Game Update 26th October 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
vsaet
Hunter

Re: Game Update 26th October 2016

Post by vsaet »

Kraftyk wrote:Not sure what is going on. Tried to go to thehunter to play and another patch started. Would not install was trying to do a full game install and that is eating up my data usage way to much so ended it. Tried it a couple more times and it won't even try to patch just goes directly to full install download. Tried to play through Steam (which I hate do to the lag involved) and it has crashed 3 times. I think before anymore of the game developers go on vacation they need to get the launcher fixed so people can play the game. I'm becoming very disgusted with all the excuses for the launcher and people trying to make us use steam which isn't working worth a flip. My membership comes up in a week and not sure I'm going to renew. Costing way to much for data usage to download full version every time they issue a patch and to much crashing with steam. FYI I have a very good computer with a very good graphics card running windows 10 operating system. Really they need to devote time to fixing the launcher before they work on another animal and missions and competitions. I am MSCA and I know that it isn't easy to fix programming issues, but come on this has been going on way too long with the launcher and needs some attention asap. At least fix the launcher before you go creating more problems with new animals.
I am with you! have the same issues and even if I am here for more than 6 years now I am tired from the irresponsibility of the team. First have to fix a problem and after release any patch.
many people have no fast internet connection and downloading the entire game every time is very long. I wrote in another post that the best way to solve that is to release individual files for a patch and not automatic and second to avoid the installer deleting the game folder that causes restarting a new complete download. But I think they don't listen problem's reported by players.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I just had a pink crash. I've never had that happen before. The worst part was I was trying to shoot a grizzly, but I kept hitting the invisible trees. :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Kraftyk

Post by Kraftyk »

vsaet wrote:
Kraftyk wrote:Not sure what is going on. Tried to go to thehunter to play and another patch started. Would not install was trying to do a full game install and that is eating up my data usage way to much so ended it. Tried it a couple more times and it won't even try to patch just goes directly to full install download. Tried to play through Steam (which I hate do to the lag involved) and it has crashed 3 times. I think before anymore of the game developers go on vacation they need to get the launcher fixed so people can play the game. I'm becoming very disgusted with all the excuses for the launcher and people trying to make us use steam which isn't working worth a flip. My membership comes up in a week and not sure I'm going to renew. Costing way to much for data usage to download full version every time they issue a patch and to much crashing with steam. FYI I have a very good computer with a very good graphics card running windows 10 operating system. Really they need to devote time to fixing the launcher before they work on another animal and missions and competitions. I am MSCA and I know that it isn't easy to fix programming issues, but come on this has been going on way too long with the launcher and needs some attention asap. At least fix the launcher before you go creating more problems with new animals.
I am with you! have the same issues and even if I am here for more than 6 years now I am tired from the irresponsibility of the team. First have to fix a problem and after release any patch.
many people have no fast internet connection and downloading the entire game every time is very long. I wrote in another post that the best way to solve that is to release individual files for a patch and not automatic and second to avoid the installer deleting the game folder that causes restarting a new complete download. But I think they don't listen problem's reported by players.
I agree with you, I don't think they care what the players think.
Kraftyk

Post by Kraftyk »

Well after 2 days and using up 15% of our (250 gm) data plan we have finally gotten the patch (V801-V2016102701) to complete only to have it crash immediately. Now for the next 25 days we have to watch everything we do on our computers so we don't go over and have to pay extra because of this faulty launcher. If the admins care about their players at all they need to all devote their time to getting this launcher fixed. If I were a kid I'd probably have already quit the game and asked mom and dad to pay to get me a game that worked but since I'm the grandparent here and I enjoy thehunter and it's concept I just wish they would fix the basic issues before the do anything else. Fix the launcher. PS. Tried steam for all you steam promoters and it crashed in thehunter game 3 times with the new patch and was so laggy I couldn't even get my gun up to shot the elk for the Halloween mission, so please don't go off on me that "Steam is the way to go" been there done that and it doesn't work either!!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

