Status Update 8th September 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Status Update 8th September 2016

Post by caledonianblues »

Tanngnjostr wrote:In the last 12 months (correct me if I'm wrong), we have gotten 9 new species and we will have four more when the new reserve is released. While I like the variety, it's impossible for someone with a regular amount of free time for gaming to keep up with the tracking and spotting skills. I'd like it if those were shared between similar species - like bears, foxes, ptarmigans, ducks, rabbits/hares etc... Skill progression is insanely slow in this game anyway and it's not getting better now.
You know, I was looking at my skills last night and found myself shaking my head in disbelief at how low they are. I've played this game since 2010, granted not at a hardcore level, but I'm only past level 10 spotting on a few species. I've not reached level 20 on any single skill yet. I think 17 is my highest and that's probably whitetail tracking.

Sure, others might argue that it only takes a few months of intense hunting to crank them all up to the max, but I definitely fall into the "casual player" bracket and even though I could make the time to sit and play more, the truth is I would quickly get sick of it if I played for several hours per day. So I play theHunter with the sad realisation that the game will probably be gone by the time I can spot like the hunters I watch on YouTube.

I agree that the skills system should be revised. For weapons it should be shotguns, rifles, handguns, crossbows, traditional bows, etc. I know handguns vary in real life, and so do rifles, but the principles are the same and this is at the end of the day just a game. For animals skill progression should be grouped too, like you proposed. Spotting ducks is spotting ducks. How can you be good st spotting mallards and dreadful at spotting gadwalls? Same with red foxes and arctic foxes, or Roosevelt elk and the future Rocky Mountain elk.

Grouping of achievements for reskinned weapons should be the same. At the moment it's just a ridiculous meaningless system which I have lost all interest in subscribing to on any serious level. Which is a shame, because the original game design behind the achievements system was fantastic.

Sorry for the deviation, but I wanted to voice my agreement with Marc's suggestion.
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Post by Jack.Grave »

Good point Caledonianblues about skill levels (and achievents) numbers are absolutely insane these days. For level 20 in spotting/shooting you need about 2800 of hits. I am at full support for grouping skills for animal families eg.
Cannines, American small deer, Ursines, Avidae (pheasants/ptamigans/turkeys), Waterfowl, Cervidae (including Alces/Moose) etc. weapons shall be grouped by action eg. Single Shot rifles (legacy rifles .243 and such), Anchutz etc...
Jack
16heurdumat
Spotter

Post by 16heurdumat »

Good ideas here, upgrading skill is a full time job.

I think that my wife disagree the fact that i quit my job to play, whereas i am not opposed. :D

( Sorry if my english isn't correct, not sure :oops: )
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Alena Rybik wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Actually, I think they should put the Roosevelt antlers on the Rocky Mountain elk and make new antlers for the Roosevelt. Roosevelt elk have smaller frames than Rocky Mountain elk, but are heavier, often with palmation. They also tend to get more irregularities such as crowns, stickers, etc. as opposed to Rocky Mountain elk.
You are absolutely correct and we've discussed this idea (putting Roosevelt antlers on Rocky Mountain elk and making new antlers for Roosevelt), since it would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, that would mean that leaderboards and such will become messed up and inconsistent. Our artists are working on finding a solution for this.
Start a new season when the new reserve is ready and make the changes to the elk. That way there should be no problems with the leader board.
ForstHeld
Outfitter

Post by ForstHeld »

I think they already changed (maybe by accident) the weapon/animal skills. These days i reach weapon lvl 6-7 with ~100 harvest in the past this was reached with ~250 harvests:

With these skills:

ImageImage

And if i look to the new species and the old ones it apears like this:

With these skills:

ImageImage

EDIT: Its this way since the introduction of WRR.
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

ForstHeld wrote:I think they already changed (maybe by accident) the weapon/animal skills. These days i reach weapon lvl 6-7 with ~100 harvest in the past this was reached with ~250 harvests:
I don't think devs did anything intentionally, but I too noticed that I level up much quicker. I realized it is that way since last double xp weekend. I think some kind of bug made it turned on or something ;-)
Slatkus
Hunter

Post by Slatkus »

Alena Rybik wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Actually, I think they should put the Roosevelt antlers on the Rocky Mountain elk and make new antlers for the Roosevelt. Roosevelt elk have smaller frames than Rocky Mountain elk, but are heavier, often with palmation. They also tend to get more irregularities such as crowns, stickers, etc. as opposed to Rocky Mountain elk.
You are absolutely correct and we've discussed this idea (putting Roosevelt antlers on Rocky Mountain elk and making new antlers for Roosevelt), since it would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, that would mean that leaderboards and such will become messed up and inconsistent. Our artists are working on finding a solution for this.
If we are already touching leaderboards. Have you looked at current Sitka deer leaderboard? Will this be corrected or will it stay like it is and the 1st place will enter hall of fame just because Sitka was killed while scoring was bugged? Could you actually tell us what is current maximum score for Sitka? Is it 120?

Just my personal opinion but I would love to see some stats of animals. Nice picture and then basic info about them like max weight and score, what callers/lures they are attracted to. Just like in other games. Whenever some new stuff is being released (like new cars in racing games) you will see picture of it with a base stats.
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

Tracking and spotting are a bit grindy.... harvest should be instant spot and asprevuous suggestions stated spotting and tracking are kind of ridiculous...
Treedweller
Tracker

Post by Treedweller »

JamboWhoDat wrote:
Alena Rybik wrote:
Start a new season when the new reserve is ready and make the changes to the elk. That way there should be no problems with the leader board.
I think EW shouldn't pass on this opportunity to put the antlers in accordance with reality, otherwise it will become a mess and it will be more painful for everybody to fix. And while I don't have a problem with the leaderboards anyway, I think starting a new season when the new reserve is released would be an excellent solution for those who do too.
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

caledonianblues wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:In the last 12 months (correct me if I'm wrong), we have gotten 9 new species and we will have four more when the new reserve is released. While I like the variety, it's impossible for someone with a regular amount of free time for gaming to keep up with the tracking and spotting skills. I'd like it if those were shared between similar species - like bears, foxes, ptarmigans, ducks, rabbits/hares etc... Skill progression is insanely slow in this game anyway and it's not getting better now.
You know, I was looking at my skills last night and found myself shaking my head in disbelief at how low they are. I've played this game since 2010, granted not at a hardcore level, but I'm only past level 10 spotting on a few species. I've not reached level 20 on any single skill yet. I think 17 is my highest and that's probably whitetail tracking.

Sure, others might argue that it only takes a few months of intense hunting to crank them all up to the max, but I definitely fall into the "casual player" bracket and even though I could make the time to sit and play more, the truth is I would quickly get sick of it if I played for several hours per day. So I play theHunter with the sad realisation that the game will probably be gone by the time I can spot like the hunters I watch on YouTube.

I agree that the skills system should be revised. For weapons it should be shotguns, rifles, handguns, crossbows, traditional bows, etc. I know handguns vary in real life, and so do rifles, but the principles are the same and this is at the end of the day just a game. For animals skill progression should be grouped too, like you proposed. Spotting ducks is spotting ducks. How can you be good st spotting mallards and dreadful at spotting gadwalls? Same with red foxes and arctic foxes, or Roosevelt elk and the future Rocky Mountain elk.

Grouping of achievements for reskinned weapons should be the same. At the moment it's just a ridiculous meaningless system which I have lost all interest in subscribing to on any serious level. Which is a shame, because the original game design behind the achievements system was fantastic.

Sorry for the deviation, but I wanted to voice my agreement with Marc's suggestion.

I completely agree.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”