Help with Elk?

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: Help with Elk?

Post by ronMctube »

red feather darkwood lodge is the quickest way to find elk !

start at darkwood you walk up road (a whitetail will call sometimes ) if no elk call you turn straight back walk where you came from towards the river few mins down road if you get a male call will often be a group

you want to try to find more than three different tracks this will often be a high scoring group of five or six. one or two of them are often high scoring.

whiteheart around middle meadow or elk meadow seems to be good
thewoodshadow
Tracker

Post by thewoodshadow »

Adding to OP's question, what time would you say is prime to see the bigger bulls?
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

time makes no real difference (some may not agree )

most start at 11am just cause lighting is better
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Last entry here in 2012.

Did something change in the matter?

I ask, because I have real problems with this subspecies. Much more luck with Rocky Mountain variant.

I guess this is partialy due to environment - I prefer open areas and long shots, and IRL and in the game Roosevelt subspecies dwell mostly in dense woods. This is not helping at all. But I've become somewhat fascinated by this magnificent animals (by species as whole). :P So I would like to somehow improve with Roosevelt subspecies too.

I try to hunt them mostly in RFF, starting from Darkwood Lodge. But a side of some lucky spawning situations, I have realy hard time to find even those female-only groups, not to mention some decent bulls.
ronMctube wrote:time makes no real difference (some may not agree )
Well, we know now that there are attraction zones, and different species tend to search for different zones at different time. So do you find yourself more lucky at some specific time at specific location?
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

times never really made much difference for me ever since starting the game.i hunted at all the times and spent many hrs trying to find the " golden time " but the only golden time i find is for the lighting.11 is the only time i use now.

elk are pretty simple. the only thing that really changes is the spawns change round.tower 6 on both redfeather and whitehart work well.the key is to find elk hotspots just visit them frequently.the elk have to spawn somewhere so if you know roughly where they can be they will be at one of those points guaranteed.the difference is what grouping it will probably be.the groupings changed from what they used to be can be changed at a drop of a hat now. so no one knows exactly regardless of any guide made this goes for all animals ! . i could write lots of things but they get changed quickly. :D .
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

I feel like something changed a lot in 2015 something. I used to get tons of them in the darkwood area, could almost get 30 elks in 1 hour if i had a good day with the Parker Python. But suddenly it felt like somebody just pressed a button and they kinda dissappeared. Not that there is nothing left, but it is a lot less than what it was at the time i started playing the game

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

kevin2106 wrote:I feel like something changed a lot in 2015 something. I used to get tons of them in the darkwood area, could almost get 30 elks in 1 hour if i had a good day with the Parker Python. But suddenly it felt like somebody just pressed a button and they kinda dissappeared. Not that there is nothing left, but it is a lot less than what it was at the time i started playing the game

Of course I have no comparison as you do. But I feel same way. I feel there is much more Rocky Mountains Elks in TgT (or at least they occur more "densly"), than Roosvelt Elks in RFF and WhI (don't know about Settlers Creek because I generaly do not like to hunt there). Of course most of "Rockies" met are not worth of the bullet, but at least they are there. :P
kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

Sherab86 wrote:
kevin2106 wrote:I feel like something changed a lot in 2015 something. I used to get tons of them in the darkwood area, could almost get 30 elks in 1 hour if i had a good day with the Parker Python. But suddenly it felt like somebody just pressed a button and they kinda dissappeared. Not that there is nothing left, but it is a lot less than what it was at the time i started playing the game

Of course I have no comparison as you do. But I feel same way. I feel there is much more Rocky Mountains Elks in TgT (or at least they occur more "densly"), than Roosvelt Elks in RFF and WhI (don't know about Settlers Creek because I generaly do not like to hunt there). Of course most of "Rockies" met are not worth of the bullet, but at least they are there. :P
Yea true. As far as i've seen they are in a good number in Setllers, but they are spread out around the whole reserve so i personally don't know about any really good hotspots. The same goes for Whitehart, they are absolutely there but kinda spread out, at Whitehart i think your best chance of finding them is to walk south from The Causaway Lodge and hope to not get only Blacktail.

I really think Darkwood is the best area for them even though it isn't the same as it was at some point

Djehmli
Tracker

Post by Djehmli »

I hunt mainly whitehart for the Roosevelts. Usually start 6am to 7am and work the area around the 'golden tree stand'. You can find the location searching this site or google, but there is a tower (6) to the west a field and a half over from the GTS, and then another tower (12) to the east near a spot I've heard called the field of doom between two roads. I can usually call in Elk in any of those areas from 5/6am till 9 am.

RFF I used to hunt the 'tree stand tower' near the river for Elk, but it seemed to fade away, now I only go to that reserve for bear, moose and whitetail.

Settler's creek, north east corner used to get elk, but haven't hunted there in a while.
Spoiler:

ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

as i have illustrated before the golden treestand is just near a spawn spot.its not even relevant anymore.seeing as most of the spawns and groupings changed.basically if you put a tent or treestand near a spawn area you will get the exact same results as the golden treestand.seeing as these can change at the drop of a hat now.none of the old guides are really relevant. it was never that good in the first place.it was near a spawn spot when ideally you want your tent or treestand near numerous areas of animals.tower 6 is better for eg yet only a short step away. ;)

funny thing was as soon as i made a trophy elk guide they were changed again shortly after.you know they change because you get animals in the location that wernt there previously. on spawn in.

the thing is once you locate areas where elk will be.know they have to spawn somewhere on the reserve you hunting you can locate them pretty easily. as i always say adapt move with the times don't follow out of date guides.

Return to “Fan Guides”