certain tree). but having a reservat dedicated to endangered species, that you would hunt in real life just for the trophy, would mean- for me - to support this kind of hunt. and i think thats one or two levels above hunting deer.
User avatar
Granti
Tracker
Posts: 221
Joined: October 7th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby Granti » May 10th, 2017, 2:16 pm

L3M182 wrote:
is it though? its something like $50,000 all in for a tag for an African lion which a huge chunk goes towards conservation. kill for meat you didnt waste an 1 animal . trophy hunt in Africa and you help to prevent whole species going to waste. it pays the wages of the locals to be national guard to counter poaching instead of doing it for money from the black market ivory and traditional medicine industry. it also fuels the tourism economy to an extent as you dont go to Africa hunt 1 day and come home that evening. animal management is tight in Africa so if animal need culling might aswell let the guy willing to pay top dollar shoot it.

that Cecil the lion bull last year was only out of hand because a few celebs jumped on it and so the rest of the world did. That guy did nothing wrong and the lies that followed that it was poached or lured out of conservation sight were stupid, that poor guy suffered from death threats and his business crashed all because he legally payed for the privilege to kill an ageing lion that was at risk of inbreeding with his young in the range he was in. but nope idiots(nor you granti) who couldn't find Africa on a map signed petitions to get the guy put away for the maximum possible.

its the same as that Kendall Jones girl. poor young teenage girl receiving death threats of groups of grown men because she hunted big game in Africa. type her name into google the first thing that pops up is a petition to ban her from travel to Africa. whats that about?.


i just cant agree to the hunt for trophies. thats most of my point.
User avatar
L3M182
Outfitter
Posts: 2761
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 10:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby L3M182 » May 10th, 2017, 2:23 pm

but its a trophy hunting game. nothing about harvesting for food. most animals are judged and valued on antlers, horns, tusks and skull size and we have a good few species we straight up dont eat.

trophy hunting is a sport. most say its a cruel sport because innocent animals die. but it contributes more to animal and land conservation than all other sports combined. i may be wrong but im sure everything bought from cabelas and bass pro has a small tax that goes straight into conservation and thats before you've got your tags for an animal you'll enjoy putting on your wall and probably still eat or give to someone else to have a good manymeals. i think food banks will probably do well from the open seasons too. i wonder what golf contributes to bambi.
User avatar
Violator31
Outfitter
Posts: 1721
Joined: July 25th, 2009, 11:59 am
Location: The Grassy Knoll

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby Violator31 » May 10th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Granti wrote:i completly understand your point and im for sure no expert in this kind of subject. im aware that media is not always objectiv and that mankind destroys for the "sake of mankind" the space for animals. also the problem with giraffes might exist (though giraffes mostly eat leaves from a certain tree). but having a reservat dedicated to endangered species, that you would hunt in real life just for the trophy, would mean- for me - to support this kind of hunt. and i think thats one or two levels above hunting deer.

Understood. Like L3M182 pointed out, Cecil was supposedly lure off a reserve & that man was chastised. Then if you put up a "high fence" they will take one of two sides - 1) if you put it up to hunt in, they will say you have created an unfair advantage for the animal. 2) if you put it up to save them from the hunting it isn't fair to the animal that it cannot roam free as it should be able to do.
It's a viscous circle, there never will be a "Winner" declared. It's a hot button issue & will remain so forever.
My opinion is, & will always be, that conservation is doing exactly what they were intended to do & in most cases they are doing a fine job. If they have skewed the numbers one way or the other too far, they will correct it by varying the tag limits accordingly within the next year or so to correct it.
Seeing your reply, above, concerning the "trophy hunts"...again I will use some line of thought by L3M182...these trophy hunts are very expensive. If a person wants to shell out all of that cash for the RUSH they will most likely get from one of these legal hunts, then they are perfectly entitled to do so. That money will go very far in an area that very often relies on that exact revenue. Donating the meat or consuming it yourself is rarely reported accurately, but regardless, if it was a legal hunt, handled properly, they will do everything possible to make sure it was taken care of. They know it won't take long for someone to get in there with a camera to fuel the fire against them.
User avatar
Violator31
Outfitter
Posts: 1721
Joined: July 25th, 2009, 11:59 am
Location: The Grassy Knoll

