Game Update 21st September 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
BCKidd

Re: Game Update 21st September 2016

Post by BCKidd »

Glad to read there is a patch for the slow animals. That is a good thing. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Cogsy666
Outfitter

Post by Cogsy666 »

Alena Rybik wrote:We've just released a patch with the fix for animals reaction being too slow.
Just shot a bison on WRR and it still stood there for 5 seconds or so before it ran away and died.
Rares So Far 129
Non-Typicals So Far 24
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Cogsy666 wrote:
Alena Rybik wrote:We've just released a patch with the fix for animals reaction being too slow.
Just shot a bison on WRR and it still stood there for 5 seconds or so before it ran away and died.
Darn :( But thanks. We will need to look into this again on Monday then :(
CAmulieman
Tracker

Post by CAmulieman »

Second attempt at trying to get game update to work. Failed, both times. Second time, I had uninstalled the game and started w/downloading the launcher. I'm bumbed out. Can't get my theHunter fix. And downloads are slow on our copper wire DSL connection.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Alena Rybik wrote:Not only the release schedule is the problem here, but also the amount of content we have in the game after 7.5 years. When we add a thing, we have to test n-th amount of possible combinations how that would interact with the n amount of other things. It's simply not possible to test everything with the resources we have, no matter how much testing time we put into it. Even if we employ more QA people, it won't guarantee that bugs won't slip though, but I can assure you that the game will become non-affordable for a significant amount of our players. We do our best to fix things as soon as possible.
It seemed that the non reacting animals was pointed out right after the patch so it would seem quite odd that it was not seen in the testing before the release. Either it was known and released anyway, or the only other way would be that what was tested was not exactly what was in the patch.

You have said in the past that it is very time consuming to create a patch which I assume is because you have many lines of code that are in it that will replace the lines of code in the game we have, to avoid us having to download the entire game everytime something is changed. If any one of those new lines is not exactly like it was when it was working during your testing, it can have unforeseen consequences, which means you have to look at every line that was changed to see where the problem happened.

Looking for a couple of slight code mistakes in a game with over 5.5Gb of info in it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Even if you know what lines of code in several Mb of info to look at, it is still a daunting job, and needed to fix a patch gone wrong.

Maybe every patch should have an open beta, that require each tester to download the current version we have (savvy testers can just copy and paste their version into a beta test folder and not need to download) , and then apply the actual patch that is to be released. Even a script could be written to do that for them, and then they would open the launcher in the beta folder and it would apply the patch. They play for a week and if most seems OK, release the patch to everyone. Those testers would then have the game installed for the next open beta patch test. It shouldn't add time to it because as it is, if the patch has errors which was previously pointed out that they all have in the past several years, we end up with a sub par game until a patch for that patch is created anyway.

At the very least add a layer to your internal testing that tests the patch we are to get in a version of the game that we have.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
CAmulieman
Tracker

Post by CAmulieman »

therisths wrote:Image i get a constant message like this while extracting. I hope i dont need to reinstall.
I've had problems too. I downloaded the game update. It was messed up and would not complete the extraction process. After an uninstall, and then downloading the launcher and then the game update of 21 Sep., I found that the uninstall does not delete some of the files on my PC. I've manually deleted those (No, not the trophyshots!) and am downloading for a 3rd time the game update. It takes me abt. an hour w/my slow connection. If it doesn't work THIS time, I will be convinced that there is a flaw in the downloaded file and I'll just have to wait for a future game update to be able to play again. Shucks! I wish the game update downloads could be saved and tried again to see if they will extract correctly. That's something the devs should fix. Not everyone has a T1 line and can download the 3.5GB file in the blink of an eye (like the testers have). Yeh, it stinks!
saldas1983
Hunter

Post by saldas1983 »

I know its hard to test everything and something will be overlooked, but does anybody from devs/quality control people even try to hunt for 10min? It would be obvious lots of thing got broken.
As for the people saying some just wait for the things to go wrong to be able to complain I can say you are so wrong. I do complain when the things go wrong and believe me I don't like it. I'd rather see game I love working well, be happy and positive. But then I see a mess I will complain as I am angry and frustrated. Why is it ok to complain about bad/broken products in everywhere in daily life, but suddenly its not good in gaming industry. I would like to see some people "constructive feedback" after they go to pick up they computer they left to reinstall the software to find out the graphics card not working anymore.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

saldas1983 wrote:I know its hard to test everything and something will be overlooked, but does anybody from devs/quality control people even try to hunt for 10min? It would be obvious lots of thing got broken.
As for the people saying some just wait for the things to go wrong to be able to complain I can say you are so wrong. I do complain when the things go wrong and believe me I don't like it. I'd rather see game I love working well, be happy and positive. But then I see a mess I will complain as I am angry and frustrated. Why is it ok to complain about bad/broken products in everywhere in daily life, but suddenly its not good in gaming industry. I would like to see some people "constructive feedback" after they go to pick up they computer they left to reinstall the software to find out the graphics card not working anymore.
1. They don't play the game...it's pretty obvious after all these years. Did you read the introduction by Moe, the new animator. He plays games. Not one word that he has or is going to play theHunter until he is completely familiar with all of the animations. I know, there are those who will say it doesn't matter...yes it does.

2. I haven't complained on here for a long time. Just playing when I can. Saldas1983, your point is spot on.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
CAmulieman
Tracker

Post by CAmulieman »

Third attempt after uninstall and deleting folders. Still chokes on trying to extract that first file.
MeistaRulez
Scout

Post by MeistaRulez »

Of course the devs are playing THEIR game. It'd be foolish to think and say otherwise.

They're (probably) only playing the game inside of their controlled studio environment, as they have stated time
and time again, that a lot of the bugs WE encounter didn't come up during their initial internal test runs.

THAT seems to be the problem.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”