Status Update 20th May 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
waiora
Outfitter

Re: Status Update 20th May 2016

Post by waiora »

great changes for the iron sights, hope the .300 is better, they wernt bad before. the 243 and 270 really needed it
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

Seriously EW ?, I got to my tent, loaded the 3 rifles to have a look, and its a pathetic copy/paste job. They all have the same sights now. The old .300 sight was 10x better with the small red tip.

Why do you even bother with these "improvements" They are equally bad on the 243 and 270 as they were previously and now the 300 is also useless for comps like heart seeker.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I just checked and indeed the .300's iron sight is pretty bad now. Dark front posts quickly disappear if the animal is in a shadow or even just dark itself, and you can't do safe shots.

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

HooCairs wrote:I just checked and indeed the .300's iron sight is pretty bad now. Dark front posts quickly disappear if the animal is in a shadow or even just dark itself, and you can't do safe shots.

The back sigh on the .300 was bad, but there was no reason to mess up the front sight, it was one of the only really nice ones in the game.

For those who want to know how you go about changing the sights the process would be something like the following.

Open up the model.
Add a couple of loop cuts on the sights and drag a few vertices around. You would keep a center vertices on the front sight in place so you dont have to re-center the whole thing afterwards.
When the sight looks different you mark a few seams and unwrap it, on the same texture it used before, because you can see the sight uses the same old metal look as the actual rifle.
Then you just import the new model into your engine.
This should take about 5mins even for an amateur 3D artist when he already has the original model to work with.

I can only imagine how busy they must be to copy paste something as simple as a sight. Change the .300 back, it was better before :/
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

killertut wrote:
Terzi1985 wrote:I wish you didn't take the absolute easiest way with those old .243, .270 and .300 rifles. They totally would have deserved A FULL update with some love and effort put in to it, and finally the magazines they look to have but still don't have. Sorry but I'm a bit dissapointed if this minimal sight change was all for those rifles, I still don't see any more reason to use them as they are. I would have loved to see them fully remade with some quality.
they do not want to give those rifles magazines.
Those weapons are not supposed to be single shot. They are equipped with internal box magazines.
It's not as much of an issue for me since the addition of other weapons but it used to annoy me when that was all there was to use.
I still don't use them much simply because they are single shot in-game, for whatever reason. Although the .300 is still one of my favorites for stopping power.
There will always be some who prefer them as single shot, but they're just not meant to be, at least in the real world. And if realism is so important than they should be made 3 to 5 shot depending on the actual model they are modeled after.
Maybe at some point some more true single shot hunting rifles like the 7mm break action can be added to the game.
Mr. Laurel
Scout

Post by Mr. Laurel »

So instead of implementing new collectibles they should add a posibility to do something with that stuff.. I dont want to start with that again because there are so many posts in the forum about this topic xD :lol:

Just saying :)
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

waiora wrote:
HooCairs wrote:I just checked and indeed the .300's iron sight is pretty bad now. Dark front posts quickly disappear if the animal is in a shadow or even just dark itself, and you can't do safe shots.

The back sigh on the .300 was bad, but there was no reason to mess up the front sight, it was one of the only really nice ones in the game.

For those who want to know how you go about changing the sights the process would be something like the following.

Open up the model.
Add a couple of loop cuts on the sights and drag a few vertices around. You would keep a center vertices on the front sight in place so you dont have to re-center the whole thing afterwards.
When the sight looks different you mark a few seams and unwrap it, on the same texture it used before, because you can see the sight uses the same old metal look as the actual rifle.
Then you just import the new model into your engine.
This should take about 5mins even for an amateur 3D artist when he already has the original model to work with.

I can only imagine how busy they must be to copy paste something as simple as a sight. Change the .300 back, it was better before :/
Where did you learn to adjust a sight on a model. There is nothing wrong with the way the rear sight looks.
1st you would un-attach the part of the rear sight from the main barrel part.
Align the whole rear V sight part up to the center of the barrel main part and attach it back to the main barrel part.
The part drawing tex coordinates will line up to the sight if they were assigned to the sight.
This should not be a wrap, that is mostly used for low poly models.
Things like this rear sight happens when a 3d modeler doesn't pay close attention in the 1st place, or accidently changes them by mere fractions without knowing they did it making it off center.

P.S. IMO, like you said, the old rear V sight is better.
Last edited by gas56 on May 22nd, 2016, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waiora
Outfitter

Post by waiora »

Try reading my post again.

Where did i talk about alignment of the sights? The rear alignment isn't the problem. The old one would already be aligned. I only stated to keep a center vertices of the old alignment when they get remodeled so that alignment doesn't have to be redone. That way the remodeling is only a movement of a couple of vertices that wont even change the alignment.

Past shortest range competitions would suggest the ray casting is done form the tip of the weapon. Because longer rifle models gave shorter distances in short range comps compared to revolvers for example. Thus the alignment would be from the center of projection(the player camera) to the front sight. And the shot is raycasted from there.

And to TEXTURE it you unwrap the whole model to a UV. The sights clearly share a part of the weapon texture and if you want ill go f2 at a lodge and can probably match up the scratches with a part on the barrel somewhere. This is done to save on texture space.

And both the front and rear sight is definitely low poly, you dont include polys for objects in games if there is 0 visible geometry for it. The new sights are probably as low as 50 poly for the rear and even less for the front.

The whole discussion isn't even about the rear sight.... look on the iamges hoocairs posted and you will see where the red dot on the .300 used to be, certainly not on the rear sight
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Waiora, take it easy.... I was just messin' with you buddy. Everybody can see the front of the barrel needs lined up. ;)
That's what the grid is for.

About the Iron sights, if they were made narrower, it could have a better long range, as more of the target would be seen.
If the iron sights were made like this, low light in shadows wouldn't be such a hindrance and placement would be easier to see.
Last edited by gas56 on May 22nd, 2016, 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

Mr. Laurel wrote:So instead of implementing new collectibles they should add a posibility to do something with that stuff.. I dont want to start with that again because there are so many posts in the forum about this topic xD :lol:

Just saying :)
agree

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”