Funny Hunter Moments

Share your best screenshots and videos from the game, check out the great art submitted or post about your own fan site!
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Funny Hunter Moments

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

So today I decided to do some pheasant hunting at Logger's Point. It was kind of fun and a nice change from my norm. To secure some trohpies for the lodge, at least initially, I went for the cheap shots figuring I can upgrade the trophies later. Well this game certainly has it's funny moments. After spotting a female sitting in the grass, taking her out, and when I discovered the body I found a dead rat right beside her. What where those dirty varments doing? Looks like I interupted something. LOL LOL! :lol: :o

[img]Image[/img]
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Funny Hunter Moments

Post by stancomputerhunter »

That dead rat is Doc's version of NSA. :lol: You will be punished. A 230 Mulie will walk over a hill, right after you have run out of ammo. :o

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Treestand hunting on Whitehart gave me a chuckle. :lol: Maybe others can help clear my mind about something. How realistic is it that on the left of me I have 6 Elk cows walking down the road in a straight orderly line, each a few meters apart, and I can drop each one with my bow without alerting the one's behind her? To my right, not seen in the photo are my turkey decoys. There are two or three male turkeys, and one blacktail buck approaching on the right as I pick off elks on my left (which didin't alert the other animals. However when I went to harvest the turkeys and the blacktail, both spooked as soon as I drew my weapon.

As comical this dichotomy was to watch, I don't remember animals being so skittish when I'm in a treestand especially when there's decoys present. In this example I was wearing the Doc outfit and scent eliminator. I thought decoys are supposed to help turkeys stay put? That didn't happen here. This mostly happened with the male turkeys that they walked up to my decoy, once there they were alerted to me drawing my weapon as soon as I drew it, and spooked. Is this normal to happen with certain species when player is in a treestand?

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

Turkey can be pretty spooky when too close even if in a treestand.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Turkeys are too smart for their own good. I've had enough turkeys spot me in treestands or towers that I shoot em all as soon as they get close enough now. The crossbow pistol is EXCELENT for taking out turkeys, and very very rarely makes enough noise to spook anything close.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

jttoo wrote:Turkeys are too smart for their own good. I've had enough turkeys spot me in treestands or towers that I shoot em all as soon as they get close enough now. The crossbow pistol is EXCELENT for taking out turkeys, and very very rarely makes enough noise to spook anything close.
I'm working on this one mission that requires me to harvest 1 turkey + 1 coyote with the ten point crossbow. urg! Not so easy because these animals are very skittish and I have to lure them pretty close...too "close for comfort" as I like to say. I'm thinking I should lean on using the towers instead of tree stands here as there are many tower locations that are simply wonderful for hunting game on this map.

At tower-6 on Whitehart, I've got my motion preditor decoy set at 80m for coyote, and a motion preditor decoy set at 20m at golden tree stand. I think I'll move the decoy at tower-6 to 40m and use the tower instead of the tree stand because I don't anticipate avoiding spooking the coyote at the tree stand.

The golden tree stand at Whitehart, I like for luring elk bulls. There's another tree stand I use next to a field to the south I like for deer because I have a clear view for taking ranged shots. At close range, the deer seem to spook easily and therefor making close range bow shots difficult.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:Treestand hunting on Whitehart gave me a chuckle. :lol: Maybe others can help clear my mind about something. How realistic is it that on the left of me I have 6 Elk cows walking down the road in a straight orderly line, each a few meters apart, and I can drop each one with my bow without alerting the one's behind her? To my right, not seen in the photo are my turkey decoys. There are two or three male turkeys, and one blacktail buck approaching on the right as I pick off elks on my left (which didin't alert the other animals. However when I went to harvest the turkeys and the blacktail, both spooked as soon as I drew my weapon.

