Give us back Grizzly Bears as before, please

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Sherab86
Hunter

Re: Give us back Grizzly Bears as before, please

Post by Sherab86 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
gas56 wrote:I've got a great idea,.. lets make this game into a real simulator,...
where hunting animals takes a lot of real time and real hunter experience,.. and you put your abilities one on one with the animal you're after.
and see how well everybody does with that, one or two animals in a week maybe?
I mean you guys do really want it as close to real life hunting as it can get don't you?
Or are you all forgetting this is a game only?
What's the point of a game when you can't shoot a few animals within a couple hours?
Simple.....No Fun!
By the way I had a great hunt last night! I played on the old map of WHI,....
now that was fun and a lot of shooting......................:lol:
WT & BT deer, Roosevelt Elk, Turkeys, Coyotes...........and they were all shoot-able!
I still didn't get no big trophies or rares though........... :)
I don't necessarily want a true to life simulation. You and I both know that wouldn't fly to well :lol:
I'm just thinking that having it somewhat accurate is ok. In this case, bears fleeing. I use the word realistic very loosely when I say that them fleeing would be more realistic then them just standing there every time you run up to 40 yards and then coming after you.
If it comes to me, well, I wouldn't mind such simulator. But I think this is not possible technically (to simulate all the skills needed, all the details in the environment one can use and so on). And for sure this would have to be a completely new title (with would never be developed becauce only person playing it would be me ;) ), because I wouldn't want to make something like this with the Classic.

Of course I'm aware this is a game. And there are some limits to realism. I think that good game (set in real world's "universum") is "made" from realism, playability and immersion. Those three need to be carrefully balanced. In case of simulation type games, I think immersion and realism can be see as one feature, to much extend. So in this case this about a balancing between realism/immersion and playability. I guess this still quite personal matter for every player when there is too much of realism, hindering their's gameplay experience, and when game's become too "arcadish", killing the realism and immersion.

For me simply, bears as they were before, fits to this "too arcadish" variant. While as they are now, probably (for me personally only) is quite close to balance point between realism and playability.

I can understand, that not everyone is happy. I simply do not belong to those players.
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

gas56 wrote:I haven't tried them since they ran like rabbits...........
I hope they're worthy enough to put a bullet right between their eyes with my .454 handgun.......... :)
The .454 by now is totally useless with Grizzly Bears. There need the 12x50 scope, in this way I harvested 5 grizzlies over 200 mt. With my .454 I have not fired a shot at a Grizzliy for more than two months, and to think I bought it especially for the Grizzlies :roll:
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

I Quote by another topic, I think there is little to add about the situation with the bears. There was apparently not playtested by devs.
Prinz1989 wrote:
HooCairs wrote:I tried. I really really tried. I thought we have two "new" animals now and wanted to show what it takes to hunt them. I made and then deleted a few hours of video footage trying to explain what was going on. I struggled, no I totally failed. Not one bear shot. Now I am aware there are a lot of skilled players around that will deal with this easier, but for me as the average player the frustration outweighs the patience by far. I hope you all have completed the mission where you need to shoot a charging grizzly. Now let's just move on.

Thanks again Hoo. I don't believe these changes are playtested at all.
If any dev would sit down and look how long it would take him to kill 10 Grizzlies and through what emotions he goes while getting those 10 bears things wouldn't be like they are.

They added two animals with Piccabeen, [as Rusa und Sambar are quite difficult to get (The Rusa have a lure, but they call so rarely that you are almost never aware that they are close)] and pretty much removed two bear species in the process.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

I did a couple of hunts on Whiterime. The first I only hunted for a short time because I kept getting called away, but on the second I hunted steadily for about an hour and a half. I bagged 3 polar bears, all at fairly long distances. I tracked two of them for a long way without ever getting close enough to see or provoke them. I finally killed them both by sniping them in open areas. I killed 10 animals in 1.5 hrs. and walked 6.7 km. I could have bagged a few more hares and foxes along the way but I just let them go.

Not bad. NOT boring. Challenging, realistic, and rewarding. Overall I was testing and tracking the bears more than anything, but it was a nice change from Piccabeen, where I can easily run around and slaughter 15-20 animals in 1.5 hours.

