Status Update 15th September 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
sepulsolja
Hunter

Re: Status Update 15th September 2016

Post by sepulsolja »

Hi there theHunter community. It's been along time since I've posted. I have kept my eye on the community and this game though. Something keeps me coming back, and the latest is the new Rockies map ;)
I simply can't wait to hunt some Muleys on a different map, especially one so beautiful.
As for the latest status update, thank you. I have unfortunately not be able to get the free .243 even after updating to another email account and confirming the link. I don't get a black page. After confirming I get sent to a Hunter page(Elk in the background) and it says "Email confirmation complete!". Still after starting new hunt session and checking inventory ...no new rifle. Hope this get sorted out. The new .243 looks cool.

Thanks for all your hard work EW. Keep it up. Can't wait for new reserve!
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

A way to renew theHunter is may be to star a new hunting area in a new "machine" and let the old part live side by side with the new one.
The dewelooping of new animals weapon terain etc can be done paralell with the maintenance of the existing play.
Interaction between them can be done on the main startprogram. Also the stocked data from both machines can be merged together.

In this way new common programming can be restricted to a main startprogram and the presentation of stocked results. The stocked dataes I supose is database programs.
Still a lot of programming but not cloce to the job transforming everything.

So membership and equipment can be keept and maintained
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

caledonianblues wrote:
L3M182 wrote:theoretically the whole game could be moved over to that platform "as is".
No, not even theoretically. The engine the game is running on now was nothing to do with Avalanche or Expansive Worlds. Yes, Expansive Worlds may have developed it since they inherited / acquired theHunter but it's a totally different engine to the one the Just Cause series runs on. Sure, some stuff could be used, but none of it could be moved over "as is". It would be a massive undertaking. I would estimate somewhere in the region of at least a few million dollars in cost. I would even question whether a team of developers the size of the one at Expansive Worlds could even do it in two years. Think about the amount of content, all the animal AI which would need to be re-written, the behavioural properties of all the weapons and projectiles. None of that stuff could just be "moved over". All that stuff would have to be done again from scratch. Then take all the backend, the interaction between the client and backend, the control system for the game character, the inventory management system, the dogs, the harvesting system, in-game notifications, the way the weather impacts hunting (animal scent, wind direction etc).

This game has magnitudes more content than most modern games, and those takes a couple of years to develop (more in some cases) with teams of hundreds of developers, and giant budgets. Don't get me wrong, I want it as much as everyone else. I just know, without question, that it's not a case of drag and drop and away we go. Not to mention the fact that a new engine would be a prime opportunity for the developers to "get rid of the crap" and do it again properly. Nobody with an ounce of common sense would even consider migrating this game with all the bugs, botch jobs, and band-aids it's endured over the years.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer or claim that it's not possible. Of course it's possible. But is it financially viable for such a niche game? Could Expansive Worlds swallow that cost? I don't know. I'm just trying to help set some realistic expectations. I want it to happen, and would love to be wrong about this, but I don't want a new engine at the cost of losing all the great stuff we have now.
with respect dave i know you know what youre talking about when it comes to this stuff. and probably a hell of allot more than me but it is the same engine just cause 2 runs on just customized to suit thehunter, and they could do it the way i said. the 2 engines are similar just one is newer and better version.

"Q: What does the near future look like, do we get a new Game Engine? (DirectX 11-12)
A: Currently we have no plans of changing Graphics engine. It would require many months of work to convert the game and everything around it to the latest Avalanche Engine. And the game does not automatically get a lot prettier just because you change rendering system. It will still be the same models, animations and effects as before. The lighting may look nicer though."

