Crash Update - Workaround Test

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Crash Update - Workaround Test

Post by caledonianblues »

Introduction
As most players probably know, there are some issues with the game client that often result (at least for the majority of players) in the game crashing. This is extremely frustrating and detracts from the fun of playing theHunter. The developers are aware of the situation and the magnitude of the problem, and are continuing to work on fixing the issue at the source. In the meantime, there is an unofficial workaround which was discovered by forum member Pretty_Boy which has subsequently been tested by a closed group of approximately ten players, working in close collaboration with Expansive Worlds. The workaround has thus far proven to be successful in eliminating game crashes for those involved in testing.

The purpose of this thread is to help roll the workaround out to other forum members and players, and to gather feedback so that Expansive Worlds can determine how successful the workaround is when tested within a larger group. If the workaround proves to be successful with a large number of players, then Expansive Worlds will implement a central patch which will prevent the need for this workaround. This will help reduce frustration and enable players to continue enjoying the game until such times as the underlying problem is addressed and a suitable patch is released.

How does it work?
The workaround makes the main game executable large address aware, meaning it can address more than 2GB of memory. In theory the solution should not make any difference unless the client code has been written to utilise this additional memory. However, the test results so far have been conclusive. The original DIY fix, outlined by Pretty_Boy in a forum post on 25th June, included downloading a third party application which could then be used to modify the game executable, making it large address aware. Whilst the instructions Pretty_Boy provided were adequate to test the workaround, it is not necessarily a process everyone will want to follow. Therefore, given the varying degrees of technical capabilities of players and forum members, I worked closely with John (Fletchette) to come up with a suitable solution that should hopefully make the workaround more accessible, and enable more people to test it.

How do I apply the workaround?
There are a couple of options, aimed at making the process a bit easier.

Option 1
I wrote an application that will automatically patch your game executable file. All you have to do is download the application and run it. Doing so will launch an installer, attempt to locate the game executable on your computer, then apply the patch. If the installer cannot find the executable file, you will be prompted to browse your computer and locate the correct folder (see below for more information on default folders). Once the installer finishes patching the game, you should in theory be able to play the game without crashes, like the players in the test group.

If you would like to download this application and help automate the patching process, please use the download links below.

Please note: I wrote this application myself, and consequently it has not been "signed". That means Windows (and some anti-virus software) may warn you that the application was not written by a verified publisher. I am not in the habit of developing Windows-based software, so do not have a code signing certificate for such events. I can assure you however that the file is completely safe, despite any warnings or notifications Windows or your anti-virus software may present. To ensure this application runs without any issues, it is advisable to temporarily disable your anti-virus / firewall software. Just be sure to enable it again when the installation is complete.

This download button links to an installer file which will patch the game executable file.

This download button links to an installer file which will restore the game executable file to its original state.

Option 2
If you are comfortable navigating your system and know how to locate the folder in which the game executable is saved, you may feel more at ease downloading a patched version of the executable, which includes the workaround. All you have to do is download the file, then copy it to your game folder. Here are some of the default installation locations (if you have installed the game on a different drive or in a different directory you should navigate accordingly):

Code: Select all

Non-Steam Version
C:\Program Files (x86)\theHunter\game

Steam Version
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\theHunter\game
If you would like to download the patched game executable directly then please use the download links below.

This download button links to the patched game executable file.

This download button links to the original "unpatched" game executable file.

Will this definitely stop the game crashing?
Obviously no guarantees can be offered. Within the group of testers that this workaround has been tested by so far, the results are 100% positive. That is not to say it will work for everyone, but that is the main purpose of this thread. There is nothing to lose by trying. If the patched version of the game does not fix the crashes, you can revert back to the original version of the game executable easily enough.

What is Expansive World's take on this and will I get in trouble for modifying game files?
This is what the devs added officially in a subsequent post:

First of all, we want to say thank you to this dedicated and incredibly passionate community. Your support, not only by playing the game, but by being active on the forum, having suggestions and even looking for solutions outside of the box means the world to us.
We are testing this work-around fix internally. There is more to it then checking whether crashes are reduced but once all testing is verified, we will build in the solution and roll it out automatically for everyone. However this is no guarantee that the fix will be worked in. We will take our time to analyze everything.
To support this work-around and gather statistical data, you will not get punished by adjusting your executable (.exe) file with this modification.
However, you will not receive support for adjusted executable files. Should we roll it out for everyone, then support will of course be given but for this work-around it will not be the case.
There won’t be a game patch this week so feel free to give the work-around a try if you experience issues.
Be sure to revert those changes when the next patch is released (planned for next week).

