Duck tutorial (WITHOUT DECOYS!!!)

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Duck tutorial (WITHOUT DECOYS!!!)

Post by baloo.the.dog »

I am going to explain how to shoot ducks without using decoys in the next few steps. I do this often to find gadwall which usually this seems to be the only way I can find them, but I still shoot all other species here equally(in other words; gadwall are not the only dominant species to hunt using this method). I have killed many pintails, black ducks, and mallards doing this method. Ultimately this is a jump shooting guide where I will tell you good routes and places to find ducks.

Follow these steps to find ducks without decoys.

1. start at Whispering Woods lodge
2. run to coordinate: -3928,7728
3. walk to coordinate: -3980, 7916
4. glass around for ducks with binocs and/OR call with a short range caller, and listen for responses by ducks.
5. continue walking along the main bank/shore all the way until you arrive to -3280, 7440, doing "step 4." at every shallow place/crossing, or every 100 meters.

When you find ducks this is how you kill them.

1. spot them all with binocs until you find the one you want to kill, remember they are small and sometimes other that have drifted from the flock might be closer than you think, so be very stealthy
2. prone all the way until you are 60 meters away AND you have shallow water(water you can wade in) in between you and them.(another hint wait til they face you so when they fly, they fly at you)
3. I have found that ducks have extremely slow reactions on here so the next step involves standing up and quickly running at them. You will be surprised at how close you can get to them.
4. SHOOT 'EM UP!!!!

Hope this helps you beginners out. No need for decoys anymore! :mrgreen:
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Re: Duck tutorial (WITHOUT DECOYS!!!)

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Thank you so much for these helpful tips! This is great because I don't have any duck gear yet and now I can make a pass for ducks after my whitetail run. At this point, I mostly want the ducks for the trophies as I don't have particular interest in duck hunting over the other animals. I wanted to know if it was possible to get by without gear and this is so helpful. LOL My only main concern now is that when I tried 'target practicing' with the 12 GA single shot shotgun at the flying clay discs I was only able to hit (1) out of 4 to 6 rounds of shooting with birdshot. The lag on my laptop doesn't help either. The gun responds terribly to the mouse and that makes shooting moving targets very difficult. Nevertheless your tips give me hope that it is still possible to go duck hunting without the bells and wistles. :)
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote: The lag on my laptop doesn't help either. The gun responds terribly to the mouse and that makes shooting moving targets very difficult. Nevertheless your tips give me hope that it is still possible to go duck hunting without the bells and wistles. :)

Im assuming you have your settings turned down, the anti-aliasing and anisotropic settings at 1x and off?

Have you disabled your antivirus? Disabling your antivirus, and even ending its process can help a bit ... really any software running that you dont have a necessity for should be exited and its process ended.

Speaking of processes, have you considered increasing the priority of thehunters launcher process? Incase your not familiar with it, pull up your task manager (by pressing and holding control alt and delete at same time, selecting task manager from the pop up screen) ... From the applications tab, select Thehunter, right click on it and select " Go To Process " ... this will open the process tab with Thehunters Launcher process already selected for you, right click on thehunters launcher ( titled " Launcher " ) and highlight " Set Priority " which opens a pop up menu, select priority " High " and your done.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND SETTING TO " REAL TIME ", set to high ... this enables your pc to know that you want thehunters game to have a higher priority of memory resources and cpu power which will help with framerate, but at the cost of running your computer a lil hotter as its working a little bit harder. The other down side to this, is you have to manually do this each time you start a new game session as when the launcher closes, so does the process and its high priority setting, when a new game is started its process is started at normal priority ... I do not know of a way to have the pc automatically set priorities, if someone does ... please feel free to chime in :D
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

pirahna590 wrote:I do not know of a way to have the pc automatically set priorities, if someone does ... please feel free to chime in :D
Download a program called Prio. You can find it here. It adds an item to the context menu so that when you right-click a process in the task manager, you have the option to permanently save the priority setting.

You can also do it in the registry (which is essentially what this does). I've used the registry in the past, but I believe this application works well.
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

caledonianblues wrote:
pirahna590 wrote:I do not know of a way to have the pc automatically set priorities, if someone does ... please feel free to chime in :D
Download a program called Prio. You can find it here. It adds an item to the context menu so that when you right-click a process in the task manager, you have the option to permanently save the priority setting.

You can also do it in the registry (which is essentially what this does). I've used the registry in the past, but I believe this application works well.
Cool, will have to check that out, thanks Caledonianblues
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

