Overhaul Of trophy's

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Overhaul Of trophy's

Post by Hawkeye »

HRMarvin wrote:everyone has missed point here
if there were Trophy's like this it would be better
I think everybody understands the point. The point that THEY are trying to make is that the trophies have just recently been remodeled, so it is very highly unlikely that they will be remodeled again. When they went through the remodeling process, they commented that it's not feasible at the moment to make a different trophy for each species. Had it been feasible, it would have been done when they made that pass at it. Any time you dedicate resources to a project such as this that generates zero revenue, it has to be very carefully considered.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

I will admit the original trophies were much nicer and we had quite a variety of different ones. We also had only a few reserves, animals, and a limited amount of comps.

The problem isn't creating the actual trophies, I am sure the artists could whip them out pretty fast. The issue is every comp code would have to be written differently to award the different trophies, not only adding a lot of work to change all the existing comps, but also adding the chance for errors breaking them. All for no monetary return.

Would I like all individualized trophies? certainly. Would I undertake it if I was EW? definitely not.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I don't know a super amount about programming but I would say there is a line or 50 that just says "award X player x trophy" they would just have to modify a small part of the code for when a trophy is won. I don't think it would break anything?? But like I say I have a super limited knowledge on the subject. But yeah can't see them in game, nobody looks... not worth stressing about really.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

DHRifleman wrote:I will admit the original trophies were much nicer and we had quite a variety of different ones. We also had only a few reserves, animals, and a limited amount of comps.

The problem isn't creating the actual trophies, I am sure the artists could whip them out pretty fast. The issue is every comp code would have to be written differently to award the different trophies, not only adding a lot of work to change all the existing comps, but also adding the chance for errors breaking them. All for no monetary return.

Would I like all individualized trophies? certainly. Would I undertake it if I was EW? definitely not.
I get that the actual modeling job probably isn't the limiting factor. My point was that if, during that process, they didn't remodel multiple models, then there is a reason for that. I'm not sure they ever really shared it with the community.

The original trophies still exist as it was only the coins updated to the new multispecies trophy. Some examples of different trophies would be Holey Cow, Top Turkey, Elk Sharpshooter, Drumstick's Shotgun Shoot, Whole Lotta Turkey, King of the Whitetail, etc.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

TreeKiwi wrote:I don't know a super amount about programming but I would say there is a line or 50 that just says "award X player x trophy" they would just have to modify a small part of the code for when a trophy is won. I don't think it would break anything?? But like I say I have a super limited knowledge on the subject. But yeah can't see them in game, nobody looks... not worth stressing about really.

Edit they probably don't even need to do this. Just change the source files to the new trophies I guess...
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

You know how many times I have asked to even just USE existing trophies. See here all the nice trophies available, most are not used anymore:
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Trophy_Gallery

I was emotionally more attached to a trophy like the one below in the past. Now it is just yet another generic one. Every event has a set of nice trophies, but they don't want to do some for new animals.

This for example is a trophy that they made for a one time event:

Add a gold, silver and bronze plate below and hand it out for ibex comps. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Djehmli
Tracker

Post by Djehmli »

I would like to see more variety in the trophies. In fact as a new player, looking at some of the 'old timers' profiles I thought there WAS more variety in the trophies, not understanding at first they were 'old' versus 'new'.

Competitions are a marketing strategy to pull users into purchasing the game above other hunting game flavors. It's part of the current advertising, and while you cannot display your trophies 'in game' they are visible on your profile and another way to 'flex muscle' as it were. And whose to say they couldn't potentially be displayed in game? In the actual tophy lodges in fact. Mount a competion winning critter in the lodge, and upon the right click/ mouse over of the critter data see the date, ranking and competion won with the trophy Icon, or even better yet, a shelf appears below the mount which displays the trophy.

You have to be forward thinking, you cannot use the 'just because' something didn't happen in the past, especially in game development.

My real job is in software development, and there has been many a time where I have told a customer I didn't have the resources for a requested enhancement, yet six or eight months later was able to provide said enhancement. It may have been as simple as an old employee leaving the company and a new one joining with an expanded skill set that allowed the enhancement. Or developing a new in house tool that suddenly expanded our abilities else where.

Maybe a Trophy over haul cannot happen in the near future, but there is no harm in gathering the data necessary (i.e. who would be for a change) in the present.

Many of the response here are not yes they would like to see them or no they would not. Instead they are 'past = already over hauled once = no', so a future overhaul with unique must also = no'. That is a shame.
Spoiler:

hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

HooCairs wrote:You know how many times I have asked to even just USE existing trophies. See here all the nice trophies available, most are not used anymore:

I was emotionally more attached to a trophy like the one below in the past. Now it is just yet another generic one. Every event has a set of nice trophies, but they don't want to do some for new animals.

amen to that hoo.

so many animals have trophies already made that can be used.

i was lucky enough to be able to grap that whitetail trophy while still in use, and its still my favorite. back when the trophies actually represented what comp you placed in.
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

hunterPRO1 wrote:
HooCairs wrote:You know how many times I have asked to even just USE existing trophies. See here all the nice trophies available, most are not used anymore:

amen to that hoo.

so many animals have trophies already made that can be used.

i was lucky enough to be able to grap that whitetail trophy while still in use, and its still my favorite. back when the trophies actually represented what comp you placed in.
As I stated earlier, that King of the Whitetail trophy is still the same. They ONLY replaced the coins with the new Multispecies trophy. Take a look at this guy who won the most recent KoTW competition on 8/20. ALL of the trophies that previously had unique designs still have them.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

TreeKiwi wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:I don't know a super amount about programming but I would say there is a line or 50 that just says "award X player x trophy" they would just have to modify a small part of the code for when a trophy is won. I don't think it would break anything?? But like I say I have a super limited knowledge on the subject. But yeah can't see them in game, nobody looks... not worth stressing about really.

Edit they probably don't even need to do this. Just change the source files to the new trophies I guess...
And I am sure that is pretty much what they did for the trophies that replaced the coins. Now to make all the existing comps have individual trophies the code needs to be changed to not only give the trophies name but also where it can be found. One typo in any of that and the trophy doesn't get displayed and it is broken.
We will have 40 animals shortly, and each will have several comps. Some will be weapon specific, some will be shot placement specific, and some will just be generic for the animal. So at a safe guess there would need to be a minimum of 120+ individual trophies X 3 levels becomes 360+ total. Each comp will need the winners to have the code say give them x trophy, and find it here. Now every new comp created will need all that added as well.

I'm sure it was changed to 3 generic trophies (coins) gold, silver, and bronze so that part of the code never has to be written for any new comps, just copy and paste what all the others have. Very simple and less chance for errors. I am sure the old ones that are still in use are there because they didn't want to change all the existing code to match. Any of the ones we lost are probably due to the comp actually changing due to weapons permissions changing.

It saves resources and cost for something that is not only not salable, it is also awarding em$.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”