Storage of hunting statistics on player's computer for server downtimes.

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Sherab86
Hunter

Storage of hunting statistics on player's computer for server downtimes.

Post by Sherab86 »

I propose to implement into the game possibility to calculate and store hunt statistics on local disk (on player's computer) up to some time (debatable - I propose about 48 h). If there are no connection problems or server issues, data would be immediately send to the server and deleted from player's device just after the player would be finishing his/her hunting session.

But in case of sudden disconecction from the server, or in case of highly luggish server responses, hunting statistics would be stored on payer's machine and send to the server when possible - after reconecction, or next launcher launch. Meanwhile a player could continue his/her hunting session without interruptions.

I know this is double-edged sword, because some less honest players could try to use this feature to cheat. But wiht recent server malfunctions I think that such a feature would be most appreciated.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Storage of hunting statistics on player's computer for server downtimes.

Post by caledonianblues »

Sherab86 wrote:I know this is double-edged sword, because some less honest players could try to use this feature to cheat. But wiht recent server malfunctions I think that such a feature would be most appreciated.
Variations of this have been suggested in the past, and whilst it would be convenient when there are backend server issues, your comments above are why it just wouldn't be feasible. Players would be able to modify the data prior to it syncing with the backend servers. Then there's the impact it would have on competitions. Bear in mind this failover solution would in some cases kick in if the player experiences connectivity issues (even if the servers are fine).

Plus, it would require a bit of work on the client. The solution is to spend that time fixing whatever is causing the server issues, in my opinion. We seem to have been really unlucky lately. It has been a long time since there were server issues like this. Hopefully Luna will get to the bottom of it.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yes, I'm aware of the risk. Still, I'm "afraid" of starting the game right now, because I'll never know when problems may occur. With past issues devs team seemed to be certain they solved the problem. But it comes back us boomerang. So this feature would give that extra feel of safety.

But yeah, I understand your concerns. I suppose there could be additional protective features - like hardcoding data, checking for competition/missions active and so on. But this would require massive work to implement one feature. So again, I understand. I simply don't feel "safe" playing the game any more. :/ I realy wouldn't like to lost some "trophy" animal this way. :(
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

caledonianblues wrote: Variations of this have been suggested in the past, and whilst it would be convenient when there are backend server issues, your comments above are why it just wouldn't be feasible. Players would be able to modify the data prior to it syncing with the backend servers. Then there's the impact it would have on competitions. Bear in mind this failover solution would in some cases kick in if the player experiences connectivity issues (even if the servers are fine).
Simple solution: the "just let me hunt and give a frog about others" mode
A true single player mode that doesn't have global statistics.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Knut wrote:A true single player mode that doesn't have global statistics.
That would probably mean no comps, no missions, no leaderboard entries, no hunt statistics, no skill progression, maybe not even trophy shots and taxidermy? Finding that 400 roosevelt elk during an offline hunt? Bad luck, mate - no way to proof it!

I'm pretty sure that would not appeal to me, do you think it would to other players?
Image Image Image
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Knut wrote: Simple solution: the "just let me hunt and give a frog about others" mode
A true single player mode that doesn't have global statistics.

Yes, but from other hand for many being a part of community, competing and so on, all this is important part of the game. I can see this as some buckup solution - "oh, servers went down again? So I play a little bit in full single-player mode for a while". But this is simply not "that". ;) Being server based is also a feature with distinguish this title from COTW (among other things).
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
Knut wrote:A true single player mode that doesn't have global statistics.
That would probably mean no comps, no missions, no leaderboard entries, no hunt statistics, no skill progression, maybe not even trophy shots and taxidermy? Finding that 400 roosevelt elk during an offline hunt? Bad luck, mate - no way to proof it!

I'm pretty sure that would not appeal to me, do you think it would to other players?
I see the necessity for so much of the game features to run 'online' and that depends on the EW servers. I've been thinking a lot about an 'offline' version of the game and the way I feel about it has to do with more than just being bumped from a hunt. It's about owning the game that we pay good money for that we would have the ability to play it whenever we want indefinately even if the company dissapeared from existance we would still own a copy of the game we payed for...as it should be with any game. Now I know to do that may not mean scores can be kept track of or competitions etc....BUT I don't see why EW are have not created an alternate version (single player) that can be downloaded and played separatly from the 'online' version. And I know they are always expanding and adding to the game...so does Minecraft and many other games which players own a copy of the game they purchased and can download the latest versions if they want to. The way I feel about it is there should be (2) versions available. I don't see why a second 'offline' version of the game would or should lack any major features other than competitions etc.

And as far as 'features' go, I don't see why an 'offline' version of the game should lack anything other than competitions IF that alternative version operated separately from the 'online' version we play and compete in together???
Last edited by InvisibleFlame9 on November 30th, 2017, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

It might be important for some, some others -like me- couldn't care less.

I'd prefer an offline game. Simple as that.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Knut wrote:It might be important for some, some others -like me- couldn't care less.

I'd prefer an offline game. Simple as that.

Well, I do too, to be honest. And I have to admitt, that if not more arcadish gameplay, lack of TruRACK system, and my old PC, I would probably go rather for COTW. :P

But still, for Classic this "online" character of the game is important to many I believe.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:BUT I don't see why EW are have not created an alternate version (single player) that can be downloaded and played separatly from the 'online' version.
Because it makes zero financial sense for them to do it. Because people would just download it without having to pay any membership fees, hack it to bits, and that would be the end of Expansive Worlds' revenue stream. Why on earth would they do that? They would have to be insane. Not to mention the fact that the time and cost involved in making a standalone version of the game would effectively be for nothing once it got out there and people cracked it. There are so many reasons why an offline version of the game has never been created, and almost certainly never will. The most obvious reason being that this is an online game, simple as that. The entire foundation of the game is its online nature. Leaderboards, competitions, missions, multiplayer, holiday events, etc. The client is so deeply entwined with the backend that separating them would be a mammoth task. I realise some people have no interest in these things and would be quite happy to shoot an animal, get a score, and that would be the end of it. I suspect however that the majority of players would quickly grow bored of the game if this was how it worked.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”