Selling Equipment

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
grallocher

Selling Equipment

Post by grallocher »

isn't it a good idea to be able to sell used equipment and weapons to gain EMS. I have six of some things which I'll never use.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Selling Equipment

Post by Fletchette »

No......I bet you've never even cleaned your guns.
Personal Bests...
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

This has been proposed numerous times and most people think that it's never going to happen because EW would lose a lot of money. You could buy things on sale or in a temporary bundle and later sell them with a profit for example. Or you could just buy a weapon to try it or to finish a mission with it and sell it later if you don't like it or don't need it anymore. Of course it would be good for players, but not so good for EW business wise. I don't think we'll ever see this.
Image Image Image
Zaitzev82
Spotter

Post by Zaitzev82 »

How would EW lose "a lot of money" on this? If anything, it would keep the market going.

For one thing, there could be a dedicated marketplace for used items. The value of the item could be determined either by a fixed discount, or if a "wear and tear" system was implemented, an item value could be determined by how much it has been used in the field. EW could charge a percentage of the sale (the em$ difference is what they get), and both the seller and buyer gets something out of it.

Sure, it's better for EW to drive a hard line and sell everything as is now, but I can also see from MY perspective that I'm often deterred from buying new, especially bundles, because I already own one or more items. Same thing with weapons with different skins: I wouldn't mind swapping them out, but I'm not going to spend money on the new weapon because I already own one identical in specs. Now, if I could get rid of the one I own, and then buy the new weapon, I can't see how EW is in any way going to lose on this?
piomarvado
Scout

Post by piomarvado »

Zaitzev82 wrote:How would EW lose "a lot of money" on this? If anything, it would keep the market going.

For one thing, there could be a dedicated marketplace for used items. The value of the item could be determined either by a fixed discount, or if a "wear and tear" system was implemented, an item value could be determined by how much it has been used in the field. EW could charge a percentage of the sale (the em$ difference is what they get), and both the seller and buyer gets something out of it.

Sure, it's better for EW to drive a hard line and sell everything as is now, but I can also see from MY perspective that I'm often deterred from buying new, especially bundles, because I already own one or more items. Same thing with weapons with different skins: I wouldn't mind swapping them out, but I'm not going to spend money on the new weapon because I already own one identical in specs. Now, if I could get rid of the one I own, and then buy the new weapon, I can't see how EW is in any way going to lose on this?
I agree.

What madman would do that? Buy a gun, do a mission, then sell for a lower price? What profit would the player have?
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Zaitzev82 wrote:How would EW lose "a lot of money" on this? If anything, it would keep the market going.

They could accomplish the same thing much simpler by offering a discount on subsequent weapons in the same weapon group.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

piomarvado wrote:What madman would do that? Buy a gun, do a mission, then sell for a lower price? What profit would the player have?
Don't forget that we have people that bought reskins just to have a higher HS (there's a little thread about it ;) ), so why shouldn't someone buy weapons just to finish a mission? For me, missions are much more motivating than HS for example - and I surely bought some guns just to get missions done. If you were able to sell them to someone else - even at a discounted price - that's money that EW loses if otherwise both players would've bought the weapon from EW directly.

Anyway, I don't want to convince you, I just wanted to say that the topic has been discussed a lot of times already and even though there hasn't been an official reply from EW yet (afaik) you shouldn't expect it to happen.
Image Image Image
piomarvado
Scout

Post by piomarvado »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
piomarvado wrote:What madman would do that? Buy a gun, do a mission, then sell for a lower price? What profit would the player have?
Don't forget that we have people that bought reskins just to have a higher HS (there's a little thread about it ;) ), so why shouldn't someone buy weapons just to finish a mission? For me, missions are much more motivating than HS for example - and I surely bought some guns just to get missions done. If you were able to sell them to someone else - even at a discounted price - that's money that EW loses if otherwise both players would've bought the weapon from EW directly.

Anyway, I don't want to convince you, I just wanted to say that the topic has been discussed a lot of times already and even though there hasn't been an official reply from EW yet (afaik) you shouldn't expect it to happen.
I understand this Tann, but you will not sell to another player. You will sell EW at a discount, and will buy from EW an item that you do not have. I believe we are talking about the items that come when you renew your membership, not items you buy and then repent
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

piomarvado wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:

I understand this Tann, but you will not sell to another player. You will sell EW at a discount, and will buy from EW an item that you do not have. I believe we are talking about the items that come when you renew your membership, not items you buy and then repent
All item you get with standard membership renewal are free items. They are the same ones the guest player gets, so you are not paying for them. A discounted rate of 0 is still 0.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

No matter how you try to spin this idea, it doesn't benefit EW's bottom line in any way. If a player buys 5000 em$ and buys a bunch of equipment, uses it for a while, sells it back for around 4000 em$ to buy different equipment, uses that equipment for a while, then sells it back for 3000 em$, and continues to do so, at the end of the day, that player is still getting the benefit of using all of this different equipment on their original purchase of 5000 em$. I can't imagine them spending development time & resources to develop a system that directly hits their bottom line.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”