What Hunter Techniques would you like to see?

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
gas56
Outfitter

What Hunter Techniques would you like to see?

Post by gas56 »

If you could have hunting techniques that you know hunters really use what would you like to be able to do in the game?

Wind, and Cover scent.
Even though while in the game the wind sometimes does not seem to keep your scent down, even with scent eliminator on. (it only last for 30 minutes in-game)
Most hunters learn early to keep their scent out of the reach of an animals nose and that's what gets them closer to animals in the wild while taking photos, videos, scouting, or hunting.

Fox pee cover scent,.. used for areas that fox inhabit that doesn't spook other animals that also inhabit the area.
There is always some cover scent you can use for an area you hunt, such as Skunk, Raccoon, Acorns, Apples, Pine.. etc.

Stalking or Still Hunting.
Taking 2-3 steps deliberately and making as little noise and movement as possible while in a standing position so it does not alert an animal of your presence while trying to get closer or finding its
whereabouts while looking around the area for animal movement, or bedded animals.

What would you like to be able to do that it could effectively represent your hunting skills?
Sherab86
Hunter

Re: What Hunter Techniques would you like to see?

Post by Sherab86 »

I'm only amateur photographer, not a hunter IRL. And I've rarely worked with mammals. A little bit more with birds. But I can definitely share some of point you made, Gas, such as:
gas56 wrote: Stalking or Still Hunting.
Taking 2-3 steps deliberately and making as little noise and movement as possible while in a standing position so it does not alert an animal of your presence while trying to get closer or finding its
whereabouts while looking around the area for animal movement, or bedded animals.
I think whole system could be reworked. For example, crouching could give more visual "protection", as it does now, but for a price of being louder than standing. Same rule for prone position. And opposite - standing would give least of cover, but one would be moving more quiet. And for every position there could be several speeds to choose (stalking speed included), like it is in CotW, I believe.

When it comes to scent - I agree, but I think this is already highly compensated by maps's topograpy, and other obstacles. And animals's sences are limited compared to reality. Such big care for a scent would have sense to me, if animals's sences of smell would be more sharp (not like IRL, but still better by avarage) - but from other hand this could made the game too challenging with current maps's topography.

I would aslo like to have more soffisticated "attraction zones" system. Game could draws different zones, and routes between them, but with association to speccific animals (or herds) - creating one-session-long believable ecosystem. :)

But I don't think this would be doable with current engine. :(
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I would like to be able to at least get my bow out while I'm prone. We don't necessarily have to be able to shoot prone, which isn't that hard with a trad bow, but it would be nice to at least have an arrow knocked before popping up in front of an animal.

Being able to walk slowly would be nice as well. I've had lots of success doing this.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I would like to be able to at least get my bow out while I'm prone. We don't necessarily have to be able to shoot prone, which isn't that hard with a trad bow, but it would be nice to at least have an arrow knocked before popping up in front of an animal.
This! This has been brought up time and time again, and yet it never seems to reach EW's attention. :?

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”