I realize this is what the devs must constantly deal with and decide every single day: where do they draw the gaming line between simulator and arcade? Tough question. The trouble with these bear changes is... they left it WAY TOO LONG. Maybe if they could tweak them just a little bit more they could make them more fun for everyone... but I still think they're better now than before.
strandjutter
Scout

Post by strandjutter »

I tried to help a friend on Grizzly mission "face to face".
After the update that fixed the bears I finally found a Charging Grizly. It came running/charging at me from 30 mtrs. Shot it with the .454 handgun , dropped it on the spot. ........ it didn't count for the mission because it seemed to be in "idle" state when i shot it. But i never seen it stop while it was charging me ?
I sure hope this isn't the next BUG !

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

strandjutter wrote:I tried to help a friend on Grizzly mission "face to face".
After the update that fixed the bears I finally found a Charging Grizly. It came running/charging at me from 30 mtrs. Shot it with the .454 handgun , dropped it on the spot. ........ it didn't count for the mission because it seemed to be in "idle" state when i shot it. But i never seen it stop while it was charging me ?
I sure hope this isn't the next BUG !
If a bear rears up during the charging phase, shooting it at that point will result in the animal state being idle. If you happen to shoot it just as it's state changes from charging to roaming that might also cause this. I've shot at some idle animals before that have shown as fleeing on the scoresheet, because I pulled the trigger just as the state changed.
HawkEye81
Tracker

Post by HawkEye81 »

JimboCrow, i agree with you on some points
I haven't tried polar bears after the last update but I assume that they must be way more easier than grizzlies to spot and see them in an open spot for long range shooting, to do this in TGT with grizzlies it's much harder... and what about short range, do we have to say goodbye to any bow/crossbow hunting them? I saw grizzly spook over 60-70m or even more.

Long range might be the way for polar bears but I don't think it will be so challenging and rewarding for grizzlies, WR especially on the polar bear areas is not so populated with to many other animals, and even there are some, long range shooting is ok as long you can see what you spook and where they run so you can track them after, but you can't do that in TGT, it's way more populated with animals in one area, it's one of the best maps for silent bow hunting and shooting a gun in case you're lucky enough to get a grizzly in an open area will spook to many animals that you don't even know were there.I don't think to many players would prefer to spook everything around just to get that one grizzly...

Strandjutter - exactly the same happened to me, from 9 bears I was lucky enough for one to charge me but it seems that when they charge after 20-30m running towards you they stop and try to run away, I shoot mine at 20m and it didn't count for the mission, it said that animal state was idle.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

JimboCrow wrote: I hunted steadily for about an hour and a half. I bagged 3 polar bears, all at fairly long distances. I tracked two of them for a long way without ever getting close enough to see or provoke them. I finally killed them both by sniping them in open areas.
So thats 3 bears in 90min or 2 bears in 60min.
For the 1000Polar bear achievement that would be 500hrs or about 63 8h shifts. The same to max out polar bear rank. Never to mention the much more frustrating missions.
So no matter what motivates you achievements, ranks, missions doesn't matter the polar bears are effectivly eliminated from the game by this.

Isn't it stupid to have achievements that are almost unachievable?
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

JimboCrow wrote:Not bad. NOT boring. Challenging, realistic, and rewarding. Overall I was testing and tracking the bears more than anything, but it was a nice change from Piccabeen, where I can easily run around and slaughter 15-20 animals in 1.5 hours.
Arcade or not arcade, this is the problem... :mrgreen:
It wasn't arcade before, it's not arcade now.
Boring not boring, it's pure matter of taste, personal taste. I find it very boring now and Grizzlies very, very scared much more than rabbits and deers and absolutely not realistic. I'm not kidding. There is a problem with AI, obviously.
I hope it will be fixed soon. Or recalibrated at least. Everyone wants to hunt in game according to its style and fun. There's who prefer to crawl and stealth all the time and who run and gun face to face with the bear, all the time, or a mix of two. But this had nothing to do with hunting Grizzly, 'cause there's an AI issue. I today hunted in WRR and I bagged two PB one of which at close range, while it was charging. Plus 3 charging bisons, so right now, I replaced Grizzlies with them :mrgreen: The true problem are the missed Grizzly Bears.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”