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby Violator31 » May 10th, 2017, 2:31 pm

L3M182 wrote:but its a trophy hunting game. nothing about harvesting for food. most animals are judged and valued on antlers, horns, tusks and skull size and we have a good few species we straight up dont eat.

trophy hunting is a sport. most say its a cruel sport because innocent animals die. but it contributes more to animal and land conservation than all other sports combined. i may be wrong but im sure everything bought from cabelas and bass pro has a small tax that goes straight into conservation and thats before you've got your tags for an animal you'll enjoy putting on your wall and probably still eat or give to someone else to have a good manymeals. i think food banks will probably do well from the open seasons too. i wonder what golf contributes to bambi.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish that this forum had some sort of a "Like" of "Kudos" button. But I have heard how those can go sour also (even though I don't buy into that). ;)
Thanks.
User avatar
Tanngnjostr
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6494
Joined: July 14th, 2015, 12:41 pm
Location: Moguntia

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby Tanngnjostr » May 10th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Inspired by your discussion I just found an interesting article (2014, Conservation Magazine) on the Internet. Of course it's always a matter of which side you're listening to (even in science), but I thought it was quite a differentiated text: http://www.conservationmagazine.org/201 ... servation/
User avatar
Violator31
Outfitter
Posts: 1721
Joined: July 25th, 2009, 11:59 am
Location: The Grassy Knoll

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby Violator31 » May 10th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Tanngnjostr wrote:Inspired by your discussion I just found an interesting article (2014, Conservation Magazine) on the Internet. Of course it's always a matter of which side you're listening to (even in science), but I thought it was quite a differentiated text: http://www.conservationmagazine.org/201 ... servation/

Interesting. Thank you for that.
User avatar
BCKidd
Outfitter
Posts: 4465
Joined: January 6th, 2012, 2:15 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby BCKidd » May 10th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Violator31 wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:Inspired by your discussion I just found an interesting article (2014, Conservation Magazine) on the Internet. Of course it's always a matter of which side you're listening to (even in science), but I thought it was quite a differentiated text: http://www.conservationmagazine.org/201 ... servation/

Interesting. Thank you for that.


Yes, that article was very interesting. Thanks for linking to it, Tann. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

This Seasons Stats

"Patience and perseverance are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
User avatar
L3M182
Outfitter
Posts: 2761
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 10:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby L3M182 » May 10th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Tanngnjostr wrote:Inspired by your discussion I just found an interesting article (2014, Conservation Magazine) on the Internet. Of course it's always a matter of which side you're listening to (even in science), but I thought it was quite a differentiated text: http://www.conservationmagazine.org/201 ... servation/



yup, 5 selected animals who have contributed or can no longer contribute to its species, vs 2 a day from poaching. of course the 5 auction winners get the flack, because you cant point your finger at an anonymous poacher whos has since vanished.
forthe media its not about having something to save. its about having something to hate.


wonder if as many animal rights actavists donate 350,000 to save 1 rhino in the numbers hunters 350,000 to kill 1. bit march around chanting and shouting, $5 in a charity pot, few hate filled facebook posts about hunting and your soul is saved!.
money talks and like that guys said put a price on an animal and people will happily introduce them onto there land and take an active role in protecting them if it means profit.


thanks for the article. great read
User avatar
DHRifleman
Team Hunter
Posts: 10405
Joined: December 3rd, 2008, 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Status Update 5th May 2017

Postby DHRifleman » May 10th, 2017, 5:18 pm

End of the day this is a trophy hunting game, and not a soapbox to voice ones views on the state of hunting, whether for or against.
I think EW is missing a great opportunity to increase revenue.
There is nothing unethical in this game at all, and only restrictions. No animals are hurt in the playing of this game.
Just because something is in the game does not mean EW is for or against it, just that it is profitable to include it. Applying real world ideology to a video game is a sure way to limit the appeal and the profit. Just think if the game actually went by most lax rules in hunting where it would be, or should I say wouldn't be.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest