No Rabbit Guides?

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
Foxtrotter
Scout

No Rabbit Guides?

Post by Foxtrotter »

So I went out this weekend to harvest atleast 1 of each species that hadn't bagged yet. I found rabbits to be a huge pain in the neck to locate and their populations are quite low. I know this isn't real life but I'm going to say it anyway; when I go out for fall rabbit hunts, the rabbits are everywhere. The saying "mating like rabbits" is actually based on fact. Last fall I went out for grouse and rabbit with my 410 and came back with a weeks worth of meals. This weekend in game I spent about 8 hours hunting rabbits and ptarmegan and in total i think I bagged 3 of each.

Either I'm doing something wrong (most likely) or the small game here requires a population boost.

I'll take any tips, tricks, advice, guides, etc. to make myself a better and more proficient hunter.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: No Rabbit Guides?

Post by Tod1d »

It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

ive got a pritty good strat for euro rabbits. i havent hunted them in a while id be happy to help mate show you my technique for a modest hunt bout 6-10 bunnies an hour
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I find cottontail rabbits much easier to hunt that European rabbits. I've never been a huge fan of the burrowing system, but at some point I'm going to have to start shooting European rabbits for my ranks, so maybe in time it will grow on me. In the meantime, cottontail rabbits are one of my favourite species to hunt. There has been a lot of talk about lowering graphics settings to make them easier to spot. You can do that, but if you're like me and want to keep the graphics settings cranked up, then a good strategy is to following the tracks and run around flushing them out. They never run far before hunkering down, and that's the perfect opportunity to get in range then shoot them. There are certain areas where they're just everywhere, and it's really easy and effective to take a run and gun approach. A shotgun works great, but I also have no problems using either of the .22 weapons, the airgun or bows.

Snowshoe hares are easier in one respect because there's not as much grass for them to hide in, but they do sometimes hide in the mounds of snow, and you only discover them because the spotting information comes up just before you stand on them. Again, a shotgun works great. As soon as they start to run off you can get a shot off and most of the time, stop them in their tracks.

If you fancy a rabbit hunt some time, let me know. I enjoy hunting cottontails.
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

Thanks guys.

@Tod. I had no idea there was even that burrowing system described in the wikia. Never have I come across those yet that I knew of. At least I hadn't seen them anyway.

@Liam. That sounds awesome. Perhaps this coming long weekend if we can get some free time to sync.

@ David. Thanks for those tips. So far I've just been copying locations from the leaderboard for finding the buggers. I suppose a Run & Gun approach may work better than my stealthy commando crawling in some aspects. Also the distance covered in an hour is far more substantial. I'll take you up on that Cottontail hunt sometime.
Last edited by Tod1d on May 17th, 2017, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: it's "Tod", with one 'd' ;)
Returning Soon!

L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

sure sunday should be good for me, just add me in game and ill PM you the details
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Foxtrotter wrote:So I went out this weekend to harvest atleast 1 of each species that hadn't bagged yet. I found rabbits to be a huge pain in the neck to locate and their populations are quite low. I know this isn't real life but I'm going to say it anyway; when I go out for fall rabbit hunts, the rabbits are everywhere. The saying "mating like rabbits" is actually based on fact. Last fall I went out for grouse and rabbit with my 410 and came back with a weeks worth of meals. This weekend in game I spent about 8 hours hunting rabbits and ptarmegan and in total i think I bagged 3 of each.

Either I'm doing something wrong (most likely) or the small game here requires a population boost.

I'll take any tips, tricks, advice, guides, etc. to make myself a better and more proficient hunter.
I'd be willing to take you hunting for all 3 species, one-on-one, and teach you the trade. I'm on Friday Night. theHunter name: DillaKiller
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

^^^ These guys. Awesome!
I love this community. Not just because of their offers to help and take a member out to show them the ropes but the community as a whole I find are quite genuine and share their knowledge freely. What a great place we've built up here!
Returning Soon!

Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Here's my guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7fXE7tr_C0
Skip to 9:51 for Rabbits
Also covers how to use the Air Rifle.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
reinholt12
Spotter

Post by reinholt12 »

What i normally do when hunting european rabbits, which rarely happens, is i run around looking for rabbits to follow to its burrow. Then when i finally find it i set up a tripod stand and sit above the burrows with a shotgun and then just mow them down whenever they exit their sweet little home. Easy. ;)

Return to “Fan Guides”