gm worth having

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
User avatar
dools24
Tracker
Posts: 161
Joined: August 30th, 2016, 3:45 am
Location: AUS

Re: gm worth having

Postby dools24 » November 8th, 2017, 10:16 am

caledonianblues wrote:
dools24 wrote:was making a point as for member ship how many days did the game work for out of the year not talking about little bugs

365. The bug you were referring to didn't make the game unplayable. It was a bug that affected bears. An annoying one, I agree, but not a game-breaking one. Or are you referring to a different bug that made the game completely unplayable?


This is what EW says alot it was unplayable at that time and it was not just bears it affected all aniamals! if you dont remember, thats why the last of the players i played with left and are the baits working or broken last time had bears at baits that ment they where not working as intended then it was more relistic then broken they havnt been changed in all that time besides the bug but EWs few has changed alot of do i just shut up and enjoy while there bear there i would see that as being lied too about what was really going on with the game thank you
Image
User avatar
caledonianblues
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8490
Joined: September 27th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: gm worth having

Postby caledonianblues » November 8th, 2017, 10:26 am

dools24 wrote:This is what EW says alot it was unplayable at that time and it was not just bears it affected all aniamals! if you dont remember, thats why the last of the players i played with left and are the baits working or broken last time had bears at baits that ment they where not working as intended then it was more relistic then broken they havnt been changed in all that time besides the bug but EWs few has changed alot of do i just shut up and enjoy while there bear there i would see that as being lied too about what was really going on with the game thank you

I can't make any sense of your post. You claim the bear roaming bug made the game unplayable. I disagree. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about baiting because I can't understand what you've written.
UHC Apps | UHC Stats | My PC Specs
Host your own competition, or get your geek on with stats.
User avatar
Hawkeye
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3568
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Location: Springdale, AR

Re: gm worth having

Postby Hawkeye » November 9th, 2017, 1:15 pm

dools24 wrote:This is what EW says alot it was unplayable at that time and it was not just bears it affected all aniamals! if you dont remember, thats why the last of the players i played with left and are the baits working or broken last time had bears at baits that ment they where not working as intended then it was more relistic then broken they havnt been changed in all that time besides the bug but EWs few has changed alot of do i just shut up and enjoy while there bear there i would see that as being lied too about what was really going on with the game thank you


I'm not sure I understand why that bug made the game unplayable. I get that when you were affected by the bug, it was annoying, but how common was it really? I took a fair amount of animals while that bug was active, and I can't say that I ever personally experienced it. Had it not been for reading the Forums, I wouldn't have known it existed. Maybe a difference in play styles reduced my chances of seeing it.

At any rate, I certainly never saw EW claim it was "unplayable". Why would they? As for bear baiting, the entire system was revamped since the issue you're referring to. Whether you agreed with the old mechanics or not, they're no longer in play. It wouldn't have made sense for EW to make wholesale changes to the baiting system knowing that their complete revamp was just around the corner.
User avatar
PiotrV
Spotter
Posts: 96
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 3:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: gm worth having

Postby PiotrV » November 15th, 2017, 4:48 am

caledonianblues wrote:What you're effectively asking for is for Expansive Worlds to allow you to buy everything in the store with currency that they give you just for playing the game. In other words, make everything completely free.



Incorrect. You ignore the membership fee, that op doesn't mention at all and as we now is pretty much required to enjoy the game fully.


caledonianblues wrote:
Why would they do this? The company doesn't make money just because people are playing the game. Quite the opposite, it gets big fat invoices from Google for the infrastructure costs and from CloudFlare for the CDN costs. How do you propose those invoices are paid if everything in the store is free? The game is too niche for memberships to cover those costs, especially with the F2P offering already being too generous.


First of all the company actually makes money just because people ar playing the game, it's a whole other issue if it's enough or not. F2P offer being too genorous is just an opinion, and not a very popular one if you read any reviews of theHunter.

caledonianblues wrote:What about the salaries? The studio is based in one of the most expensive capital cities in the world. Salaries have to reflect that. The developers have to be paid. Imagine the costs involved in creating a new weapon. The 3D model, the 2D artwork, animation, sounds, integration, testing etc. How could the company possibly sustain itself if all that work was written off by putting that new gun in store, available to buy with gm$?


Just like F2P games make money? By offering a shortcut if you pay with real currency? Not everyone will want to grind gm$ for hours just to buy a new gun.

caledonianblues wrote:I apologise if my response is a bit curt, but please go back and read your suggestion and ask yourself why any company in their right mind would do this. I've read arguments in the past that it would bring more users to the game. Yep, it probably would. More users that love the fact everything is free. Which means even larger invoices at the end of the month.

What you're asking for is a company to operate for free to provide you with entertainment. The only way everything in the store will ever become purchasable with gm$ is if the membership costs go up and the F2P option gets dropped. And trust me, if that happened, your next suggestion would be to reduce the membership costs because they would have to be pretty steep.


Frankly, I'd like to introduce you to plenty of F2P games that are doing great and are making real profits. Their developers came up with plenty of ideas how to make money even if patient players can play for free, while slowly obtaining every item in the game. It's not healthy to assume that theHunter's current business model is the only viable one.
On top of that a fresh influx of players could improve the game in the long run. OP made a reasonable suggestion, as many others before, and was attacked (as others before...). His idea is purely theoritical and very unlikely, based on developement of theHunter in the past years, but still valid.
User avatar
caledonianblues
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8490
Joined: September 27th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: gm worth having

Postby caledonianblues » November 15th, 2017, 8:49 am

PiotrV wrote:First of all the company actually makes money just because people ar playing the game, it's a whole other issue if it's enough or not.

