The Hunter and VR

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Re: This game needs to be a HTC VIVE GAME!

Post by DHRifleman »

Slyverse wrote:Theres gunna be so many full featured hunting games over the next 5 years in vr regardless
Just out of curiosity what makes you think that?
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Slyverse

Post by Slyverse »

Because VR is the perfect platform for such games. They have already created all the elements and they all work flawlessly. If you stood on the top of the mountains in the Lab with supersampling pumped up to 1.5% you would know that chasing a tahr goat in basically photo realism scenery would be among the greatest thing you have ever done with a electronic device.

They got many games now that pretty much let you pick up and operate any weapon you want exactly the same way you would in real life. check out Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades. shooting targets is only gunna be fun for so long :P Also check out Onward it's Basically counter strike but for real. Shooting humans is fun but really what we desire is an ends to a means and that is hunt to live.

Even as good as TheHunter is how many hours did you play Thehunter sitting and staring into the screen just thinking it was just a poor substitute for real hunting. Don't get me wrong Vr is just another poor substitute for real hunting but its on a whole new level where the experience will be blurred between the virtual world and reality. I remember walking around aimlessly in Thehunter and coming across a big trophy buck. I was literally freaking out trying to make split decision in regards to closing the cap and not spooking before I was in range for a shot. Gathering information like wind direction, obstacles, other animals, and planing a path that hopefully puts you in the right spot at the right time. It was seriously intense not to mention take in all the beauty of the nature around you. Man that was sitting in a room looking at a screen and pushing a few keys.. Imagine standing behind that tree in VR and peeping to see that buck and listen to him walk closer and closer.

There will be many hunting games. Because underneath our society ways lurks the hunter and gatherer.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

However the modern hunter gathererer probably rather collect loot in skyrim or caps in Fallout 4 or try to get a kill ratio of 12 in a minute in unreal tournament :D

But yes of course it´s a splendid platform for VR vorpx proves that despite all it´s flaws.

There may be some indie approaches but as old the Hunters game engine is yes it don´t take much to better it so it´s very possible we have another better game beside Cabelas Pro Hunter 2013 in a near future :)
Leadfan
Tracker

Re: The Hunter and VR

Post by Leadfan »

It has been a dream for me to play theHunter in Vr as it is the only videogame that I play. It always get in my mind being there in the bush looking for the far distance, looking right left, down for tracks, behind for a sound that was there, aim with you hands not with a mouse.... However at this stage, VR is in its early "primitive" days, its actually still for enthusiasts no more. The visual quality required for a compelling experience cannot yet be achieved with current generation of VR headsets. It is VR not yet ready for theHunter and not the opposite as I can see. I have been following this VR revolution since it starts with Oculus Rift and the late news says that we need at least 4k per eye and 140 degree Field of view to get a close to convincing experience. When is that? maybe not less than 2018/2019 as all people who tried the current VR headsets almost immediately begin to just dream of what it will be when we get to that resolution as they realize that this current VR generation is not enough but they realize it is just a little bit away with some more buffering . But there is not only resolution also to feel you are really there, requires an other technical challenge with is depth of focus. Other technologies that are not based on displays and lenses may become the standard for VR even before those goals (4k per eye, 140 FOV and depth of focus) take place. Just the next few years will show.
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

Will TheHunter still be there in 2019?
Maybe well seen that they are still with a 2009 game engine (DirectX 9.0c)
But it will certainly not be adaptable to be compatible with the latest 3D technologies (Async Compute), it is not already for VR.

Sooner or later, it will be necessary that EW changes this old game engine.
Can they do it?
Do they really want it?
And will the players follow this change?
Leadfan
Tracker

Post by Leadfan »

It will be there and there is no escaping because when VR become ready for theHunter, more and more people will request it. They could have done it and they have said it before that because of the primitive stage of VR they were going to postpone it until VR become ready for theHunter.
Margarita888
Spotter

Post by Margarita888 »

I've been dreaming of a vr hunting experience since Deer Hunter 1.
Just Immagine a vr leopard hunt at night in the jungle.
Spoiler:
Margarita, EHR hunter since 2012.
nev_vern
Spotter

Post by nev_vern »

Leadfan wrote:It will be there and there is no escaping because when VR become ready for theHunter, more and more people will request it. They could have done it and they have said it before that because of the primitive stage of VR they were going to postpone it until VR become ready for theHunter.

And that is a little selfish. Sure VR is still primitive and all, but that still does not stop people from enjoying their games in VR, including me. Take flight sims for example, the bigger the world, the worse VR is, but that does not stop me or anybody else from flying in VR.

Also, in the age of VR, people are not buying games because it does not have VR support. These are the same people that used to spend money on games before the existence of VR.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

August 2017 I am now putting my hope for COTW. I managed to acquire a gun stock. You link the two motion controllers on one axle and now it works very convincingly as a rifle. Pistols always worked fine and bows is a lot of fun but rifles really require one solid axle for the aiming to work right. Aiming down the sight work exactly as the real counterparts only thing is the sharpness is not quite up to real life of course. But it´s not an issue for the distances where ironsights is commonly used. Scopes can help negate the fact of to little polygons for long distance shots but there will always be some slight handicap with the real long range shootings I imagine but so small price to pay for immersion.

Also the finicky of scopes might not add to the fun it can be frustrating when you don´t get the lining down right in time and see all black when you need a fast shot but surely is realistic. Manually reload just like the real deal and walking around with a real body physically crouching or going prone for your roomscale setup.

So far there is 0 hunting simulators on rift or vive. I don´t count some platform VR shooters that let you shoot monster deer that spawns endlessly.

I wouldn´t agree about VR being primitive. The tracking is sublime also for Rift. Touch controllers is superb. I am not that big of a fan of Vives current controllers but for rifle stocks they will do the job. There is also the knuckles on it´s way. You really don´t must have Vive for roomscale. 3 cameras with Rift and my 360 tracking just about never fails. Naturally the Vive will still offer better tracking with same number of cameras particularly on larger rooms but it works 100 % with no noticable latency for my modest 2,5x2m setup. I admit to not do alot of rolling on the floor I imagine in those scenarios the Vives better fovs may come in play. But then don´t need to set up cameras to track about shoulder height. Can certainly argue the case for higher resolutions but it works. In Cotw you do shots at up to about 450 metres? Spotting may be an issue there as well before binos I don´t quite know to what degree. The only simulation I done is the vorpx mode for classic and it shows it works for classics rendering distances but these are just less then 250 metres at most.

The only lasting potential issue is that of motion sickness. Personally I am not affected at all I can run fast paced fps fine with regular wasd control scheme. Some standard comfort modes may not work well. Teleport of course and shrinking the fov when you move mean you won´t see anything in the peripheral vision. The little you get with the 110s or so degrees you maybe get with the thinner headbands.

But the vorpx with all it´s bugged 3D and what not really shows there is no turning back once these games get proper VR support.
Yansko
Tracker

Post by Yansko »

About COTW by the way,

I just made a video in VR with VORPX, and it works very well because the FOV is adjustable in this engine.

- Nvidia GTX 1080 Card
- Resolution used: 2715 x 1697 (native resolution doubled by Nvidia DSR)
- No other SuperSampling (like SteamVR)
- FOV : 95 (suitable for 16/10, set to 100 for 4/3)
- Additional vorpx sharpen filter at 1.60
- Vsync: Off
- SSAO: 0

Sorry, it's in French in the text;) ... but the key is that it works

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”