Game Update 2nd March 2016

The latest news and announcements about theHunter provided by the developers
Mich Angel
Hunter

Re: Game Update 2nd March 2016

Post by Mich Angel »

So first hunts done for polar bears in game after beta test and I have to say the new color is perfect spot on. It seem less aggressive than during the beta test,
something I really missed hunting them now but it could be just me hunting different now, they were absolutely great. ;)

Only one thing I still can't wrap my head around how the most basic instinct in a polar bear is overlooked and not done correctly.
Kind of give that feeling of nooo... this is not right, and some of the immersion built up during the hunt is gone with the wind.. :P

Polar bears do not flee in to forest like brown and black bear do when spooked, there natural element is ice floes and water as seals, walruses, penguins and the polar bear.
They are all land living marine mammals and they all share the same basic flee instinct behavior. When spooked they flee in to water that is their natural response to a threat
and if they are on mainland or shoreline roaming. They get back toward the water as fast as they can, dive in and swim away. This part is totally overlooked....

Polar bears can hold their breath for 3-5 minutes easy and they do use the U-boat technic (just stick up head realy slow and check surroundings)
to see if coast is clear before returning up from water. Now that would cause a harvest challenge :D
I see no reason why not the polar bear should have this behavior in the game, to swim of considerable distance
and come up some other place on the ice and go back to roaming. It would defenetly put another spin to the game and their behavior would be more corect.
This totally baffles me that this natural behavior of a polar bear is not in the game, when so much effort is made to pursue reality in the game.

IMHO I think this natural behavior that is specific for polar bear and not like any other bears behavior need to be fixed.
Or it is just a white brown bear that swim and dive in icy water when it should be hibernating. ;)

Polar Bear Release Missions [ CHECK ] Work perfect :D
Really awesome job done with the polar bear (except the fleeing behavior thing) and awesome finaly fixed the sound, feels alot more natural walking around in WRR now well done. :D
Thank you for a great work ;)

Happy hunting :D
Hunt with your head not with your itchy trigger finger.. and things probably turn out a lot more successful and fun ;)

jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

dude how will you harvest him if he flees to ice field . Oh , i forgot of course you send your retriever , that's obvious :D
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I really like the polar bear.
They're tough to find and tough to get to on occasion. It's added an extra challenge in for me.
Good job EW.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Mich Angel
Hunter

Re:

Post by Mich Angel »

jpm1 wrote:dude how will you harvest him if he flees to ice field . Oh , i forgot of course you send your retriever , that's obvious :D
:lol: :lol: that was realy funny... dude! :D :lol:

It might just make you think twice then before shooting, wont it ;)
Well I suceded in taking out 10 without to much hazel most of them out on the ice...

Oh! i forgot ofcourse,.. I Hunt with my head not with my itchy trigger finger.. so things probably turned out a lot more successful, yea that was obvious! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actualy it wouldn't be any more different than wen the Ibex flee over mountains you can't even come close to climb.. ;)

Or like the black bear I tracked in RFF that took a shortcut over to the island under the water with bubbles on surface at the northern swamp.. I had to watch the bubbles and mark on map where he got up walk around the hole thing and restart tracking on the other side. Same thing happen with a feral hog in Bushrangers Run it did a shortcut under the water over to other side and I had to run around the hole thing.. ;) Make it little more of a real challenge to track like RL ;)
But best option is to make shore it is a drop on the spot, one shoot kill and less traking.. .. yea I wish :P
Hunt with your head not with your itchy trigger finger.. and things probably turn out a lot more successful and fun ;)

TheSpecter
Scout

Post by TheSpecter »

Just out of curiosity, weren't the ice fields accessible in the beta? Now there's always at least 20yds of water to them and water between the individual floes, too. Makes hunting polar bears pretty much an exercise in futility, as all bears I've encountered so far were merrily circling on an ice fields and couldn't be bothered to get ashore. Rather frustrating that way, if you ask me - killing without harvesting just will keep you getting "love letters" from Doc... :lol:

Steam made a full download and update of the game, and there are actually bears around, so I'd rule out a faulty or outdated installation. Guess it's actually intended that way by EW. I was putting up with the bears' hunting model as it sounded interesting to me, but that pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin, as far as polar bear hunting is concerned...

Edit: Ok, forget this post. I'm just on my third hunt after the update and this time I got the same icepack as in the beta. Guess that just was some fluke, maybe a caching issue.
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

I had the same problem with the ice until I realized that I didn't have my settings on high. Now the ice comes all the way to the shore as in beta.

TheSpecter
Scout

Post by TheSpecter »

EndPin wrote:I had the same problem with the ice until I realized that I didn't have my settings on high. Now the ice comes all the way to the shore as in beta.
You know what, that actually might be the cause, as I changed my settings from low to high scene complexity between hunts #2 and #3, too. Would make it imho a proper bug, as the landscape shouldn't be depending on the graphics settings (just imagine low settings making the swamp islands in RFF vanish).
Chumbafogo

Post by Chumbafogo »

Can I hunt polar bears with a bait barrel?
Code: Select all
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Chumbafogo wrote:Can I hunt polar bears with a bait barrel?
No
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:
Chumbafogo wrote:Can I hunt polar bears with a bait barrel?
No
Actually the right answer is: "yes, but is better to use a high caliber rifle!" (if you hit the polar bear in the head, with the barrel, multiple times, he may dies ;) )
Spoiler:

Return to “Latest News & Announcements”