No, the company makes money when people pay money for memberships and/or store items. By your logic the company would still make money if everyone chose not to renew their memberships but continued to play the game as a guest using only gm$ to purchase items. A game session consumes infrastructure resources and translates into costs, and if that player has never invested any money in the game, then those costs are being covered by the investment made by others. I have absolutely nothing against people who choose not to invest money in the game. We all have our own budgets and our own priorities in life, and this game can get expensive. I've also played some F2P games in my life too. But the fact remains, this game would not be around if not for the people who invest real money. Where else would the revenue come from to pay the infrastructure costs and salaries? How can someone just playing the game generate income for Expansive Worlds? Where does it come from? There's no advertising revenue. Am I missing something?

PiotrV wrote:Just like F2P games make money? By offering a shortcut if you pay with real currency? Not everyone will want to grind gm$ for hours just to buy a new gun.

Ah so what you're saying is offer an option so players can pay if they want things faster. In other words, offer the game for free, but give people the option to spend money if they feel generous or impatient. That model might work for some F2P games, but I can assure you, it wouldn't work for this one. I think the guest option in this game is designed to give people a taste of the game so they can make an informed decision about whether it's something they want to invest in. It serves that purpose, and I believe it's a generous option.

PiotrV wrote:Frankly, I'd like to introduce you to plenty of F2P games that are doing great and are making real profits. Their developers came up with plenty of ideas how to make money even if patient players can play for free, while slowly obtaining every item in the game.

I'm not disputing that this model works for some F2P games. I know it does, and I know there are some studios that make healthy profits from this approach, and I applaud them. What I'm saying is it wouldn't work for this game.

PiotrV wrote:It's not healthy to assume that theHunter's current business model is the only viable one.

I'm not assuming that, but in my 5 years on this forum nobody has come up with a solution that Expansive Worlds has adopted, so my only assumption is that the current business model works just fine for them. I realise that might not suit you or others, but that's the point where you have to make a decision and decide what your priorities are. The business seems to be doing just fine. If it wasn't they would have done something about it by now.

PiotrV wrote:OP made a reasonable suggestion, as many others before, and was attacked (as others before...).

In your opinion the OP made a reasonable suggestion. I interpreted the proposal as unreasonable, and one that hadn't been properly thought through, which is why I then present valid arguments and reasons why the proposed idea wouldn't work. If you feel I attacked the OP you should report my post.
UHC Apps | UHC Stats | My PC Specs
Host your own competition, or get your geek on with stats.
User avatar
TheSheWolf
Scout
Posts: 451
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: gm worth having

Postby TheSheWolf » November 15th, 2017, 3:10 pm

PiotrV makes some points. The cost does drive some players away. You do just need to google "TheHunter too expensive" to see that. I don't think there's anything wrong with some discussion on better alternatives, and there does seem to be a lot of defensiveness and hostility--too much--whenever it's brought up. It'd be nice to draw in new players, tbh--and new players are lifeblood and bait-on-a-hook for even more.

I've said elsewhere what I think the pay model should be like--certainly not just "free." This game is niche and wouldn't support that. But there are options! :)
User avatar
DHRifleman
Team Hunter
Posts: 10468
Joined: December 3rd, 2008, 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: gm worth having

Postby DHRifleman » November 15th, 2017, 11:03 pm

PiotrV wrote:First of all the company actually makes money just because people ar playing the game, it's a whole other issue if it's enough or not. F2P offer being too genorous is just an opinion, and not a very popular one if you read any reviews of theHunter.

And how do they make money having people just play the game? There are no google ads, or any others that pay them for free players playing. EW gets it's money directly from those players that actually pay, and no one else.

No non-paying player has any positive impact on the players that pay for the game, quite the opposite.

Every non-paying player is playing at the expense of those that are paying, and why those that are paying tend to take a strong view against adding more ways for people to play for free since they are the ones footing the bill.
I like to have the choice as to what charities I contribute too, and this doesn't happen to be one of them since it is a luxury, not a necessity.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
User avatar
Mahina
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: June 25th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Re: gm worth having

Postby Mahina » December 3rd, 2017, 4:35 pm

I"ll give you bugs that do make the game unplayable - whenever me and my husband play multiplayer we manage to break the game. Today it was arrowing a dall sheep on the cliff. Thing magically comes back to life (or there was a second one and the first was just inaccessible for harvesting due to terrain), and I shoot her through the chest with an arrow. THing blinks at me and walks up to me. I put in a second arrow (since she never spooks) and then was able to harvest her. Hubby's domes all become untrackable. Forced to exit out as me shooting a female dall sheep literally stopped his huntermate from working. We still have floating animals, unharvestable animals, and calls not working properly on multiplayer. And now you are charging for loadouts? Why not fix the bugs that have plagued this game from the beginning, instead of nickeling and diming your fan base for all we are worth? Anyone who says that this company cares for its users has never attempted to play Primal in its current state (or any state really). Or go the way of Battlefront, that works too which will be a pity since I don't mind supporting theHunter. I do however resent the increase in costs while the game bugs steadily increase.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], strandjutter and 1 guest