Bullet Penetration Values Downgraded Recently?

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Bullet Penetration Values Downgraded Recently?

Post by Dubitabilus »

I may have just been having a bad week but has anyone else been experiencing issues with bullet penetration?

I've been taking similar shots that I made before but noticed on the harvest/score sheets that a larger percentage of my kills are just body shots. I primarily use the .30-30 or .308 for medium game and usually take my shots within 40m-90m, so I know the optimal ranges for the game I'm taking.

The following 3 kills bothered me since they were all less than 60m but still no penetration into organs: For the mule, I was going through the chuck/brisket since it was quartering towards me so that is most likely the reason. Oddly, it died from the body shot. For the hog and whitetail, both were broadside shots, yet not even a single-lung penetration occurred. Similar to the mule, the whitetail died from the body shot. The hog on the other hand had to be taken down with another shot, this time registering as a double-lung from a shot 17m further than the first hit. Go figure?

Has anyone else had issues like this, or am I making a deal out of nothing?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and Happy Holiday Hunting!
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Re: Bullet Penetration Values Downgraded Recently?

Post by JackRbbt »

Most likely, you have to improve your aim. Look at the pig: first shot, from 43 meters - body shot, second shot, from 59 meters - both lungs. If would have been any problem with penetration, the second shot should have been also "body". Beside that, you're talking about .30-30 and .308, two of the weakest rifles, from mid-range calibers.
Spoiler:

Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Both rifles are powerful enough for what you're trying to shoot. Adjust your aim and you should be fine.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

I have to say the .308 has been for me the most disapointing gun I have bought thusfar in theHunter, weak as a worm.....I don't have the 30.30 but in no hurry to buy it by the sound of things. The R30 suits me just fine :D
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Schlachtwolf wrote:I have to say the .308 has been for me the most disapointing gun I have bought thusfar in theHunter, weak as a worm.
Good aim goes a long way. My stats, 2,003 kills with the .308, mostly hogs on Bushrangers Run at 150m+:

Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Well, in my first days of playing i bought .308 Anschutz rifle (because of design, to be honest!). And used it everyday, until 9.3x62 Anschutz was released. One of my dearest memories from this game is a 215 meters clean heartshot on a moose, with it (well, after 3 weeks of playing, that seemed to be a huge accomplishment). Even so, i don't cherish very much the power of .308, compared to other rifles from same class, hence my previous comment.
Spoiler:

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”