Status & Game Updates 30 March 2017 - Baiting overhaul

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Last Crusader

Re: Status & Game Updates 30 March 2017 - Baiting overhaul

Post by Last Crusader »

My highest scoring goat was taken close to my hog feeder (maybe that's the secret :roll: )
Looks like I am going to have to keep one of my hog feeders out in Brushrangers... :D
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Well, I have neither hog nor goat feeder, and I have gotten a 294 and a 246 during regular spot & stalk(technically it was spot & shoot).
I didn't have arid camo, just the almost dev jacket - which only has some effect on all species. So it's down to luck & patience - the big one is out there!

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Feeders in no way influence animal scoring.
Trackfield
Scout

Post by Trackfield »

Its nothing to do with camo, that is for sure.
It seems possible the problem with the feeders going active that needs to be fixed, and maybe it will fix the no goats to hardly any at the feeder problem ?

I saw only 1-2 if that, at my feeders all day except one feeder that had 4-5 around it when I got there.
That was only that one time.

Some times there were no goats around at all.
Waiting in the tower, if there were no goats 1 might show up.

I tried shooting one, (even if small) then moving on to another feeder.
But was being careful at times and not shooting the 1 or 2 that showed up, and moving on to another feeder.

Now I understand it is location, location, location :lol:
however it seems something is just not right.

If it is location, and my 3 feeders are in a bad area, then only a dev would know.(I know I can't be told if that is the case either way, and I respect that)
But if not, I'll wait to see if anyone else is having the problem, and see then.

btw, in full arid camo, if in a straight line of site, and you are crouched, they see you at 77m, with the wind toward you from them.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Bear and boar baiting seems to work fine for me, but goat baiting - not worth the hassle unless I have yet to find the right spots. I have three salt licks and tested a few spots on multiple runs, but one goat at the mineral feeder was the most I've seen so far - it was definitely more efficient to roam around and keep an open eye and ear for the goats.

Maybe the 150 meter attraction radius is not enough? Or maybe I'm just being unlucky, I'll have to try a few times more...
Image Image Image
DOGGRIPSLLC
Tracker

Post by DOGGRIPSLLC »

WoW !!!! Im up to my butt in goats Tang on my feeders. 10 -13 at a time. Let me go get the exact cordinance and I will share them.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

DOGGRIPSLLC wrote:WoW !!!! Im up to my butt in goats Tang on my feeders. 10 -13 at a time. Let me go get the exact cordinance and I will share them.
That'd be great! :) If the new baiting gameplay works as intended it should give me comparable results, so let's test this.
Image Image Image
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

i rocked up to mine, had 2 goats, killed one so now i must twiddle my fingers for a half hour. honestly this needs a revisit why didnt you guys run somthing with such a massive change through the public test server?.especially since so many people have invested into feeders, feed and stands to create setups that are now worlds away from what was paid for.

im trying to get it to grow on me as obviously we'll never go back to the old system but this 30 min intant penalty is killing it for me. begging for it to be changed to somthing that allows me to have extended hunts over my feeders.
DOGGRIPSLLC
Tracker

Post by DOGGRIPSLLC »

Ok tanng There was 10 goats on this one when I got there. So I shot 3 and had to track one. Then mama wanted me to take her to Mcee dee`s for lunch. So sorry for the delay. This one is at X2906 Y11312 I am set up on a tri pod on a hill over looking it at x2942 y 11408
I also took pic`s of the 10 goats but I dont know how to put pic`s on here.
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

caledonianblues wrote:Baiting System Update
With regards to the 30 minute penalty which many have expressed concerns with, we're still reviewing the alternatives. At this stage it's almost certain we will not be switching the trigger from baited animals to spooked animals, due to the implications this would carry. Any other potential changes will be communicated, but we won't be making any immediate changes. It might also be the case that we decide not to make any changes.
The 30 min penalty is fine, but it should only be implemented after the session is closed, like the old system. Pacing the gameplay to 30 mins per kill is not only boring but it keeps the rest of the animals from coming back. They spook for 11 mins and then roam freely for 19 mins without being attracted to anything, and they end up walking out of the attraction radius. One of the design goals was to prevent spawnmashing but I think the current system will have the opposite effect. Knowing that the animals probably won't comeback after the first kill, the player is forced to just unleash hell with the bullpup, trying to kill as many as possible, collect the kills, close the game and wait 30 mins to do it again.

Also, I think the 150m attraction radius for goats is just too small. Even without the penalty, the goats run farther than 150m when spooked, so there is almost no chance of them returning. Again, this kind of forces the player to try and kill as many as possible as soon as they arrive at the bait site.

If there are ten animals on a bait site when I arrive, I intend to spot and kill all ten. My preferred method of doing this would be to kill them all with a bow from a stand over a reasonable time period, about an hour to an hour and half. If the new system won't allow for that then I'll have to change my tactics to fast bulk slaughter, which definitely feels more like grinding than a nice relaxing bow hunt from a stand.
Spoiler:

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”