"Q: This game engine may be fine or may not be fine... I do not know if it has any limitations... Is there any other game engines you easily can switch to, or do this include a lot of programming and time...?
A [Danny]: It has its limitations, like any other game engine out there. We use our in-house engine, created by Avalanche Studios, and I find it really hard to believe we would ever change to another one since we know how to work with ours, we can get help with ours when we need it, and because we believe it’s the best one suited for our need. Another thing is to upgrade it since there are newer versions of it, like the ones Mad Max and Just Cause 3 are using. And that is a possibility, but it is a very expensive and time consuming thing so we’ll see if or when that happens."

from the AMA 18 months ago.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

L3M182 wrote:with respect dave i know you know what youre talking about when it comes to this stuff. and probably a hell of allot more than me but it is the same engine just cause 2 runs on just customized to suit thehunter, and they could do it the way i said. the 2 engines are similar just one is newer and better version.
You know, you're right, it is an old version of the Avalanche engine. Which strangely enough I knew, having read it before, but I completely forgot and for some reason thought Emote used a bespoke engine. I forgot they used Avalanche's engine. Thanks for setting me straight. Even so, I still think the job of moving everything is out of the question, and I very much doubt they will ever do it. A new separate game, built from scratch on the latest version of the engine? Who knows! Maybe one day. I just don't think they would ever take everything we have now and go through the pain of modifying and testing every single component of what is essentially a massive game with a huge amount of content. Besides, like Danny said in the AMA, even if they did do all that work, all you would have at the end is the exact same game, with a better foundation. Which to you and me might seem like a no-brainer, as it would give them the flexibility to improve and move forward, but how exactly would they make any money from that? How would anyone get Mr. CFO to sign off on that one?
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

The important caledonianblues, must be to come into a busines that will keep most of the player and subscreibers also when switchuing over to a new engine.
And find a way to combine them together on a resultbacis. keemp hunter points etc
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

caledonianblues wrote:
L3M182 wrote:with respect dave i know you know what youre talking about when it comes to this stuff. and probably a hell of allot more than me but it is the same engine just cause 2 runs on just customized to suit thehunter, and they could do it the way i said. the 2 engines are similar just one is newer and better version.
You know, you're right, it is an old version of the Avalanche engine. Which strangely enough I knew, having read it before, but I completely forgot and for some reason thought Emote used a bespoke engine. I forgot they used Avalanche's engine. Thanks for setting me straight. Even so, I still think the job of moving everything is out of the question, and I very much doubt they will ever do it. A new separate game, built from scratch on the latest version of the engine? Who knows! Maybe one day. I just don't think they would ever take everything we have now and go through the pain of modifying and testing every single component of what is essentially a massive game with a huge amount of content. Besides, like Danny said in the AMA, even if they did do all that work, all you would have at the end is the exact same game, with a better foundation. Which to you and me might seem like a no-brainer, as it would give them the flexibility to improve and move forward, but how exactly would they make any money from that? How would anyone get Mr. CFO to sign off on that one?

yeah you're totally right. it seems like a massive expensive risk for what will be initially a small pay off. it all depends what frame of mind the company is in. do they think the game still has its best days ahead?. has the best time for this passed or is it still in waiting?. is the plan simply to ride this game until the rides over when the money finally dries up regardless?. Content doesn't seem to be slowing any and hasen't for the last 3 years. and the steam numbers seem to have stayed pretty much the same since its steam launch. so who knows. only the people at the top and they ll never tell until its obvious anyways. at-lease dropping the low scene complexity in the next reserve is streamlining the process of new stuff somewhat and its a kinda side/forward step in the direction im hoping for.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

since the last update. i've had to log-in with my email address and password every time i wanted to hunt...is this going to be the norm?... no, 'remember me' box to check ?...
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Thanks for the update!

the reserve looks nice!
I would like to thank you also for the weapon and 3 days of membership.
I never play this game but in this 3 days i hope to have more fun in this game and maybe i will buy membership again ;)

To bad we cant play the new reserve on "low" grapics settings.
Not a good choice if you ask me.
Anyway, thanks for the updates and see ya in the fields.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

What's up with that new game setting [launcher_setting_contextual_help]?

MfG L.E.

Bearded_Bushman
Spotter

Post by Bearded_Bushman »

Oswald74 wrote:What's up with that new game setting [launcher_setting_contextual_help]?

MfG L.E.
I guess nobody cares . . .
Australian Bushcraft, Bush Tucker, Survival, Tracking, Firecraft, Outdoor Gear, Photography, Fishing, Camping, Exploring Australia and it's Flora & Fauna.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”