It's not Steam that crashed your game or made it laggy. It doesn't work like that. It's the game itself, which is the same game files through Steam or the website. If the launcher screws up on one, you can bet it certainly will on the other as well.
BeachyKeen

Post by BeachyKeen »

Really bummed out and experiencing similar issues. Let it patch all night and all morning with still no go. Trying it the second time and this time got a pop-up asking to insert the next installation disk. :lol: Anyone know how to get around this?
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

I finally resolved the problem maybe by luck,because after 3 times downloading the entire game and every time starting again,hopefully the launcher at the begining of downloading crashed and when I was in the folder of the game I found all bin files there. From the patching errors before I has seen that the error occurs when the downloaded file ,by the cause of an error in the patching cfg file extracts the content of the bin file not to the game folder but to the download one. Then when we receive the error " cant delete download folder" and we push OK the installer removes all files but in the same time the directory "game" is empty causing the game starting a new complete download.
For me I don't started the launcher I started the installation exe file that has extracted all files to the download directory,after that I copied all files and directories (archives,sound etc ) to the game folder ,i deleted the download folder and started the game. The launcher downloaded 5 I think patches ,because the entire game has not the last patches on it,but normally without checking the checksum that causes the error, and here we are the game is OK.
I think EW have to review all the patching system and for me the only solution is to give patches as individual files and the installer to avoid delete downloaded files and let the user deleting the files himself. For the entire game is the same.One rar or zip file wirh all bin files and the installer to avoid downloading again and again. In 2 words stopping the automatic updates system at the moment that they can't handle it like it will be causing problems to players.
Hope my solution can help some of you.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:It's not Steam that crashed your game or made it laggy. It doesn't work like that. It's the game itself, which is the same game files through Steam or the website. If the launcher screws up on one, you can bet it certainly will on the other as well.
Actually BnB, on a low end computer running Steam in the background as it does when playing the game through it, it could cause issues due to using resources. It would be the same as having your email open in the background, and checking for new messages. On a decent machine it is no problem, on a not so good one, it can be just too much for it.

While I understand why EW has the auto update function, there should be an alternate system that allows the user to just download the entire game in a self extracting file.
If a player has issues with the auto update system due to PC configurations, they could just download the complete game (which they end up having to do anyway) and replace the contents of theHunter folder with the self extracting file and execute it.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

DHRifleman wrote:While I understand why EW has the auto update function, there should be an alternate system that allows the user to just download the entire game in a self extracting file.
If a player has issues with the auto update system due to PC configurations, they could just download the complete game (which they end up having to do anyway) and replace the contents of theHunter folder with the self extracting file and execute it.
I understand the automatic system to, dear Tom, but the parallel manual patching system I propose is because all players has not a high speed connection like you ( I saw somewere that you have 3 mb/sec download speed amd me only 450 Kb/sec) that causes a big problem because for the entire game has to wait 2-3 h of downloading.
Thanks for the sort explanation of the manually update ,I am always to long in explanation maybe because i am Mediterranean ( you know speak to much) ;)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I think being in Stockholm, it's probably very easy for the developers to forget that not everyone has access to super fast connectivity. Here in Stockholm speeds in excess of 800 Mbps upstream and downstream are not uncommon, and such connections are relatively cheap. I suspect the concept of download limits also escapes the developers. So whilst those with slower and in some cases limited connections should be taken into consideration, I suspect it's probably something that doesn't even enter the minds of the developers when they release a patch. Downloading and installing the full game takes less than 5 minutes for me, most of the time, so it must be the same in the Expansive Worlds office.

The patching system absolutely needs to be fixed. Not everyone wants to use Steam, for a mix of reasons, and Steam also doesn't eliminate the problem for those on limited bandwidth connections. Updates should be streamlined to minimise download sizes, and the launcher should be improved to avoid corruptions and loops. It really is a priority in my opinion, since it comes into play so often, most of the time with many people being affected, frustrated and perhaps convinced to ditch the game.

Hopefully this is something the developers are working on following the recent patching fiasco.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”