Can I Shoot It? A tool for permitted animals/weapons/ammo

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
Xeygwyn

Re: Can I Shoot It? A quick tool to determine permitted ammo.

Post by Xeygwyn »

Oh, wow! Thanks for the shout-out on the update - I'm super flattered :D <3

I will definitely get you guys the link for a download - I noticed there's a weapon I need to fix and I need to add the Bobcats. I look forward to getting that out to you guys sometime tomorrow evening!

Okay, so I've just hosted the file from my GDrive for now. Again, it requires Java to run - once unzipped just drop the .jar anywhere you want, click, and go. Please let me know if you encounter any errors, or see anything wrong with any of the ammunition. I'll be tweaking it and adjusting for updates in the future (and hopefully making it look a lot nicer :D ) . Until I see something glaring that needs to be corrected, I'll be working on a Weapon -> Permitted Animals (image) version, which likely won't take me more than a day or so...depending on how much my son decides to drive me bonkers today ;)

Here be the link: http://bit.ly/2wNY6XG

And for anyone interested, and even though GDrive does it's own scan, I uploaded the file to VirusTotal for a scan. You can view results here:
http://bit.ly/2xZgp13

With every version update, I'll update that as well.
neonpossum
Tracker

Post by neonpossum »

Downloaded and using it! Thanks for making this!
Xeygwyn

Post by Xeygwyn »

neonpossum wrote:Downloaded and using it! Thanks for making this!
You're very welcome! :D

- edited to update -

Either late this evening (~midnight EST for me), I should have another version available that is picture and weapon based. It has a tooltip popup if you hover over the image to let you know what animals are listed (though I put them in alphabetical order to make things easy enough Lol). I know some would prefer a weapon -> animal list more than ammunition specific. I went a little crazy today re-working the whole thing :shock: Both versions are independent, you can run either, or both, or whatever floats your boat. ;) I'll add a screenshot of the other version, and edit post later when it's up.

Yay, it's done! (As far as I know :shock: ) I added the HQ images (updated screenshot to reflect - before was quite fuzzy) so that took me a bit longer, and adjusted the tooltips a little. If you see any errors, let me know. Same instructions as before on usage. I'll try to make a semi-java-independent executable version sometime in the future, hopefully.

Here's the link: http://bit.ly/2ymH987

and again the link to the virus scan for anyone concerned about contents: http://bit.ly/2jWCtmL

Again, thanks for the compliments and critiques - it's all been useful :)
Ringalor
Tracker

Post by Ringalor »

Thank you very much for your work, it really helps me. If ever one day you have time, it would be great to have the same program inverted: first animal and then what weapon can be used ....
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

new version is very nicely do....thanks... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

Xeygwyn

Post by Xeygwyn »

outrider wrote:new version is very nicely do....thanks... :D
You're very welcome!
Ringalor wrote:Thank you very much for your work, it really helps me. If ever one day you have time, it would be great to have the same program inverted: first animal and then what weapon can be used ....
Done, and done! I'll PM Hawkeye later to edit first post with the following info:

I've finished a version that will do both Weapon Selection - > Animal List, as well as Animal Selection -> Weapon List. Here's a little preview:

The tooltips in the Animal to Weapon List let you know what other animals are permitted within the same list.
I may wrap the ammunition -> permitted animals into this as well (the original).

Download link is here: http://bit.ly/2y659A9 (Not sure why GDrive always throws a 'can't preview error' when I'm not logged in. Still works fine.)

And of course the VirusTotal scan - which you can run yourself if you like by simply dragging and dropping the program at the main website: http://bit.ly/2hwFtSx

Again, thank you for the kind comments - it really motivated me to spend the weekend trying to make this better for you all. Also, if you see any mistakes, PM me and I'll fix them ASAP. :)
Ringalor
Tracker

Post by Ringalor »

Waouh ! Great jobs ! Thank you so much !
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

Nice work. Thank you for taking the time to put this app together.
It's a shame something like this can't be used in game. Until the "Full Info Sheet" in the Lodge loadout screen actually shows the "full info" when clicked on this will fill the void nicely.
One thing I noticed: 10 Ga Shotgun doesn't specify "buckshot" for Arctic Fox, Bobcat etc. but the rest of the shotguns do.
Also one request: Would it be possible to make the window resizable for people with less than optimum vision? My peepers just ain't what they used to be. Just a thought.
Either way it's a nice app. I put it right up there with McBacker's Real Time Stats app. as two of the best user made apps so far.
Xeygwyn

Post by Xeygwyn »

SloNeZ wrote:Nice work. Thank you for taking the time to put this app together.
It's a shame something like this can't be used in game. Until the "Full Info Sheet" in the Lodge loadout screen actually shows the "full info" when clicked on this will fill the void nicely.
One thing I noticed: 10 Ga Shotgun doesn't specify "buckshot" for Arctic Fox, Bobcat etc. but the rest of the shotguns do.
Also one request: Would it be possible to make the window resizable for people with less than optimum vision? My peepers just ain't what they used to be. Just a thought.
Either way it's a nice app. I put it right up there with McBacker's Real Time Stats app. as two of the best user made apps so far.
You're totally correct, I must have missed the 10 GA - thanks for pointing that out! I'll have it fixed in an update soon.

As for resizing - as the image sizes are fixed, what I may do is simply make a duplicate program (would be quicker) with the option of larger window size as well as larger font/images. I'll try and work either that or a true resizing sometime this week.

Thank you very much for the compliments - it means a lot! :D
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Post by Grizdude »

Very helpful tool!! Thank you kindly! :D

Return to “Fan Guides”