Duck Hunting Attraction Calculator

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Duck Hunting Attraction Calculator

Post by xAncalagonx »

So considering there was so much back and forth on the decoys and spinners and how spinners also add attraction for other species I found it a bit messy when it came to figuring out how many decoys or spinners do I need.

Or rather... how FEW decoys and spinners do I need to be covered.

So I made a small Duck Hunting Attraction Calculator.

You simply add numbers in the yellow fields indicating how many decoys or spinners for each species you plan to add and the bottom line (bottom right) tells you how much attraction (counted in number of decoys) you get for each species.
  • Red = higher than 24, ergo wasting
  • Green = 24, max attraction
  • Yellow = Less than 24, ergo not max attraction
This calculator assumes the following:
  • 1 x Mallard Decoy adds 0,5 decoy worth of attraction for other species (ergo 24 Mallard decoys = same as placing 12 decoys for another species)
  • 1 x Spinner of any species adds 6 decoy worth of attraction for the specific species the decoy is for and 3 decoy worth of attraction for all other species.
Let me know if anything is incorrect and I can adjust it.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Attraction Calculator

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Thanks for doing this very handy calculator. You calculator made me realize I have serious overkill for my duck decoy setups. I gave it a good round of testing for you, and as near as I can tell it is calculating correctly. Great job! Just a few notes. It is a bit confusing having the input fields yellow and the total attraction color code also be yellow. At first I thought I would be able to input in the total fields, and it would do the reverse calculations for me and tell me how many of each decoy I would need. The only thing I found annoying was it didn't take zero. I was trying to set some decoys to zero to calculate if I wanted to take just one type decoy to hunt only one species before I realized I had to leave field empty. One suggestion would be to have the total attraction also show as a percent. I think that would be easier and more understanding to quickly glace 100% attraction value instead of seeing the number 24.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

JamboWhoDat wrote:Thanks for doing this very handy calculator. You calculator made me realize I have serious overkill for my duck decoy setups. I gave it a good round of testing for you, and as near as I can tell it is calculating correctly. Great job! Just a few notes. It is a bit confusing having the input fields yellow and the total attraction color code also be yellow. At first I thought I would be able to input in the total fields, and it would do the reverse calculations for me and tell me how many of each decoy I would need. The only thing I found annoying was it didn't take zero. I was trying to set some decoys to zero to calculate if I wanted to take just one type decoy to hunt only one species before I realized I had to leave field empty. One suggestion would be to have the total attraction also show as a percent. I think that would be easier and more understanding to quickly glace 100% attraction value instead of seeing the number 24.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll make some changes :)

And yeah not being able to set it to 0 was an error on my part. The range should be 0 to 24, but for some reason I had a brainfart and set it to 1-24 as allowed input.
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

Nice calculator. Thank you.

From what I can tell 1 of each spinner and 5 of each decoy (9 for mallard) will get me 100% (24 attraction) on mallard and 102.5% on all other species.

Note that the total decoys equal 48 overall attraction.
(4 x 6) + (3 x 5 + 9) = 48
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
wintergoose
Outfitter

Post by wintergoose »

Great calculator. My setup is also an overkill, but that is becase I had a full setup when the spinners arived.

I will take the superfisial to set up a new decoygroop abouth 100 meters away from my maindecoys.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

Glad you guys find it useful.

I was getting frustrated trying to do the math in my head how many spinners and how many decoys I would need to hit max attraction.

At least with this we can mix it up and try different combinations to see how many of each you need to set up a nice duck spot.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

So for those interested I updated the calculator.

It now shows the total cost of the decoys and spinners you select if you were to buy them from the store.

It's using current pricing of 100em$ per decoy and 649em$ for spinners.

Figured that might be handy for someone setting up a duck spot for the first time, or planning to expand or set up a second site.

Enjoy!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

xAncalagonx wrote:So for those interested I updated the calculator.

It now shows the total cost of the decoys and spinners you select if you were to buy them from the store.

It's using current pricing of 100em$ per decoy and 649em$ for spinners.

Figured that might be handy for someone setting up a duck spot for the first time, or planning to expand or set up a second site.

Enjoy!
That's a nice tool - now all you need to do is include the decoy bundles, recalculate costs based on those bundles and tell the player which bundles to buy... ;)
Image Image Image
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

this is cool i like this. its worrying that it costs £60 for a full setup thats 2 full triple A games. and ive got a goose setup aswell. its mental what this game costs, its cheap for entertainment per hour in the grand scheme of things but its extortion in the gaming industry.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

L3M182 wrote:this is cool i like this. its worrying that it costs £60 for a full setup thats 2 full triple A games. and ive got a goose setup aswell. its mental what this game costs, its cheap for entertainment per hour in the grand scheme of things but its extortion in the gaming industry.
If you buy the Mallard Decoy Full Spread Bundle and the 36 Mixed Decoy Bundle, you will "only" have to pay 4,559 em$. But agree that's a lot of money just for duck hunting... :? Let's not forget you'll also need one waterfowl blind and at least the mallard long range caller wouldn't hurt either.
Image Image Image

Return to “Fan Guides”