The Hunter and VR

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Leadfan
Tracker

Re: The Hunter and VR

Post by Leadfan »

Yansko wrote:OMG... :o

I have succeeded to launch The Hunter with my HTC Vive.
I use the 3D driver for that work "Vorpx"
it's a first try at this time.
- can't change FOV to 120, and when i go to the 2D Huntermap, game crash
i'm in low quality in 1024x768 for maintain my FPS to...90 (divide by 2 in VR)

- I can move, head tracking work, use weapons, binoculars, ect

I need a better CG (R9 280X -> GTX 1080)
It seems you are the first one who have used theHunter in VR. How does it look like? I have read that high detail games still dont look good because of the low resolution. I guess that will be the main problem for this game at least where you have to scan the horizon for far away animals and as I read lots of reviews distant objects can't be defined and are pixelated. I think we need much higher resolution than CV1 for theHunter.
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

VR (at least HTC Vive) in this game would be ideal for waterfowl. It would keep you basically stationary in the blind, and your dog could retrieve birds for you, thereby avoiding physical movement limitations in the real world. Otherwise you'd need to use teleportation, which would break the gameplay severely. Tree stand/tripod/ground blind hunting would work too, except you run into the problem of retrieving carcasses.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

Leadfan wrote: It seems you are the first one who have used theHunter in VR. How does it look like? I have read that high detail games still dont look good because of the low resolution. I guess that will be the main problem for this game at least where you have to scan the horizon for far away animals and as I read lots of reviews distant objects can't be defined and are pixelated. I think we need much higher resolution than CV1 for theHunter.
It's low quality and low res for testing (indeed 1024x768)
But i have launched another game Portal 2 in 1600x1200 and it was correct for this game type
With more optimisation and setting, (and a better Graphic card for VR for sure),I could increase resolution.

I don't know yet if it will be enough for hunting. Surely enough to shoot a bison ;)
But in VR headset , is not really pixelated, but it's sort of blurring onto far object by the Fresnel lens. All objects near of you is very sharp.
i have to try a hunt with a rifle scope now.
TundraPuppy wrote:VR (at least HTC Vive) in this game would be ideal for waterfowl. It would keep you basically stationary in the blind, and your dog could retrieve birds for you, thereby avoiding physical movement limitations in the real world. Otherwise you'd need to use teleportation, which would break the gameplay severely. Tree stand/tripod/ground blind hunting would work too, except you run into the problem of retrieving carcasses.
Physical movement limitations is not a problem if you play on chair mode.
And there are no roomscale mode/teleportation because VR (and HTC Vive) are not officially implemented by Expansive Worlds.
But play TheHunter is already perfect to play on a chair with keyboard/mouse or a gamepad. like i have already say before here : http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 91#p785627

If EA implement roomscale, teleportation is not the only one mode to move your player in a game
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

Yansko wrote:
TundraPuppy wrote:VR (at least HTC Vive) in this game would be ideal for waterfowl. It would keep you basically stationary in the blind, and your dog could retrieve birds for you, thereby avoiding physical movement limitations in the real world. Otherwise you'd need to use teleportation, which would break the gameplay severely. Tree stand/tripod/ground blind hunting would work too, except you run into the problem of retrieving carcasses.
Physical movement limitations is not a problem if you play on chair mode.
And there are no roomscale mode/teleportation because VR (and HTC Vive) are not officially implemented by Expansive Worlds.
But play TheHunter is already perfect to play on a chair with keyboard/mouse or a gamepad. like i have already say before here : http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 91#p785627

If EA implement roomscale, teleportation is not the only one mode to move your player in a game
Right but (for me at least) one of the whole points in VR is to use as natural controls as possible which is not keyboard + mouse. It -feels- better to be moving your hands, raising and lowering them, etc, or your body posture, than to be locked in one place effectively doing exactly what you are now, just with a headset on. Raising my arms to follow ducks across the sky while holding my arms in the position of a shotgun is what's going to really make VR seem 'real' - not just sitting in a chair using mouse/keyboard. This is all IMO.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

Oh, I'd love to have the roomscale in theHunter and move freely. Maybe even use gizmo print 3D to simulate held a weapon with the controllers to follow ducks across the sky... :P
But for the moment... :|

PS: I have kill my first specie in VR :D (and up a little my resolution to 1280x720...no crash)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

How well do the headtracking work?

How comfortable are you walking around normally? I realize you suffer from framerates and the low resolution so may be hard to say?
I am not that prone to motion sickness so not sure that is that big of an issue beside of course Roomscale is super cool. Not sure I am ready to walk 10 km and turn around every other step. Need to get some of the treadmills setups for that lol.

Not much for goose or tower hunting standing in one spot for 3h but yeah with roomscale you could do 1:1 though doubt it will make it all that fun. Probably rather play some remake of house of the dead ;)
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

The headtracking work perfect.
No problem this side. i cannot compare to an IR Tracker( i haven't) but, i see no complaint.

I continued to tests of screen resolution to 1600x1200 and anisotropy to x8, 89FPS, it's working too. In fact when i change quality to High, then TheHunter crash at launch.
i don't know yet if it's really my GC or just another bugs of the game.

But, after some hunts, i think i have seen what i think about VR and this game now.
It's perfectly does to play in VR with this game.

I don't have any motion sickness. I can hunting all species and walking around reserves.

In fact, only thing was missing is up field of view to 120° for best experience VR.
And that thing is only Expansive Worlds who can implement for VR players.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

What happens when you raise a weapon, especially non-scoped or a bow? With TrackIR it temporarily disables it so you can see where you are aiming, otherwise it keeps the front pin of the weapon on the animal and moves the back of the gun. That was how it was before they fixed it, and why there is a slight zoom on all non-scoped weapons as it is the trigger to turn off freelook/TrackIR
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

I made a test with weapons without scopes (Reverse Draw Crossbow / Recurve Bow / ParkerPython)
and I did not see any particular problem.

The only point to settle is the head tracking sensitivity which is superimposed on freelook mouse mode.
So, I tend to aim with mouse, but I against-aim with the natural movement of my head.

So better to aim with his "head" only, something very surprising ;)
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

So when you aim your head movement becomes body movement of the character (just like the mouse when not aiming), instead of your head movement being head movement of the character like when not aiming.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”