caledonianblues wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Actually I have used prio for years for Minecraft and it really helped. I forgot about that method actually. So today I set my CPU priority to high. Didn't help one bit. My game is playable but barely. It lags like crazy when I glass around with the binocs or aim through a sight. I can make kills with most animals because they move slow. I don't know how bird hunting is going to go. I'm about to try my luck with pheasants for the first time. I'm running on a HP Pavilian intel Core i5 I purchased in 2012. I'm really dissapointed the high priority thing didn't help. I'm open to sugestions that anyone can offer. I set my my advanced settings on my computer to 'best performance' the thing where it makes the desktop look retro. Let's see...I cleaned out all the unessessary programs and crap. What could it be specifically that makes the game lag when I am aiming and zooming? It really makes the game difficult to play.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:Thanks for the tip. Actually I have used prio for years for Minecraft and it really helped. I forgot about that method actually. So today I set my CPU priority to high. Didn't help one bit. My game is playable but barely. It lags like crazy when I glass around with the binocs or aim through a sight. I can make kills with most animals because they move slow. I don't know how bird hunting is going to go. I'm about to try my luck with pheasants for the first time. I'm running on a HP Pavilian intel Core i5 I purchased in 2012. I'm really dissapointed the high priority thing didn't help. I'm open to sugestions that anyone can offer. I set my my advanced settings on my computer to 'best performance' the thing where it makes the desktop look retro. Let's see...I cleaned out all the unessessary programs and crap. What could it be specifically that makes the game lag when I am aiming and zooming? It really makes the game difficult to play.
What graphics card do you have? Does the machine even have a dedicated graphics card, or is it an onboard chipset? If the latter, then honestly there's nothing you're going to be able to do. I've read here on the forum that some people have played the game with onboard chipsets, but I can't even imagine how it's possible with visuals that I would consider acceptable. For me, when you drop the detail level and the textures, the game is not worth playing. That's just my view on it though.

If you don't have a dedicated graphics card, then chances are it will be cost prohibitive to add one to that laptop. Plus it's most likely not going to be a thermally optimal environment anyway. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy external GPUs for that laptop, but it's essentially throwing money and hardware at a bad foundation, in my opinion.

This game is not optimised very well and it only utilises one CPU core. This means it's easy to find yourself in a situation where your CPU creates bottleneck for your GPU. The game also makes GPUs run hotter than the average game. So ultimately the game requires more grunt than it should to run on max settings even at 1080p.

No amount of tinkering with priorities and closing background processes is going to fix your problem. You need a dedicated GPU. I have played this game on state-of-the-art gaming laptops and when you crank everything up to the max, you need headphones just to drown out the noise of the fans. So if you're going to use a laptop for theHunter, and you want to run at 1080p or above with beautiful visuals and a silky smooth frame rates, you need a gaming laptop of some sort.

You just need to decide what resolution you want to play at, what level of detail you want, and at what frame rate. Then you can decide what hardware you need to throw at the game. But the bad news is, I would be very surprised if any software changes are going to make a difference for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

@ caledonianblues

Thanks for the detailed clarity and help! I'm pretty sure my laptop uses a chipset.

I wanted to follow up with some 'good news' about my setup and game performance in light of the issues I previously described. I did a system clean up + I think I found the thing that was slowing my game down more than usual. It was REALLY laggy. Before I was running the game through Steam. Instead I am playing the game through it's own launcher. Then I shut down all processes of Steam running in the background. Plus my virus scan found some crap that had been in my computer which may explain the slower performance lately...so between the cleanup and not using Steam to run the game....my Hunter game is running pretty good...nothing for me to complain about considering the way it was. It's not ideal but it works for me. I'm not lagging like I was before. It's more than playable. It's fun again because it's running a lot smoother when I aim and scope things out. And I get even more fps when I have the graphic settings dialed down to 'medium'. I can even take the 'scene complexity' down to 'low' and leave everything else medium and it still looks acceptable to me. Just as long as objects aren't blocky I'm ok. Anyway, this is at Loggers Point and the game is running much better after the changes above. It's a huge relief. It seems like running the game through Steam was causing issues and I hope that's all it was. I have yet to test again at Redfeather where I was getting all the lag earlier. I don't think there will be a problem. :)
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:@ caledonianblues

Thanks for the detailed clarity and help! I'm pretty sure my laptop uses a chipset.

I wanted to follow up with some 'good news' about my setup and game performance in light of the issues I previously described. I did a system clean up + I think I found the thing that was slowing my game down more than usual. It was REALLY laggy. Before I was running the game through Steam. Instead I am playing the game through it's own launcher. Then I shut down all processes of Steam running in the background. Plus my virus scan found some crap that had been in my computer which may explain the slower performance lately...so between the cleanup and not using Steam to run the game....my Hunter game is running pretty good...nothing for me to complain about considering the way it was. It's not ideal but it works for me. I'm not lagging like I was before. It's more than playable. It's fun again because it's running a lot smoother when I aim and scope things out. And I get even more fps when I have the graphic settings dialed down to 'medium'. I can even take the 'scene complexity' down to 'low' and leave everything else medium and it still looks acceptable to me. Just as long as objects aren't blocky I'm ok. Anyway, this is at Loggers Point and the game is running much better after the changes above. It's a huge relief. It seems like running the game through Steam was causing issues and I hope that's all it was. I have yet to test again at Redfeather where I was getting all the lag earlier. I don't think there will be a problem. :)
Glad to hear you got things running smoother, just wait to you get to see thehunter in all of its detailed glory, thats when the true addiction sets in lol. Happy Hunting!!
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

My first duck hunted thanks to fallowing this guide. :D Thank you baloo.the.dog! :)

Return to “Fan Guides”