We hope that this will help all affected players and are looking forward to collect data and work on integrating this fix for good.

Let us know how it works for you!

So, no. Expansive Worlds have endorsed this workaround and will not be taking action against any players who use or attempt to use this workaround.

What happens when there is a game patch?
If you are running a patched version of the game executable, then by default a game patch will fail. However, I have been informed by Expansive Worlds that a game patch is not due for at least a week. That will give players a good chance to test this workaround and report back on this thread. Hopefully if it works for everyone and does not cause any issues, Expansive Worlds can consider applying the patch centrally. However, if a game patch is introduced which does not include this workaround, then the process players need to follow prior to downloading a game patch, is to revert back to the original game executable file. There are instructions on how to do this above, under option 1 and option 2.

Acknowledgements
On behalf of the community I would like to acknowledge Pretty_Boy for discovering and sharing this solution. I would also like to acknowledge the group of players who put in lots of effort and tested this workaround, as well as John (Fletchette) for his help with rolling the solution out and coordinating testing with other players.
Philipp Strecker
EW Staff
EW Staff

Re: Crash Update - Workaround Test

Post by Philipp Strecker »

First of all, we want to say thank you to this dedicated and incredibly passionate community. Your support, not only by playing the game, but by being active on the forum, having suggestions and even looking for solutions outside of the box means the world to us.
We are testing this work-around fix internally. There is more to it than checking whether crashes are reduced but once all testing is verified, we will build in the solution and roll it out automatically for everyone. However this is no guarantee that the fix will be worked in. We will take our time to analyze everything.
To support this work-around and gather statistical data, you will not get punished by adjusting your executable (.exe) file with this modification.
However, you will not receive support for adjusted executable files. Should we roll it out for everyone, then support will of course be given but for this work-around it will not be the case.
There won’t be a game patch this week so feel free to give the work-around a try if you experience issues.
Be sure to revert those changes when the next patch is released (planned for next week).

We hope that this will help all affected players and are looking forward to collect data and work on integrating this fix for good.

Let us know how it works for you!
Cogsy666
Outfitter

Post by Cogsy666 »

Will give this a try. I 100% crash every hunt on WRR so will go there ASAP after doing this and see what happens.
Rares So Far 129
Non-Typicals So Far 24
Dirtclod
Outfitter

Post by Dirtclod »

I'll give it a shot too. I can only give you about two hours a day test time. Switching computers now. How exciting. Hope this works.
Misstik
Hunter

Post by Misstik »

Thanks I will try this, but I have to download the full game because i only installed it from steam
Androssi
Spotter

Post by Androssi »

Will definitely give this a shot, I want to run home from work and just do it right now! That's how desperate the situation has become for me, withdrawal since Sunday.
It's pretty awesome that the community pitches in like this. We have some great hunters among us.
Androssi
Spotter

Post by Androssi »

misskiki68 wrote:Thanks I will try this, but I have to download the full game because i only installed it from steam
I'm not sure what you mean by download full game. When you install it from steam, that's about the same as downloading the whole game. It doesn't run on any sort of cloud service. It does ask you where you want to put the files when you first installed via Steam. Go there and do a search on theHunter.exe and then right click on the result, Open File Location, to get to that folder where you'd paste in the replacement fix .exe.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I had frequent crashes and some ugly graphics glitches over the last weeks, WRR usually didn't last for longer than 30 minutes before it crashed. Fletchette gave me the patch a few days ago and I could test it twice until now (not much, I know) - one 100 minute hunt and one 60 minute hunt on WRR. Both were without crashes, graphics glitches or any other problems even though I alt-tabbed out a lot, opened inventory and map multiple times. I closed the hunts on my own and the stats were there immediately. Will of course test it more... but please give it a try, people! :D
Image Image Image
Misstik
Hunter

Post by Misstik »

Androssi wrote:
misskiki68 wrote:Thanks I will try this, but I have to download the full game because i only installed it from steam
I'm not sure what you mean by download full game. When you install it from steam, that's about the same as downloading the whole game. It doesn't run on any sort of cloud service. It does ask you where you want to put the files when you first installed via Steam. Go there and do a search on theHunter.exe and then right click on the result, Open File Location, to get to that folder where you'd paste in the replacement fix .exe.
oh so it works for steam? I just replace the original .exe by the patched one, that's right? thanks
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

You can try the workaround with the Steam version of the game. Just navigate to the game within your Steam folder, which by default will be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\theHunter\game

Replace "theHunter.exe" in there with the one linked in the OP. Alternatively download and run the patcher.

This has been tested on the Steam version of the game, and it also works.

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”