Game Update 21st September 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Oswald74
Outfitter

Re: Game Update 21st September 2016

Post by Oswald74 »

Again mysterius bugs coming out of nowhere and will stay for a long time?

Come on EW, you were on the right way the last weeks but you are ruining it again with those "features".

MfG L.E. :roll:

Slatkus
Hunter

Post by Slatkus »

From reading this thread it seams that 1 thing is getting fixed but then 10 more are getting broken. It is starting to get really boring. On a bright side there are a lot of interesting new games coming out next month. :)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

[fanboy rant mode on]
This update surely doesn't work the way it should and introduced some new bugs or even reintroduced some old ones - it definitely needs improvements and fixes.
But guys, sometimes I have the feeling you're only waiting for something like this to happen to have a cause to post a pessimistic opinion. This is a permanently evolving game with an old engine, made and maintained by a very small development team - and it seems it's not possible to make every new release bug free. If you cannot live with that, if you cannot stand some features not working after an update and some bugs and problems even being there for a long time (like the second day harvest bug), you should seriously consider moving on to one of the "interesting new games". Hell, sometimes even I quit for a few days because I get fed up by the state of the game (though in my opinion it has vastly improved in the last 2-3 months), but for some reason I cannot live without "The Hunter" for long... and maintaing a positive attitude helps me enjoy the game more.
[fanboy rant mode off]

EDIT: I'm not saying we should accept everything that doesn't work, I'm just saying there are different ways of communicating those problems. And basically saying "This game is nothing but a mess!" or "Nothing is ever working here!" isn't the most helpful way to do so... in my personal opinion.
Image Image Image
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

What should be the solution?

1.) Players accept the new bugs and be happy.

2.) EW is going to learn that they need to test those patches longer. (Maybe collect more fixes and release bigger patches that could be beta tested with the community.)

I prefer 2.)

MfG L.E.

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Tanngnjostr wrote:[fanboy rant mode on]
This update surely doesn't work the way it should and introduced some new bugs or even reintroduced some old ones - it definitely needs improvements and fixes.
But guys, sometimes I have the feeling you're only waiting for something like this to happen to have a cause to post a pessimistic opinion. This is a permanently evolving game with an old engine, made and maintained by a very small development team - and it seems it's not possible to make every new release bug free. If you cannot live with that, if you cannot stand some features not working after an update and some bugs and problems even being there for a long time (like the second day harvest bug), you should seriously consider moving on to one of the "interesting new games". Hell, sometimes even I quit for a few days because I get fed up by the state of the game (though in my opinion it has vastly improved in the last 2-3 months), but for some reason I cannot live without "The Hunter" for long... and maintaing a positive attitude helps me enjoy the game more.
[fanboy rant mode off]

EDIT: I'm not saying we should accept everything that doesn't work, I'm just saying there are different ways of communicating those problems. And basically saying "This game is nothing but a mess!" or "Nothing is ever working here!" isn't the most helpful way to do so... in my personal opinion.
While I agree with what you say, I can tell you that it has been at least three years without a single release of features and events that worked 100% as intended the first time. The root cause is the incredible release schedule. I have accepted to live with a 90% working game throughout all areas (game & web site). I am not aware of a single case that got fixed quicker by being negative or sarcastic. If anything gets fixed then only with the help of constructive feedback. Of course we all get upset at times and would love to post something really biting, but over time you just make yourself a name for being a constant moaner. Honestly I stop reading posts of these people all together, and so does likely EW. ;)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Not only the release schedule is the problem here, but also the amount of content we have in the game after 7.5 years. When we add a thing, we have to test n-th amount of possible combinations how that would interact with the n amount of other things. It's simply not possible to test everything with the resources we have, no matter how much testing time we put into it. Even if we employ more QA people, it won't guarantee that bugs won't slip though, but I can assure you that the game will become non-affordable for a significant amount of our players. We do our best to fix things as soon as possible.
Corsaire31
Tracker

Post by Corsaire31 »

We know you're doing your best to fix these bugs. ;) It happens also with big companies, they always release hotfixes and patches for nearly every DLC.

That's why I never buy new games before 3 to 6 months, they are usually cheaper, most of the main bugs have been ironed out, and very often modding teams have used this time to make the game what it shoud have been on release... :lol:
Virtual pilot - virtual angler - virtual hunter ... real slacker !

waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

Alena Rybik wrote:Not only the release schedule is the problem here, but also the amount of content we have in the game after 7.5 years. When we add a thing, we have to test n-th amount of possible combinations how that would interact with the n amount of other things. It's simply not possible to test everything with the resources we have, no matter how much testing time we put into it. Even if we employ more QA people, it won't guarantee that bugs won't slip though, but I can assure you that the game will become non-affordable for a significant amount of our players. We do our best to fix things as soon as possible.
Back to the point of using a test server then, If most of released content is bugged in some way or another, why is it not being released on a test server. If we get half working content that affects the rest of the game there is no downside to using a test server, even if people see the content before its live. If its not working when released live, people cant play it anyways. At least then the rest off the game is unaffected.
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

Alena Rybik wrote:Not only the release schedule is the problem here, but also the amount of content we have in the game after 7.5 years. When we add a thing, we have to test n-th amount of possible combinations how that would interact with the n amount of other things. It's simply not possible to test everything with the resources we have, no matter how much testing time we put into it. Even if we employ more QA people, it won't guarantee that bugs won't slip though, but I can assure you that the game will become non-affordable for a significant amount of our players. We do our best to fix things as soon as possible.
Ok, but why continue to put a weekly update ?
what is advantage ?
more visibility buzz ? (i dunno , i ask, no troll...)

With the size of content in this big game now, you could do that to month or trimestre, no ?
More time for test i think before release.

Ps: Ohh and today, it's my Hunter birthday : One year old !
Ps²: haw ... no. it's another known bug. Every day is today ...
The cake is a lie :(
Last edited by Yansko on September 23rd, 2016, 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I think part of the reason for the frustration is the fact that for so many people, theHunter is such a huge part of their lives and when it gets compromised by serious issues, it comes as a huge disappointment. I don't play nearly as much as I would like, but the other night I sat down to play then heard from a friend about the animal behaviour and tracking issues. In the end I didn't bother playing and felt pretty bummed about the situation.

Unfortunately theHunter is always going to mean so much more to the players than to the people that develop the game, and I can guarantee that if any of us had to work on the game for a living, we would most likely to grow to hate and resent it. The old technology and lack of tools must be soul destroying for any developer, and I suspect this contributes largely to the churn in staff we've witnessed over the years.

I hope these issues are fixed soon and I hope a better solution for pre-release testing can be found. The current situation, whatever it is, clearly isn't working.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”