Community Spotlight - Bow building & Archery with InstinctiveArcher

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
EW_Stefan
Scout

Re: Community Spotlight - Bow building & Archery with InstinctiveArcher

Post by EW_Stefan »

Hey,

I have a question I totally forgot to ask in the Q&A: How much would you reckon does it cost to build a bow from start to finish, including all materials? 8-)

Cheers,

Stefan
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

This was interesting.

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

EW_Stefan wrote:Hey,

I have a question I totally forgot to ask in the Q&A: How much would you reckon does it cost to build a bow from start to finish, including all materials? 8-)

Cheers,

Stefan
Thanks guys. :)

Stefan, it all depends on the type of bow you are making. If you are making a self bow out of a stave, and have access to the correct type of wood, you can go cut down your own and make the bow for next to nothing. All you will need are the tools required and the finish. For a laminated bow, it depends on how many laminations you have, as well as what type of wood you use since some woods are more expensive than others. When I built the recurve, it cost about $150. The longbow that I am working on now is a bit more expensive, since it has two more laminations than the recurve. It is around $175.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

Still quite cheap, how much would a Bear Archery recurve cost?

Biggest shock in this story for me is how young you are, when I was your age I don't think I could make a cup of tea never mind this awesome bow.
EW_Stefan
Scout

Post by EW_Stefan »

That is way cheaper than I thought. My wife is an avid archer as well and she bought her bows until now, which every time she does so cost a significant amount of money.

Cheers,

Stefan
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Cartoon Head wrote:Still quite cheap, how much would a Bear Archery recurve cost?

Biggest shock in this story for me is how young you are, when I was your age I don't think I could make a cup of tea never mind this awesome bow.
Bear recurves range from around $350-$850 depending on the model that you get. Honestly, I think the best recurve bow available today that is mass produced is the Bear Grizzly. It runs around $350 and is one of the best bows that I have ever shot. I don't own one, but would sure like to someday.

Also, I don't know how to make tea either, so don't worry about it. :lol:

Stefan, maybe your wife would like to give building a bow a try. I think she would get much more enjoyment out of shooting a bow that she made herself. :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

You know whats interesting? Trenton and I are both under 21, and we both like listening to older country music. Go figure. :lol: Even though I like some of the newer stuff, I still like Alan Jackson, and George Straight, Don WIlliams, and all the other singers of the late 80's and 90's. I wasn't even born in the 80's! :lol:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Cartoon Head wrote:Still quite cheap, how much would a Bear Archery recurve cost?

I must be like you, I can barely make a hamburger! :lol: :lol: I am starting to get interested in gunsmithing though. I recently took apart a friends .22 that was having a failure to feed, cleaned it completely out, with Remington action cleaner than lubed with hoppes lubricating oil put it all back together, and so far its been working great. Trenton do you have any videos out on building a bow? I would be very interested in watching a video by you building one, might even make me decide to try building one. :shock:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Walt, I don't have any videos, partly because I don't have any good recording equipment, and partly because it would take a very long time to film all of the steps. If you want to see a video of a build, here is South Cox from Stalker Stickbows making a takedown recurve. It's a very good video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbpunmu5BXM

walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Walt, I don't have any videos, partly because I don't have any good recording equipment, and partly because it would take a very long time to film all of the steps. If you want to see a video of a build, here is South Cox from Stalker Stickbows making a takedown recurve. It's a very good video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbpunmu5BXM
Ok, Thanks I will try to watch it soon.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”