As comical this dichotomy was to watch, I don't remember animals being so skittish when I'm in a treestand especially when there's decoys present. In this example I was wearing the Doc outfit and scent eliminator. I thought decoys are supposed to help turkeys stay put? That didn't happen here. This mostly happened with the male turkeys that they walked up to my decoy, once there they were alerted to me drawing my weapon as soon as I drew it, and spooked. Is this normal to happen with certain species when player is in a treestand?
No it's not realistic, at all. For one thing, as far as I know Elk behavior, they're primarily loners. It's rare to see more than one at a time. I could be wrong but from online stuff I've seen and read about them (I don't trust anything online to be accurate) shares that. Secondly it's not realistic that they don't spook and take off from seeing their girlfriend in front of them in full view suddenly drop and die. Wild animals are skittish of that and any sudden, quick, noise.

I hunt Turkeys at Whitehart often. I don't use decoys because I've found they're not needed. Turkeys, as all animals do but Turkey's seem to do it longer and levitate around the same area longer than other animals before roaming off, stop often for sometimes 2 minutes or more before they move again. Without a decoy. What the decoy does is attract them to hanging out near the decoy. The Turkey decoy was designed for the game so we could attract them to a certain area we wanted to shoot them in. As far as I know decoys don't do too much to prevent them from being spooked. Maybe a little but not much.
No need decoys for Turkey. The box caller is all I use when I'm after Turkey.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:
jttoo wrote:Turkeys are too smart for their own good. I've had enough turkeys spot me in treestands or towers that I shoot em all as soon as they get close enough now. The crossbow pistol is EXCELENT for taking out turkeys, and very very rarely makes enough noise to spook anything close.
I'm working on this one mission that requires me to harvest 1 turkey + 1 coyote with the ten point crossbow. urg! Not so easy because these animals are very skittish and I have to lure them pretty close...too "close for comfort" as I like to say. I'm thinking I should lean on using the towers instead of tree stands here as there are many tower locations that are simply wonderful for hunting game on this map.
I think you can probably complete this mission pretty easily from Tower 6 at Whitehart or at the opposite end of the field from tower 6 there's a tree a stand will go in I've been having really good hunts from getting a lot of Turkey, Elk, Coyote, and Blacktail. If that's not where you have your tree stand give it a try. I call coyote right to me without spooking them with the caller from that stand all the time and Turkey are a'plenty there.

I have my tree stand placed facing north. From there I can see all the way up the road to the north to the intersection, behind me to where the road turns, the entire Tower 6 "Elk Meadow" field, and the pathway in the woods to the East. Coyote normally approach from the East. With 2 calls with the jackrabbit caller, no decoy anywhere, I get a pack of coyotes right under my tree stand within 5 to 10 game minutes. Turkey usually come from the North or from the forest west of the field. Calling them they come up the bank on to the road right under the tree stand. It's been a great spot for me I haven't seen anyone else share.

Optionally if you blow 2 calls with the jackrabbit caller from the rocks in front of tower 6 you should be able to get a pack of coyote to come there too. Blow the call, go in to the tower, and wait for them to come. They'll come right to where the call was made and stop there for a shot in easy range of the tower.

I always wear the Sneaky 3D Summer forest Camo set at Whitehart. I've had the best luck with it. The B&C set worked well for me for a while but I wasn't getting any coyote to come anywhere near as close as they do with the 3d set. I start all my hunting sessions at 8am, spawn at a lodge, and fast travel to a tent.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Bort wrote:For one thing, as far as I know Elk behavior, they're primarily loners. It's rare to see more than one at a time.
This part is not true. Where I live there are Roosevelt Elk and I've been hiking in the wilderness enough to see herds of Elk roam in the woods. Whenever I've seen them in the wild they roam in large herds, mostly cows. The herds in this game are nothing. I've turned a corner on a logging road while hiking and suddenly there's a herd of 15 to 20 Elk standing in the road 50 ft from me, and they start trotting off.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

@Bort

My intention was to use tower 6 as it is one of my favorite locations. I've never had a problem hunting anything there. That's my "everything hunting spot. I'll have a look at the location you suggested though as I didn't consider that angle.

Here's my setup at the moment. There are some great tower locations the game provides as well shown here that I'm very fond of.

Return to “Fan Sites, Screenshots, Media & Art”